Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Per ESPN:

Reds agree with manager Dusty Baker on 2-year contract extension through 2014 season
    I like the move. Dusty gets the chance to finish what he's started. He's brought the team this far and I think it's his best shot for a WS title.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MBZags; 10-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Re: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Per ESPN:

I like the move. Dusty gets the chance to finish what he's started. He's brought the team this far and I think it's his best shot for a WS title.

Thoughts?
    http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3rvq5gIEz1r3i0u8.gif

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Per ESPN:

Thoughts?
    Yea it's not a bad deal and he could be fired next year if the team imploded and didn't make the playoffs. And anyone blaming Baker for anything that went on in the playoffs continues to be a hater. Sick of you guys making a solid manager a scapegoat when our players did not step up in the big moments and deliver in the post season and that includes the great Joey Votto. And since everyone wants to ride Dusty when he continues to play Stubbs, he might not of hit for average in the 5 playoff games but he had a double, a triple, a RBI, and scored 4 of our 24 runs. That's 17% of our runs in that series. People who continue to call out Dusty need to acknowledge when they are wrong as well but they won't.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 10-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.

<------- hater. Call me whatever you want, but Dusty deserves plenty of blame for the playoffs. At least he won't be able to roll Rolen out there in the playoffs anymore.
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    <------- hater. Call me whatever you want, but Dusty deserves plenty of blame for the playoffs. At least he won't be able to roll Rolen out there in the playoffs anymore.
    Does he deserve blame for the Reds not being able to do anything with the tying run coming to the plate for 4 straight innings? Was he supposed to do anything about the errors in the infield that potentially cost us a game? Was he supposed to do anything about Votto not coming up with any clutch hits the entire series? Was he supposed to do anything about Mat Latos losing his concentration for a few batters because he got annoyed at the balls and strikes being called in game 5? Is it his fault Cueto our ACE, our best pitcher got hurt 7 pitches into his start in game 1? Damn can still add to this... Was he supposed to run out from the dugout and tackle Brandon Phillips on what turned out to be a rookie base running error in what should have been a sweep?

Tell me what was a man sitting in the dugout, a manager of one of the best regular season teams this year supposed to do about all of that? But no you'll just point at one or two plays and totally throw the blame on Dusty completely forgetting that hindsight is 20/20 and that taking a results oriented approach is ignorant.
    Last edited by PumpFak3First; 10-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Does he deserve blame for the Reds not being able to do anything with the tying run coming to the plate for 4 straight innings? Was he supposed to do anything about the errors in the infield that potentially cost us a game? Was he supposed to do anything about Votto not coming up with any clutch hits the entire series? Was he supposed to do anything about Mat Latos losing his concentration for a few batters because he got annoyed at the balls and strikes being called in game 5? Is it his fault Cueto our ACE, our best pitcher got hurt 7 pitches into his start in game 1? Damn can still add to this... Was he supposed to run out from the dugout and tackle Brandon Phillips on what turned out to be a rookie base running error in what should have been a sweep?

Tell me what was a man sitting in the dugout, a manager of one of the best regular season teams this year supposed to do about all of that? But no you'll just point at one or two plays and totally throw the blame on Dusty completely forgetting that hindsight is 20/20 and that taking a results oriented approach is ignorant.
    I'm still stunned that in the 10th inning of the third game Baker did not walk super speedy Arias with 1st base open - the pitcher up next & the only bench option the back up catcher.

This sets up a force at any base -- puts possibly the slowest runner at the plate and removes Romo from the game --- I'm not saying the Reds would have scored later to win the game but the move looked obvious to me at the time -- I was yelling at the TV for him to do it.

Baker starting the runners on 1st & 2nd while Hanny was at a full count with a guy that recorded 193 K's on the mound obviously was a huge mistake but I posted the question asking if anyone liked the idea on this forum before Baker made the call --- I won't call that blunder - certainly in light of the fact that Hanny had already had a GIDP in the game -- but it hurt. I'll give the pass on that but others may not.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Dusty-bashers choose to ignore the 99 games the team won this year, including two on the road in the playoffs at SF. Those mean nothing. But those three losses in Cincy...ah, those mean everything.

You'll never convince some people that getting swept by SF wasn't Dusty's fault, so the rest of us should just stop the wear and tear on our keyboards.

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Dusty-bashers choose to ignore the 99 games the team won this year, including two on the road in the playoffs at SF. Those mean nothing. But those three losses in Cincy...ah, those mean everything.

You'll never convince some people that getting swept by SF wasn't Dusty's fault, so the rest of us should just stop the wear and tear on our keyboards.
    Outstanding post

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    Agreed.

I don't blame him too much for the Hanigan cluster, so long as Hanigan is actually the one who screwed up.

I blame him for pulling Leake and Latos late, as well as losing Paul to Affeldt in Game 5 (instead of PHing Paul against Cain, where he had a chance).

Seriously, a Little League manager doesn't make that mistake.
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

I don't see how the manager can escape a good chunk of the blame for a post season collapse, but I for this season I guess keeping Baker is the right call. Unless there is a sure fire candidate for his replacement who can undoubtedly come in and do better immediately I don't think you give up on Baker just yet. This season is his last chance imo. Anything short of the NLCS is a failure.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

Take away his favorite toys (Rolen, Stubbs), and we'll talk.

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Take away his favorite toys (Rolen, Stubbs), and we'll talk.
    Stubbs had nothing to do with us losing that series. Stubbs scored 17% of our runs in that series. Stats are so awesome.

Stubbs had nothing to do with us losing that series. Stubbs scored 17% of our runs in that series. Stats are so awesome.
    Well, with an astounding sample size of five games, how could I possibly argue?

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Well, with an astounding sample size of five games, how could I possibly argue?
    A lot of people probably including yourself didn't want Stubbs playing the series, much less any this season, yet he produced at the plate with extra base hits and provided runs vs the Giants. Did he not?

He had more RBI, runs, extra base hits and less K's than Votto in the series. Read that again please! People want to hate on Stubbs and hate on Dusty, where is the hate for our best player that didn't step up? It needs to be shared and I'm tired of Dusty always being the scapegoat. I don't care who is on your team but in the playoffs if your best players don't step up then you are not going to last long in the playoffs. Votto deserves more blame than Baker and lets not use the knee as an excuse because we all know Joey wouldn't.

Stubbs had nothing to do with us losing hat series. Stubbs scored 17% of our runs in that series. Stats are so awesome.
    I do not care how many runs he score he had a .211 OBP. He had the lowest OBP of any starter. Stats are so awesome.
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 10-15-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?