Nobody wanted a piece of this?

Well, when you put it that way...sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    EMAW

Re: Dusty Baker Signs 2-Year Extension

AWESOME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedVA View Post
    Well, we better hope to out-talent everyone because we won't out manage them.
    sounds just like Ohio State basketball

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It isn't, except for Jocketty and presumably, Baker.
    Yes it is- look at post #39, yet another guy complaining because they didn't walk the weak hitting right handed batter to get to the switch hitting Sanchez, against the right handed Broxton. Now I realize that this is just after the fact second guessing but it just shows how little attention fans pay to the left/righty deal, which is the name of the game.

Resident Giants Fan

I believe in the grand scheme of things, the Reds could do a lot worse than Dusty Baker at the helm.

As a Giants fan, I can absolute affirm that Baker is not without his faults; namely, a deeply rooted loyalty to his players that translates into entirely too much rope for his starting pitchers. There is definitely a fine line between having your guy's back, letting him learn how to work his way out of a jam... And not knowing when to give somebody the hook. Amidst Games 4 and 5 of the NLDS, I got crazy de ja vu watching Baker as he allowed both Mike Leake and Mat Latos to shoot themselves in the foot. I can only imagine - if it was obvious to us in the Bay that Latos was disturbed by the shaky ball called to Gregor Blanco - that everyone in the Red's Nation knew it was time to make a change before the whole thing got out of hand. Unfortunately for the Reds, Dusty was in classic form and waited until Buster Posey ran into one before lifting Latos in typical too-little-too-late fashion.

However, Dusty's short-comings when it comes to holding and folding his pitchers cannot overrule the rest of his managerial prowess.

To my mind, Dusty Baker is a phenomenal hitter's manager; every team he manages seems to elevate to amongst the league's most feared lineups. Baker knows how to protect his cleanup hitter - a quality that Bruce Bochy doesn't share; the Giants were hitting Angel Pagan 5th for far too long midseason and I'm sure you folks all noticed Posey hitting without men on base all through the series. Baker assembles lineups like a true maestro; installing Brandon Phillips at the top of the order to provide thump right from the get-go, as he did with Soriano in Chicago and even Rich Aurillia in SF. Speedy, OBP guys at the top is the norm, but Baker is capable of defying tradition with marked success - how many managers can convince a home run hitter to buy into the idea of being a team's initiator?

It's also worth noting that Baker got the best season out of Ryan Ludwick since 2008. When I watched him frequently in the NL West playing for SD, he looked like he was done. In the NLDS, he looked damn near unstoppable. It was a monstrous turn-around and you can't deny that Baker surely had a hand in his success. Scott Rolen is another veteran that looked burnt out on other squads before Baker gave him second life.

Anyways, I suppose the bottom line is that the Reds are one of the NL's 2 most dangerous offensive lineups and that's a title they've earned under Baker. To me, he fits the bill for what Cincinatti is trying to do and despite a disheartening post-season record that's been marked by tremendously inspirational comebacks by opposing squads, Baker is far from incompetent and if he's healthy, he's an asset to any team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonster View Post

As a Giants fan, I can absolute affirm that Baker is not without his faults; namely, a deeply rooted loyalty to his players that translates into entirely too much rope for his starting pitchers.
    Except everybody is complaining that he took Homer out too early in game 3.

Resident Giants Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Except everybody is complaining that he took Homer out too early in game 3.
    Yeah, that was a huge break. Homer Bailey was killing it in game 3.

Resident Giants Fan

Again, it goes back to Dusty not knowing when to fold em... or when to hold em. The Reds would be infinitely safer is Baker gave all pitching sub duties to Price. I always felt like that's what he should have done with Raggetti in SF.

I just Wish the Reds would get a different Hitting coach.. For 5 years this team has often not hit in the clutch. A different set of ears and hitting approach would do wonders..

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Stubbs had nothing to do with us losing hat series. Stubbs scored 17% of our runs in that series. Stats are so awesome.
    I do not care how many runs he score he had a .211 OBP. He had the lowest OBP of any starter. Stats are so awesome.
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 10-15-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
    Again, it goes back to Dusty not knowing when to fold em... or when to hold em. The Reds would be infinitely safer is Baker gave all pitching sub duties to Price. I always felt like that's what he should have done with Raggetti in SF.
    How do you know he hasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I used to feel this way to an extent. I thought it was a Baker strong point that the players played hard for him. But after subscribing to MLB.TV and watching numerous games involving teams in playoff contention, I find that players playing hard is the default position. That would mean the players playing hard for Dusty is not really much of a plus. You can find an exception here and there. Think Valentine. But that is the exception rather than the rule.

Do you feel the Reds played any harder than the Giants? I don't. Do you feel that Bochy outmanaged Baker? Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    I agree mostly. Teams in playoff contention aren't usually changing managers though, for good reason. The guys that are there are doing a good job.

I think Bochy outmanaged Dusty really bad in game 4. Actually, his use of the bullpen in game 4 was perfection...doesn't get any better. I thought Dusty managed the game of his life in game 1 in a really tough situation. Out of the others nothing really jumps out at me.

When you look at games 3 and 5 they could have gone either way. Dusty might have pulled Homer too early, but the way that game was going we needed offense. Bochy also had a quick hook with his starters, even when they were pitching well. I don't think he left Latos in too long either...in the situation I think we needed to trust Latos to get out of that. I would have liked a coaching visit to the mound though.

Overall I think Dusty and Bochy both put their teams in great situations to win the series, the Giants players just got it done.

Resident Giants Fan

How do you know he hasn't?
    I suppose I don't for sure... I'm making a bit of an assumption based on the fact that Baker-managed teams always seem to have issues with when their pitchers are getting pulled, be it too early or too soon.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Yes it is- look at post #39, yet another guy complaining because they didn't walk the weak hitting right handed batter to get to the switch hitting Sanchez, against the right handed Broxton. Now I realize that this is just after the fact second guessing but it just shows how little attention fans pay to the left/righty deal, which is the name of the game.
    how did your idea work out?
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by PumpFak3First View Post
    Does he deserve blame for the Reds not being able to do anything with the tying run coming to the plate for 4 straight innings? Was he supposed to do anything about the errors in the infield that potentially cost us a game? Was he supposed to do anything about Votto not coming up with any clutch hits the entire series? Was he supposed to do anything about Mat Latos losing his concentration for a few batters because he got annoyed at the balls and strikes being called in game 5? Is it his fault Cueto our ACE, our best pitcher got hurt 7 pitches into his start in game 1? Damn can still add to this... Was he supposed to run out from the dugout and tackle Brandon Phillips on what turned out to be a rookie base running error in what should have been a sweep?

Tell me what was a man sitting in the dugout, a manager of one of the best regular season teams this year supposed to do about all of that? But no you'll just point at one or two plays and totally throw the blame on Dusty completely forgetting that hindsight is 20/20 and that taking a results oriented approach is ignorant.

Dusty-bashers choose to ignore the 99 games the team won this year, including two on the road in the playoffs at SF. Those mean nothing. But those three losses in Cincy...ah, those mean everything.

You'll never convince some people that getting swept by SF wasn't Dusty's fault, so the rest of us should just stop the wear and tear on our keyboards.

Turn Off Ads?