Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds extend manager Dusty Baker's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014.

Re: Reds extend manager Dusty Baker's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014.

Boo. Reds have no chance in playoff situation against top managerial strategists. I'll say it again: kings of the NL Central, joke of the playoffs.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

After living through a handful of managers over the last 10-12 years, I can emphatically state that ANY replacement manager would have you scratching your head six weeks into a new season. Bellyaching about line-ups. Complaining about sacrifice bunts. You name it, the same complaints would rise up.

The garbage Dusty gets called on is the same garbage every manager has been called on. Go back over the last 15 seasons: Mackanin, Narron, Miley, Boone - all got ragged on for in-game decisions, playing certain players, etc. Jack McKeon was the last manager who got positive reviews - mainly because he had AAAA players and still managed to cobble together a winning record.

To me, Dusty's return never has been a question of the FO not wanting him back, but a matter of Dusty's health.

This is not a bad thing.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm fine with it. If someone could tell me how a different manager would have gotten his players to hit the ball in the home playoff games, then maybe I could be swayed.

Hard to argue with 97 wins after the potentially disastrous injuries this season.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    After living through a handful of managers over the last 10-12 years, I can emphatically state that ANY replacement manager would have you scratching your head six weeks into a new season. Bellyaching about line-ups. Complaining about sacrifice bunts. You name it, the same complaints would rise up.

The garbage Dusty gets called on is the same garbage every manager has been called on. Go back over the last 15 seasons: Mackanin, Narron, Miley, Boone - all got ragged on for in-game decisions, playing certain players, etc. Jack McKeon was the last manager who got positive reviews - mainly because he had AAAA players and still managed to cobble together a winning record.

To me, Dusty's return never has been a question of the FO not wanting him back, but a matter of Dusty's health.

This is not a bad thing.
    Yep, there is no perfect manager. All have warts, but in different places.

This thread, and the Dusty bashing is more depressing to me than the playoff loss.

I almost wish they would have hired someone else, just so I wouldn't have to read the Dusty bashing on a daily basis.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If they'd have had a good manager, they would have won 110 games this year. Dusty held them back.

Okay, I made it a joke, but sometimes I think it's true.

Good man. Poor strategist.

1. Low OBP guys in the 1 & 2 -holes. Ridiculous. Patterson. Taveras. Stubbs. Cozart. Give me a break. How in the crap does Votto (when healthy) not knock in 120+ rbi's? Should be a given. It's not with a Dusty lineup.
    Oh, c'mon man. Let's not forget Orlando Cabrera and his .303 OBP in 2010.

I'm very disappointed in this, but I don't have much original thought there.

However, I will say this. Somewhere, Drew Stubbs is on his knees thanking God.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Dusty meet Billy. Billy meet Dusty. (trumpets sound)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I'm very disappointed in this, but I don't have much original thought there.

However, I will say this. Somewhere, Drew Stubbs is on his knees thanking God.

Dusty wasn't Drews biggest fan. I'd say this pushes Stubbs closer to the door.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

This is not a bad thing.
    All managers make head-scratching moves. Great managers infuriate fans in their own cities because they deal with the idiosyncrasies on a nightly basis.

That's not the issue, though.

Dusty Baker has done great things with this club, but merely winning games in the regular season isn't enough. This team has a tremendous amount of talent, but a limited window in which to make use of it. The reality is that these precious few years may be the only time in the next 10-20 years the Reds have the ability to compete for a World Series.

Is Dusty Baker the right guy to make that happen? His record in elimination games screams "NO!" His results over the last 3 seasons underlines the "NO!" and puts a star next to it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm pretty indifferent on this. I can see both sides of it. Dusty had a GREAT regular season and made a great move in G1 when Cueto went down. That being said Dusty was WAY too slow pulling Leake or Latos and it cost his team a chance to move on. I'm just hoping he has learned from G4 and G5.

I had no problem with Dusty till this years playoffs when he was horribly outmanaged. Having said that I am not sure who they could have gotten to replace him that was that much better. Once Francona went to the Indians it seemed the pickings were slim.

I do have confidence in Bob and Walt because more often than not they have made the right decisions.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Yep, there is no perfect manager. All have warts, but in different places.

This thread, and the Dusty bashing is more depressing to me than the playoff loss.

I almost wish they would have hired someone else, just so I wouldn't have to read the Dusty bashing on a daily basis.
    I have to agree, and I don't mind this move at all. Even if Dusty left, the next manager would probably get similar treatment unless things went perfectly. Even Joe Torre got ripped at times for his "x's" and "o's" managing style in NY.

Dusty isn't perfect, but based on his track record in Cincinnati, I don't see many available better alternatives waiting on the unemployment line.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Boo. Reds have no chance in playoff situation against top managerial strategists. I'll say it again: kings of the NL Central, joke of the playoffs.
    Why does strategy not come into play during the regular season?

I can't complain too much. If there were a sure fire improvement waiting in the wings it might be different. As it is I'm pretty comfortable with Dusty at the helm even though his in game decisions make me insane.

He's one of the best guys in baseball and the players love him. His teams have always done very well in the regular season. This is good.

His teams routinely tank in the postseason and he seems to have no clue how to tactically manage a do-or-die game. This is bad.

I have no idea what I would do. Tough to fault the FO either way they went with this one, in my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?