Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Reds extend manager Dusty Baker's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014.

Re: Reds extend manager Dusty Baker's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Oh Lord.. I'm quoting Daughtery

Our capacity to enjoy anything is kinda limited around here. I know we’ve been bludgeoned with bad breaks. Does that mean we can’t expect the best?

I know we’re a conservative, buttoned-down hamlet. We’re not good at self-love. But this is a very likeable team, with players you can relate to. Todd Frazier is as likeable as it gets. What’s not to appreciate about R. Hanigan? Chapman is a carnival. And so on.

I’m not getting paid by The Club. And I’m guilty, too, of the occasional Dusty-bash. But I don’t let it consume me, to the point where I can’t enjoy what I’m witnessing on the field.

Lighten up, loosen up, don’t let the good times roll right on by. They don’t come ’round all that often.
    That final line has been said by you multiple times. That's why it resonates with you. In fact, you should ask Daugherty why he lifted it from you.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The players failed, but Dusty still got out-manged by Bruce Bochy, who isn't exactly a MENSA member.
    I disagree. There was a game (Game 3?) when Dusty brought in Marshall in the 6th or 7th inning and Bochy decided to empty his entire bench other than the backup catcher and got no hits.. I think the game was tied at the time (?) Anyhow, that was an idiotic move. The Giants ended up winning due to a past ball and error, but Bochy was not exactly "out managing Dusty".

I didn't follow Game 4 and 5 too closely.. I guess Bochy had the advantage of having a guy like Linecum out of the pen.. It's fair to blame Walt/Dusty for not putting Leake on the postseason roster (chosing Simon instead), but I guess I disagree that Dusty was "outmanaged". But maybe I missed a glaring error in Game 4 or 5 that Dusty did (Just saying that I missed parts of those games)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm gonna ask you guys to put them on the table.

Playoffs. Crapshoot or not?

I think they are a crapshoot.

But of course a manager can have an effect on the outcome. Yet in 2010 and 2012 I can't say Dusty was way out of bounds with any moves...so I can't hold him responsible for the 2 series losses.

But that's me.
    I think a team can do stuff to improve their playoff chances.
    It's obvious (but hard to implement).. Correlation studies say you have the best chance with a strong defense and bullpen.. Obviously ace starters and the ability to manufacture runs probably helps too.

But yea, Latos had a bad day on game 5.. for whatever reason, it just happened. Hard to call anyone stupid for deciding to schedule Latos for game 5 though.. Just like it's hard to predict that Hanny and Rolen would have miscues in Game 3.. stuff happens.

So yea, it is somewhat of a crapshoot.. Just like the Astros can sometimes beat the Reds on a given day.. doesn't really mean that the Astros are a better team.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The regular season's the meal -- where you get your baseball nutrients. Playoffs are dessert.
    No doubt, isn't the greatest thing about baseball the fact that it's on every freaking day for half the year?

You don't have to mortgage your weekends to catch a game, when you do decide to watch a game you don't have to slot yourself into one time slot if it's not the weekend, there are games on in the day, on the east coast, on the west coast.

Six freaking months and I wouldn't change it for anything

I cry at the end of the playoffs because it means no more baseball, not because I can't stick my chest out a bit further an declare that I'm a FAN of the best team.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No doubt, isn't the greatest thing about baseball the fact that it's on every freaking day for half the year?

You don't have to mortgage your weekends to catch a game, when you do decide to watch a game you don't have to slot yourself into one time slot if it's not the weekend, there are games on in the day, on the east coast, on the west coast.

Six freaking months and I wouldn't change it for anything

I cry at the end of the playoffs because it means no more baseball, not because I can't stick my chest out a bit further an declare that I'm a FAN of the best team.
    I've already caught myself going to switch my car radio to see if the game's started and then realize the season's over (for the Reds). I watched a tiny bit of one of the Cardinals/Giants game two days ago, but couldn't watch the Cards batting. My wife said I shouldn't be bitter, but San Francisco can't dispatch those guys fast enough this season. We listened to a lot of Reds games on the radio in the evenings this year, more so than usual, because the season was so exciting. Alas.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Welcome back, Dusty.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It all depends on your point of view.

