Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Re: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    I know we are all bitter about the playoffs. But without pointing a finger at someone explaining why we lost that series, let's hear opinions of Dusty Baker's extension...
    I could take or leave the extension in a vacuum. I do like Dusty quite a bit. I do tend to forgive him for lineup or game-time decisions throughout the year more than some on here. But, while it might be sheer coincidence, his record in elimination games DOES scare me a bit.

I don't know if that's a KPI for being able to manage must-win games, but it's tough not to notice when it starts becoming a 10% winning percentage in those situations.

More than anything, I'm disappointed that this organizationally leads me to believe that Jacoby will also be back. And while it would be unfair of me to acknowledge some of the instances where Jacoby has seemingly been a big piece in a player turning it around or ending a slump, I don't really like how the team approaches offense as a whole.

Is part of that improving the parts and pieces (i.e. table setters, clean-up hitters cleaning up, etc.)? Probably. But I'd much rather have a team of guys trying to grind out at-bats and get on base rather than gunning for moonshots because we play in a bandbox.

Probably a hypocrite for being a little more forgiving to Dusty than I am for Jacoby. But since about mid-2011, we have been a pretty average if not poor offensive club. There's a whole lot of talent on the roster, so I don't know who you lay the blame to there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ok now let's move on. Get a left handed hitting centerfielder who can platoon with Stubbs. Resign Ludwick. Get two left handed hitting utility men who can replace Miguel and Valdez. Figure out what to do with Chapman and Madson.

I agree that Jacoby, although not a "problem" per se, is neither an asset as well. Or at least the team's offensive results reflect that.

I've also noticed a double standard among opinions. And that is that the playoffs:
    1. are a crapshoot
    2. rely a whole lot on the manager

Seems difficult for both to be true.

Nobody wanted a piece of this?

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Just get rid of Stubbs please so he doesn't have the ability to start a .200 hitter everyday.

WFAN's Mike Francesa always says that the mark of an unsophisticated baseball fan is to exaggerate the importance of the hitting coach. Replacing Jacoby is meaningless.

This team hit .266 against southpaws (6th in league) and .248 against right handers (12th in league). We don't need a new hitting coach, we need more left handed hitters. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

Crap

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I assumed that Baker would be back if he wanted it -- ownership seems captivated by him and the Reds' record by itself is decent since he came on board but I will always feel the record should have been better than what we got this year.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Does he deserve blame for the Reds not being able to do anything with the tying run coming to the plate for 4 straight innings? Was he supposed to do anything about the errors in the infield that potentially cost us a game? Was he supposed to do anything about Votto not coming up with any clutch hits the entire series? Was he supposed to do anything about Mat Latos losing his concentration for a few batters because he got annoyed at the balls and strikes being called in game 5? Is it his fault Cueto our ACE, our best pitcher got hurt 7 pitches into his start in game 1? Damn can still add to this... Was he supposed to run out from the dugout and tackle Brandon Phillips on what turned out to be a rookie base running error in what should have been a sweep?

Tell me what was a man sitting in the dugout, a manager of one of the best regular season teams this year supposed to do about all of that? But no you'll just point at one or two plays and totally throw the blame on Dusty completely forgetting that hindsight is 20/20 and that taking a results oriented approach is ignorant.
    I'm still stunned that in the 10th inning of the third game Baker did not walk super speedy Arias with 1st base open - the pitcher up next & the only bench option the back up catcher.

This sets up a force at any base -- puts possibly the slowest runner at the plate and removes Romo from the game --- I'm not saying the Reds would have scored later to win the game but the move looked obvious to me at the time -- I was yelling at the TV for him to do it.

Baker starting the runners on 1st & 2nd while Hanny was at a full count with a guy that recorded 193 K's on the mound obviously was a huge mistake but I posted the question asking if anyone liked the idea on this forum before Baker made the call --- I won't call that blunder - certainly in light of the fact that Hanny had already had a GIDP in the game -- but it hurt. I'll give the pass on that but others may not.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    <------- hater. Call me whatever you want, but Dusty deserves plenty of blame for the playoffs. At least he won't be able to roll Rolen out there in the playoffs anymore.
    Agreed.

I don't blame him too much for the Hanigan cluster, so long as Hanigan is actually the one who screwed up.

I blame him for pulling Leake and Latos late, as well as losing Paul to Affeldt in Game 5 (instead of PHing Paul against Cain, where he had a chance).

Seriously, a Little League manager doesn't make that mistake.
    Last edited by malcontent; 10-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    WFAN's Mike Francesa always says that the mark of an unsophisticated baseball fan is to exaggerate the importance of the hitting coach. Replacing Jacoby is meaningless.

This team hit .266 against southpaws (6th in league) and .248 against right handers (12th in league). We don't need a new hitting coach, we need more left handed hitters. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
    It isn't, except for Jocketty and presumably, Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    Per ESPN:

I like the move. Dusty gets the chance to finish what he's started. He's brought the team this far and I think it's his best shot for a WS title.

Thoughts?
    I am not concerned in the least what Dusty's best shot for a WS title is. I am concerned about what the Cincinnati Reds' best shot is. I don't think this 2-year contract moved the Reds any closer. Unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I like the move. We're definitely heading in the right direction and the players play hard for him.
    I used to feel this way to an extent. I thought it was a Baker strong point that the players played hard for him. But after subscribing to MLB.TV and watching numerous games involving teams in playoff contention, I find that players playing hard is the default position. That would mean the players playing hard for Dusty is not really much of a plus. You can find an exception here and there. Think Valentine. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

Do you feel the Reds played any harder than the Giants? I don't. Do you feel that Bochy outmanaged Baker? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Last edited by texasdave; 10-15-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I used to feel this way to an extent. I thought it was a Baker strong point that the players played hard for him. But after subscribing to MLB.TV and watching numerous games involving teams in playoff contention, I find that players playing hard is the default position. That would mean the players playing hard for Dusty is not really much of a plus. You can find an exception here and there. Think Valentine. But that is the exception rather than the rule.
    Agreed. Personally, I question whether players stating how much they love the guy is even a good thing.

They're comfortable with him. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I have to agree with you TD about the players playing hard for him...They better playing hard for any 'skipper'...Believe it or not I've always had a little concern with Joey being with a hard nosed mgr...I love Joey & his drive to be great, I believe, is at an all time high...but I don't think he or Brandon would do well with the likes of a 'LaRussa' type...
    I have no real axe to grind with Dusty...in fact I think he got tougher toward the end of the season...Having read everything he said about 'Stubbs' that love affair was over...Plus, I've watched all these mgrs in the post season & I'm not impressed...They all have made mistakes with leaving pitchers in too long...not so much Girardi...his hitters just suck...
    I have a big problem with using Leake, as far as I'm concerned they just threw that game in the toilet & you just don't do that in the Playoffs...Just standing there looking at Latos, a young pitcher with problems controlling his emotions, that he had obviously lost & Buster do up at GAPB....Are you flippin' kidding me?? Put about half of that on Price not stepping up....To me those moves are unforgivable...But to think there is a 'golden mgr' out there is a joke...

Watching MLB last night, talking about Matheny, a first timer, while I don't think is great...they talked about him pulling pitchers like LaRussa & that might be the diff in the Cards...If you think Dusty is hated you should read how the fans feel about Leland & the Nats mgr....
    So whats the answer...Dusty...no...but who is?? Trust me, you'll hate him too....

Turn Off Ads?