Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds extend manager Dusty Baker's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Reds extend manager Dusty Baker's contract for 2 seasons, through 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Why does strategy not come into play during the regular season?
    It's probably not as important playing against non playoff quality teams who good teams shouldn't have a lot of trouble beating up on.

I don't think it doesn't matter, but you could say the strategy is different. In the regular season you're managing for a marathon, and the playoffs are a sprint. Maybe Dusty is better at managing the marathon than the sprint.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dusty's "due" in elimination games.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I had no problem with Dusty till this years playoffs when he was horribly outmanaged. Having said that I am not sure who they could have gotten to replace him that was that much better. Once Francona went to the Indians it seemed the pickings were slim.

I do have confidence in Bob and Walt because more often than not they have made the right decisions.
    I think Dusty was outmanaged when he needed to win one game and Bochy was on the brink of elimination. Bochy wasn't afraid to go out there one batter too soon instead of one batter too late. I think in Game 5 Dusty made two tactical errors that really hurt the team.

The goal of winning a WS is a real one for this team. In order to win the WS you have to navigate a 162 game season and get into the playoffs. Dusty gives them as good of a shot as any manager of making it to the post season. He used 5 pitchers for the entire regular season and then a healthy Cueto throws 8 pitches and is out of the playoffs. Joey Votto injuries his knee and it zaps him of his power.

Its on Walt to get Dusty a better option in CF. Dusty may have gone too long with Stubbs this season but he led them to a 97 win season. I don't think anyone would have had an issue all season long with the order Dusty ran out there for the playoffs.

I don't have any issue with Dusty being extended. I question some of his moves but I really did not see many better options out there right now. The Indians made a really good hire in Francona but other available names I don't think would make much difference and could actually set the team back.

Whether this team goes to the next level is going to be more determined by what moves Walt makes to fix holes more than Dusty still being manager.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    8th most wins in a season in team history good enough?

Franchises don't dump guys for that
    Yeah, I'm not understanding the rationale for people wanting to dump Dusty. Say what you want about him, but he creates happy, successful teams. If he drive me and the fan-base nuts...who cares as long as we win.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    The garbage Dusty gets called on is the same garbage every manager has been called on. Go back over the last 15 seasons: Mackanin, Narron, Miley, Boone - all got ragged on for in-game decisions, playing certain players, etc. Jack McKeon was the last manager who got positive reviews - mainly because he had AAAA players and still managed to cobble together a winning record.
    Heck Jack McKeon wasn't exactly popular either.. I remember people calling him "Traitor Jack" here.. Similiar complaints about how Jack was clueless, and he was just lucky to have players have career years all at the same time.

I'm thrilled to have Dusty back. "Be careful what you wish for".. When Dusty retires, there's no guarantee that his replacement will be better.

If we continue to contend for the NL Central title every year, I can handle that.
    Sure, I'd love to win the WS, but it's so nice to watch a contending team over the course of the long regular season. 2012 got off to a rough start, but it was very enjoyable overall.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    After living through a handful of managers over the last 10-12 years, I can emphatically state that ANY replacement manager would have you scratching your head six weeks into a new season. Bellyaching about line-ups. Complaining about sacrifice bunts. You name it, the same complaints would rise up.

The garbage Dusty gets called on is the same garbage every manager has been called on. Go back over the last 15 seasons: Mackanin, Narron, Miley, Boone - all got ragged on for in-game decisions, playing certain players, etc. Jack McKeon was the last manager who got positive reviews - mainly because he had AAAA players and still managed to cobble together a winning record.

To me, Dusty's return never has been a question of the FO not wanting him back, but a matter of Dusty's health.

This is not a bad thing.
    Spot on. And even going back to Sparky. People seem to automatically assume that Sparky was a great manager. I'm not sure I agree with that. A trained monkey could've won with that lineup he had. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he was a bad manager...just not what the hype tends to create.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Heck Jack McKeon wasn't exactly popular either.. I remember people calling him "Traitor Jack" here.. Similiar complaints about how Jack was clueless, and he was just lucky to have players have career years all at the same time.

I'm thrilled to have Dusty back. "Be careful what you wish for".. When Dusty retires, there's no guarantee that his replacement will be better.

If we continue to contend for the NL Central title every year, I can handle that.
    Sure, I'd love to win the WS, but it's so nice to watch a contending team over the course of the long regular season. 2012 got off to a rough start, but it was very enjoyable overall.
    It was Trader Jack, from his time as a GM for the Pads, before he took the Reds managing job.
    sorry we're boring

I love it. And I love Dusty. Can't wait to get him that ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    It was Trader Jack, from his time as a GM for the Pads, before he took the Reds managing job.
    And Jack lost all his jobs mostly because what he did in the clubhouse (had favorites, ignored others, complained about players to the press) eventually made his job harder and harder to accomplish in today's game.

Since he became the manager of the Reds, I've been neutral on him (aside from my "Fire Dusty Now" thread earlier this season)
    Classic RedsZone commentary here...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Classic RedsZone commentary here...
    I liked him a bunch... till I punched him in the face

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Yea, I know, people were calling him "traitor" when they got mad at him.
    He got criticized for being clueless on in game decisions too.
    He obviously wasn't clueless.. just people claimed he was.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I'm surprised. Looks like the Reds blinked by going to two years.

Not concerned about Dusty's managing at all, it's a certain style, but I think it can work as the personnel improves.

Hope Dusty's health is good.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    Never really thought anything different would happen. I don't really care if he's the manager or not - which I don't know if that's a plus or a minus.

If the entirety of the coaching staff comes back, I'll feel much differently.
    No changes there either, apparently:

Details are still being worked out, but Jocketty expects to sign all the coaches to two-year deals as well.

“That was important to Dusty and myself,” Jocketty said. “They all work hard. We’ve seen improvement.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...T04/310150099/

Turn Off Ads?