Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Re: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Not hard in the playoffs apperantly
    Nah they played hard in the playoffs. I loved the fight they showed down to the very last out. We just got beat.

Injuries and lack of clutch hits are why we lost.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I like the move. We're definitely heading in the right direction and the players play hard for him.
    This is a good point too. The players love him. It would be a very risky move to fire Dusty and bring another guy in, especially off this season even if it ended in a very disappointing manner. That is the type of move that wouldn't sit well with some players and we could be looking at one of those seasons where the chemistry is completely gone and there are some very unhappy players in the locker room. It's a very fine line. It's easier to add a few players to the mix and try again next year than it is to fire Dusty and try a sort of start from scratch approach.

Can we at this least fire Brook Jacoby? Its his fault the most the Reds failed

Stubbs hit .211 in the series. Yeah, he was right as rain.
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    He was also at the bottom of the order and not at the plate in very many big situations. He's not even in the top 5 of reasons we lost in the NLDS.

I have tried many times to see it from another perspective, from a Dusty Hater's point of view and I still don't get it. It seems as if it's purely subjective and intangible arguments. When I say intangible I mean there is no way to prove the argument. (i.e. one lineup being better than another, how much/little to use a pitcher, etc.)

I very much support Dusty Baker. I think his accomplishments with this team speak for themselves. 2 Division titles after a 15 year drought. Reds had an MVP during his tenure. 92 and 97 win seasons. Might manager of the year this year. And although an intangible, the boys love playing for him. He's got this team playing as one unit, and we all saw the fight in game 5. That, above all else, is priceless in the clubhouse.

Even when we took 2 in San Fran, Giants fans still gave him more respect than what he gets from his own fan base.

On the plus side, though Stubbs DID have a OBP of .211 and steal zero bases. I wish he could play more.
    "Why's he keep callin' me meat? I'm the guy drivin' a Porsche." - Calvin LaLoosh

Moneyball = Mulder, Hudson, Zito

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by ukwazoo View Post
    He also scored every time he got on base so he obviously didn't need to steal. Also you aren't going to steal a base when half of your hits are extra base hits. Like I said 17% of our runs. We know Stubbs will never hit for average but he wasn't going up there and completely whiffing either the way he usually does. He out produced Votto outside of AVG for christ sake in the 8 hole! That is unacceptable from Joey. Blaming Stubbs your 8 hitter for anything that went on in that series when he contributed more than your best player is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    I have tried many times to see it from another perspective, from a Dusty Hater's point of view and I still don't get it. It seems as if it's purely subjective and intangible arguments. When I say intangible I mean there is no way to prove the argument. (i.e. one lineup being better than another, how much/little to use a pitcher, etc.)

I very much support Dusty Baker. I think his accomplishments with this team speak for themselves. 2 Division titles after a 15 year drought. Reds had an MVP during his tenure. 92 and 97 win seasons. Might manager of the year this year. And although an intangible, the boys love playing for him. He's got this team playing as one unit, and we all saw the fight in game 5. That, above all else, is priceless in the clubhouse.

Even when we took 2 in San Fran, Giants fans still gave him more respect than what he gets from his own fan base.
    To some fans every loss is because of Dusty and every win is in spite of him. It's just a warped way some people look at it.

Joey wasn't exactly Joey during the playoffs so comparing his production to Stubbs' is a bit of a reach

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Joey wasn't exactly Joey during the playoffs so comparing his production to Stubbs' is a bit of a reach
    No you can't make excuses like that. Joey wouldn't do it, Joey still hit for a great average in that series too but he whiffed on every clutch opportunity he had. Every single one. You can't have that out of your best player.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    No you can't make excuses like that. Joey wouldn't do it, Joey still hit for a great average in that series too but he whiffed on every clutch opportunity he had. Every single one. You can't have that out of your best player.
    Cant believe im agreeing with u but i am. Ill place the blame on Votto for the offense before Stubbs. Stubbs had a pretty good series for him, this is why i think Votto needs more days off next season to save him for when it really matters

Bakers Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Cant believe im agreeing with u but i am. Ill place the blame on Votto for the offense before Stubbs. Stubbs had a pretty good series for him, this is why i think Votto needs more days off next season to save him for when it really matters
    It was bound to happen. Pain brings us together

I know we are all bitter about the playoffs. But without pointing a finger at someone explaining why we lost that series, let's hear opinions of Dusty Baker's extension...

Well, we better hope to out-talent everyone because we won't out manage them.

Turn Off Ads?