The Seattle Mariners, between 2000 and 2003 won 91, 116, 93, and 93 games. They never won a World Series. Are you OK with that being the Cincinnati Reds for the next 3 years?

The Oakland As, between 2000 and 2004 won 91, 102, 103, 96, and 91 games. Four times during that stretch, they were dumped in the divisional round 3-2. Are you OK with that being the Cincinnati Reds for the next 4 years?
    Why stop there? How about the Twins who, from 2002-2010, pretty much dominated the AL Central, yet got their butts kicked 6 times in the post-season, and in that span never made it to a WS? Does that make Gardenhire a bad manager? Then there are those lovable Cubs who in the last decade lost in all 3 post-season appearances (two under Sweet Lou).

Look at the Cleveland Indians of the 90's,. They dominated the AL, yet were losers every time in the post-season. And the same thing can be said of the Atlanta Braves of the 90s. One helluva ball team, and some of those team won 100+ games. Yet from 1991 to 2005, and in 14 post-season appearances, they won one WS (1995 vs Indians).

Even more examples can be sighted, but I'll stop there.

There's no right answer to that question.
    Sure there is. If I was a fan of any of the teams above, I may be tempted to hang my head, or show disappointment... but on the other side of the coin I could be a fan of organizations like Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and a few others, who haven't sniffed a winning record and/or the post-season in eons. That doesn't mean one is content, doesn't want better results, but only that, as a fan, you could be in a far worse situation (even futility).

You might be perfectly fine having summer after summer of 90 or 100+ win teams to root for. I'm not. I want Championships. I want the World Series being played at GABP. I want parades at the end of seasons, not just at the beginning. I want a new Reds tradition for MY generation -- statues of players I rooted for out in front of the stadium.

I don't want halfways, almosts, and good shots.
    And there isn't a member on this forum that doesn't want the above. It's not like we're content with what occurred this year (post-season). We simply are forced to accept it because it is now history, and it can't be changed. So why, as fans, beat ourselves, and this organization (especially Dusty), over the head, lamenting over what could have been?

We've all been members of this forum for quite some time. Prior to 2006, and for a decade, people on here were wondering ... as we went through managers, GMs, owners, and a hodgepodge of player personnel ..... if this organization would ever get it's act together, quit being an embarrassment, and start putting a quality product on that field and become competitive again.

They have at least accomplished that.

Should they (we) be content. Not at all. But let's be honest here....

As successful as this team was this season, it had it's very glaring "holes" (weaknesses). Some contend this year's team was "built" to win the WS. Well, IMO, if that was true then we'd currently be in the NLCS, and be going on to the WS. We're not. But I'll be honest.... as I watched this team struggle offensively in the last month (September) - and they were bad - I actually told myself "I don't see this team escaping out of the 1st round." When they won the first two in S.F. I thought "Alright! We're gonna do this!" Then that monster reared it's ugly head in those last three games. Sure, we can say losing Cueto, having to juggle the rotation, and Votto not being Votto, hurt us. If someone wants to add the defensive lapses, or even a decision or two that Baker may have made that's fine.

But the bottom line is this team, in those last three games, went 3 fer 24 with RISP, and stranded 28 men on base. We were given golden opportunities and could not capitalize. That is not the mark of a WS winning team. but one that, at some point in the post-season, is doomed for disappointment IMO.

But we'll be back next year, and we will be in the hunt once again. Before we were never in the hunt. And IMO, the regular season, and especially the post-season, should show this FO those areas they need to address to get us to that "next level". That is the only item I'm going to "worry" about this off-season - are they going to do what is necessary to address them? And so far, Castellii and Jocketty have done a pretty good job in restoring this organization.

Every year, at the end, there are going to be 29 disappointed teams (fans). Why?

Last edited by GAC; 10-17-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

And so far, Castellii and Jocketty have done a pretty good job in restoring this organization.
    Better than pretty good, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?