Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why hasn't Cincinnati grown as a city?

Re: Why hasn't Cincinnati grown as a city?

Cincinnati is one of the most conservative, close minded cities in the mid-west. Throughout history, conservative cities either become less conservative, and adjust to the changing times, or they remain small and small minded.

I think the fact that Cincinnatians are afraid of "dangerous black people" says it all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cincinnati is a major city there's no doubt. I think the OP was trying to touch on the size of the fan base and home game attendance.

Before Delta collapsed, CVG Airport was THE midwest hub for air travel. P&G, GE, Great American, Duke Energy, just to name a few big companies with plenty of jobs. The cities compared to above have much bigger factory/plant/blue collar work. (No jabs intended, nothing is wrong with how you make an honest living) Cincinnati attracts a lot of business and commerce, but because shipping things down the river is not the #1 mode of doing things any more, commerce is going to take some kind of hit.

Consider geographics. Cleveland attracts pretty much all of Ohio fan bases minus Cincinnati through the south side of Columbus. Indianapolis is only 2 hours away, and although there is a big chunk of the fan base there I'd say thar Indiana's fan market also shares with one of Chicago's two teams, Milwaukee, and/or Detroit. To the east you have Pennsylvania which is home to 2 professional traditioin-rich ballclubs in cities with huge populations. Kentucky supports the Reds (and Louisville bats) but we all know that Cats Basketball is the blood type of 95% of Kentuckians.

For what it is, I think Cincinnati is thriving as a city and is doing very well as a fan market for their sports. The Cyclones have won the Kelly Cup twice in the last 4 years and their games are GREAT to go watch. UC football has had success despite Brian Kelly's antics. The crosstown shootout is as fired up as it could be.

Look for Reds attendance to go up yet again next year. No one is looking more forward to opening day than Reds Nation.

Besides, in case you didn't know, Lonely Planet Travel Guide ranked Cincinnati USA as a top 3 travel destination. So let's go! "Book your stay at Cincinnati USA dot commmmm!!"

you all just sang that song in your head when you read it.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    Cincinnati is one of the most conservative, close minded cities in the mid-west. Throughout history, conservative cities either become less conservative, and adjust to the changing times, or they remain small and small minded.

I think the fact that Cincinnatians are afraid of "dangerous black people" says it all.
    If you went to UC you would understand. I get about 50 emails a week from UC saying that people have been raped, held at gun point, stabbed, with an unidentified black male fleeing the scene. And that's just a couple miles off of UC's campus that they give updates to. Cincinnati has some very, very bad spots to be in. It's still not very safe down there.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    If you went to UC you would understand. I get about 50 emails a week from UC saying that people have been raped, held at gun point, stabbed, with an unidentified black male fleeing the scene. And that's just a couple miles off of UC's campus that they give updates to. Cincinnati has some very, very bad spots to be in. It's still not very safe down there.
    It was funny. When I was in toronto, I could walk anywhere. Even the projects, were safe to be in. Instead of just blacks, you would see asians, latino's, whites, indians, blacks, all under one block, one street. It was really awesome to see.

I feel that if Cincinnati mixed it's housing development with rich condo's in poor area's than that somehow would create a better mesh, and create a more safer feeling overall.

"or they remain small and small minded.

I think the fact that Cincinnatians are afraid of "dangerous black people" says it all."

EXHIBIT ONE!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    It was funny. When I was in toronto, I could walk anywhere. Even the projects, were safe to be in. Instead of just blacks, you would see asians, latino's, whites, indians, blacks, all under one block, one street. It was really awesome to see.

I feel that if Cincinnati mixed it's housing development with rich condo's in poor area's than that somehow would create a better mesh, and create a more safer feeling overall.
    Toronto is a great city, and very diverse and open minded. I think you nailed it with Cincinnati's lack of diversity. It's one of the most segregated cities I have ever been in. Getting people of diverse ethnicity to love together in the same areas would be a huge first step towards growing the city.

The fact that the suspects are black should be irrelevant.

Jay, you were the one who chose to start talking about race in post #16 of this thread.
    Last edited by Phoenix2; 10-14-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: wrong post number

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    Jay, you were the one who chose to start talking about race in post #16 of this thread.
    Actually, the original poster started talking about race.

I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about race, in fact I think the biggest problem is that we don't talk about it enough. However, we can discuss the crime rate in certain parts of the city without bringing race into it. Race actually muddies the picture, imo. I don't see the contradiction.

Toronto is a great city, and very diverse and open minded. I think you nailed it with Cincinnati's lack of diversity. It's one of the most segregated cities I have ever been in. Getting people of diverse ethnicity to love together in the same areas would be a huge first step towards growing the city.

Yeah. My long term plan is to move to Toronto. It's such a beautiful city. They have quite a variant in public transportation (though there street car, and subway need refurbishing), and I just love how so many people ride there bicicyles around the city. From the elderly, to the young, to buisness men and women. It's awesome to see.

An it felt so healthy to be there. The air, just felt, different. And the people were so, so nice and always so respectful. Even the homeless people were always friendly and respectful as well. Was such a change from the homeless people here or in chicago where there so AGGRESSIVE when they ask for money (at least in my encounters).

An the diversity is so beautiful to watch. Blacks, whites, asians, latinos, indians, native canadians, native americans and so on. If you just visited toronto for a day and you didn't know it was in canada you wouldn't be able to tell what country it was because of how diverse the population was.

Such a great, great city.

That's what cincinnati needs more of definitely. An this is not meant to be racist, because i'm black myself, but it just feels there's this big racial divide.

Don't go to over the rhine-that's where the black thugs live.

Don't go there-that's where black homeless people rome

Don't go there-tons of black people live there

SO MANY TIMES I HEARD THIS WHILE WALKING AT THE BANKS. SO MANY DAMN TIMES.

I feel there's a wall of perception of the people who live in the suburbs and the downtown area and i'm tired of it.

People enjoy generalizing. We see crimes generally attributed to blacks in the downtown area so we naturally become afraid, and assume any crime is due to a black person.

Sort of sad.

How did Cincinnati come to be known as the Queen City?
    During the first forty years after its founding, Cincinnati experienced spectacular growth. By 1820, citizens, extremely proud of their city, were referring to it as The Queen City or The Queen of the West. On May 4, 1819, B. Cooke wrote in the Inquisitor and Cincinnati Advertiser, "The City is, indeed, justly styled the fair Queen of the West: distinquished for order, enterprise, public spirit, and liberality, she stands the wonder of an admiring world." In 1854, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote his poem, Catawba Wine, to memorialize the city's vineyards, especially those of Nicholas Longworth. The last stanza of the poem reads:

"And this Song of the Vine,
    This greeting of mine,
    The winds and the birds shall deliver,
    To the Queen of the West,
    In her garlands dressed,
    On the banks of the Beautiful River."

Seems like Cincinnati needs to find it's inner lost "Queen City"

I guess the UC Crime Reports must be racist...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I guess the UC Crime Reports must be racist...
    Link please. Lets see them for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Link please. Lets see them for ourselves.
    It's called, UC crime reports delivered to my email for roughly 5 years.

Believe what you want. Anyone else who gets these reports knows what I am talking about.

I'd say 9 out of every 10 perp was of a certain minority that no one is allowed to identify anymore. And that's being generous.

So again, I guess those crime reports must be racist.

There is a BIG problem in Cincinnati, always has been. And sweeping it under the rug with denial like yours does nothing to address it.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?