Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: The problem with bringing Rolen back

  1. #1
    Member VirginiaPreps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    The problem with bringing Rolen back

    First of all, I like Scott Rolen, I really do.

    I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

    While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

    The problem(s) with bringing Rolen back

    1) He can only play one position. Most 'bench' guys can play multiple positions

    2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

    What do others think?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    254

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaPreps View Post
    First of all, I like Scott Rolen, I really do.

    I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

    While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

    The problem(s) with bringing Rolen back

    1) He can only play one position. Most 'bench' guys can play multiple positions

    2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

    What do others think?
    He won't get resigned..at least not with the reds. He'll probably retire, unless he really wants to play some more baseball, than I can see a team like the yankees or astros pick him up for whatever reason.

    But I think it's all moot. He know's he's done. Which is a good thing imo

  4. #3
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    The main problem with bringing him back is the fact he is going to retire

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...to-retire.html


    I would LOVE to see him replace Brook Jacoby

  5. #4
    Member redsrolen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    231

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    The main problem with bringing him back is the fact he is going to retire

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...to-retire.html


    I would LOVE to see him replace Brook Jacoby
    Me too...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    marietta,oh
    Posts
    283

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    No interest whatsoever in seeing him return in any role. If Dusty returns and Rolen is on the roster he will get way too much pt. He is nothing but a mediocre player offensively and average defensively at this stage. Time to move on.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,266

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Would love to see him get into coaching.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  8. #7
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,808

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaPreps View Post
    First of all, I like Scott Rolen, I really do.

    I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

    While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

    The problem(s) with bringing Rolen back

    1) He can only play one position. Most 'bench' guys can play multiple positions

    2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

    What do others think?
    1) I am guessing that Rolen can play first. Kinda like Cairo backed first and third and Valdez backed second and short.

    2) That is usually what happens anyway. If a 3B goes down to injury one comes up to replace him. You don't normally lose a catcher to injury and then bring up an outfielder. This seems pretty status quo to me.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  9. #8
    Custodial Engineer Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    337

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Agree with the others here...

    I'd love to have him back.

    ...to replace Brook Jacoby.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

  10. #9
    Member Magdal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tn.
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    1) I am guessing that Rolen can play first. Kinda like Cairo backed first and third and Valdez backed second and short.

    2) That is usually what happens anyway. If a 3B goes down to injury one comes up to replace him. You don't normally lose a catcher to injury and then bring up an outfielder. This seems pretty status quo to me.
    Good Lord! That's a nutty idea...you don't clog a roster spot from an up and comer that could be making his bones on the team. Rolen is done. Why would ANY contending team even give a passing thought to him???

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    153

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    "The problem with bringing Rolen back"

    -another year of Viva La Vida

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Louisville, KY via Orlando, FL
    Posts
    426
    I'd welcome him back in any role except baseball player
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

    Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

  13. #12
    Member BigPoppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    448

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Agree with the others here...

    I'd love to have him back.

    ...to replace Brook Jacoby.
    + 1
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"
    2009 Attendance Record 1-2
    2010 Attendance Record 3-1
    2011 Attendance Record 2-0
    2012 Attendance Record 6-2

  14. #13
    Member MBZags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    239

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by huber14 View Post
    "The problem with bringing Rolen back"

    -another year of Viva La Vida
    Amen, brother.

  15. #14
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,132

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    I'd welcome him back in any role except baseball player


    Oh, come on, dude. You know he taught the club how to win the game he invented (sincerest apologies to redsrolen).

  16. #15
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,132

    Re: The problem with bringing Rolen back

    Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Good Lord! That's a nutty idea...you don't clog a roster spot from an up and comer that could be making his bones on the team. Rolen is done. Why would ANY contending team even give a passing thought to him???
    I'll give it a shot, Magdal. Cincinnati management and fans just aren't as obsessed with winning championships as St. Louis management and fans are.

    We just love a good narrative. Rolen as the embodiment of blue-collar All-American work ethic seems to play well here.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25