Turn Off Ads?

Thread: the idea that the reds were far superior to the cardinals this year...

the idea that the reds were far superior to the cardinals this year...

I enjoy scanning team forums throughout the post season and have read quite a bit here. I totally understand the frustration of a division winning season ending so abruptly. however, two ideas flowing through this forum are simply false. 1.) the cardinals were lucky to beat the nats...an elementary understanding of sabermetrics, which seems to exist on this forum, states the importance of run differential. I believe the cardinals outscored the nats 35-16 in 5 games. This is total domination. Say the game ends 7-5 nats, that would have been 31-16 in cards favor. Quite simply, that would have been very unlucky for the cards. To be +15 in 5 games and lose would have been 1960 nyy world series unlucky. Certainly they have had tremendous luck over the past 2 seasons( freese heroics and braves collapse in 2011, etc.)Heck, even though history will say otherwise, a strong case could be made that halliday outpitched carpenter in game 5 of 2011 nlds. They were lucky to have that miracle comeback vs. the nats, but they were unlucky to need a miracle. 2.) the reds were far superior to cards this year...this is patently false. Once again we need to look to sabermetrics. A quick google search of 2012 3rd order win percentage helps here. Is it perfect, no. However, it is good enough to know that the reds were not far superior. In fact, probably not superior at all. Thanks for reading, and good luck next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: the idea that the reds were far superior to the cardinals this year...

Only Cards fans are this dumb, I swear you can't make this stuff up! If I liked the Cards I would be embarrassed if another fan posted something like this. Cards win 88 games and got 41% of those wins vs teams with 90 or more losses and get into the playoffs only due to a rule newly implemented 2nd WC. meaning every other season in the history of MLB they miss!

Even the AL WC game would have technically been game 163 so as of right now the only team in the history of MLB to take advantage of the 2nd Wild Card is a 88 win Cards team who was 6 games back of the normal WC and we see their insecure fans on here boasting.

I think its comedy Gold, Its like they know how lucky they are but need to come here to convince themselves they're good. A team like the Angels who had one of he hardest schedules in all of baseball and still had a better record that the Cards and built for the playoffs would beat the hell out of them, but they didn't get in because they play in a league with 7 teams that have the same or better record than the Cards.
    Last edited by HometownHero; 10-15-2012 at 03:52 AM.

This is too funny. the cards and reds play the same schedule pal. If you cannot or will not make an attempt to understand this season, you are beyond help. With just a little research (run differential, third order win percentage, etc.) you will see that the reds were EXTREMELY lucky to end with the win total that they did and the cards were slightly unlucky to end with the total they did. The cards ninth inning rally was lucky, no doubt- the very definition of variance. But the reds nine(omg NINE) game lead on the cards was not remotely a reflection of the relative strengths of the two teams, sorry. You may not like it, but run differential is a much better way to judge the strength of two teams. I realize it is terribly inconvenient for your case (if thats what you would call it, lolololol), but it is a fact. just get over it.

by the way, you are right about the angels. once you factor in schedule the angels were certainly better than the cardinals. but, fortunately for the cardinals, and the reds by the way, the angels play in another league. i don't understand what they have to do with the strengths of the cards and reds...what a bizarre way to compare the cards and reds....pretty priceless actually...enjoy the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by beisbol View Post
    This is too funny. the cards and reds play the same schedule pal.
    No they don't, once again showing how stupid you Cards fans actually are.

2012 season games vs playoff teams not counting the 15 games H2H
    21 games for Cards
    25 games for Reds

2012 season games vs 90 loss teams
    55 games for Cards
    52 games for Reds

So the Reds won 9 more games, while getting 3 less games vs the worst of the worst and 4 more games vs playoff teams. I swear you Cards fans make it way too easy exposing how purely imbecilic you absurd fools truly are.

Im still waiting for your explanation for the superiority of the cards run differential. and if you say it's all explained in that miniscule schedule difference, you are admitting defeat; so you might want to head in another direction. now, please proceed with your regularly scheduled name calling, surely it is the mark of your brilliance.

cardinals: 765 scored - 648 allowed......reds: 669 scored - 588 allowed, these pesky facts can really be brutal, it's ok, i get it...your angry
    Last edited by beisbol; 10-15-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: pardon me...you're

pardon me you're angry

Cards had a +117 run differential over 162 games, 92 of that came vs the 3 worst teams in MLB over just 39 games. Throw in the Royals who the Cards get for 6 every year and is the worst team in baseball since the IL started you already have 108 of 117.

Seriously you should leave and send a good troll in your place.

I'm closing this thread because it is basically troll food. If a discussion of the Reds and Cardinals' merits as a team over the season can be started and not degrade into "your angry" [sic] and blatant ignorant trolling, then please have at it. This is a perfect example of how not to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Turn Off Ads?