Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melky Cabrera?

Re: Melky Cabrera?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
    I've always thought Stubbs had 5-tool potential. From the outside looking in, he seemed like one of your guys' studs. What happened? He literally just can't stop striking out or what?
    Stubbs for one reason or another has lost all vision of the strike zone. He does not swing at strikes on the inside part of the plate yet will dive after a breaking ball that moves far away from him. He has lost all confidence at the plate and his batting average has dropped after each of the past three years.

UNLESS he is hitting in Wrigley Field. Then he looks like a 9 time All-Star. But then again, who doesn't against Cubs pitching?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Edinson Volquez might disagree with you.
    And he is gone ...right!!!

I would love Melky in Cincinnati. He would be the perfect lead off hitter in GABP...if they get him and can retain Ludwick it changes the whole element of the lineup.

Cabrera
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ludwick
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Hanigan
    Cozart

That would be a monster lineup. You could flip BP and Melky if you wanted...point being that you get a good avg/obp in front of Votto...and if even one out of the two get on base and have to face Votto do you walk him and put Luddy at the plate and Bruce on deck?

Now if only the whole lineup could get some consistency...

I know it is only speculation and it's fun to play "What If". But what price do we really think we would have to pay for Melky? 3 Years $20 Million? I don't see the Reds dropping that kind of Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    I know it is only speculation and it's fun to play "What If". But what price do we really think we would have to pay for Melky? 3 Years $20 Million? I don't see the Reds dropping that kind of Cash.
    You're being to generous. After the PED scandal, I see many teams hesitant and reluctant on signing him.

Personally, I see a 1 year control.

1 year-3 million? Sounds reasonable.

Resident Giants Fan

Unless the Red Sox, who suddenly need a LF and just traded their payroll away, offer him something in the ballpark of 3-years, $15 million. Those fools plucked our sloppy seconds with Cody Ross a year ago and are loving the results.

Melky's going to take the deal with the most years and I doubt there will be a lack of suitors willing to offer more than a $3 million audition contract for a guy that was on pace to hit 200 knocks for the second straight year. Guys like that don't grow on trees, scandal or not. It's also worth noting that Melky was making about $6 million this year on his final season of arbitration. While I agree that he mucked up his pay day by getting caught, I seriously doubt the best offer he receives will be half of what he made this year. If the Reds want him, they're gonna have to offer 2 or 3 years that add up to 7 digits.

Melky will want a one year deal, he just turned 28 years old two months ago so it does him no good to take a multi-year low ball deal when he can play one year at a reduced rate and rehab his value and image and then strike gold for his last big contact.

We're a perfect fit for him to look to do that. We have a shot to win, have a nice hitters park and play in a division with a few other hitters parks as well with not many legit Aces currently in it he division.

If a team like the Red Sox panic they may do a one year deal at bigger money than elsewhere with a 2nd season at legit market value. But doing that risks going back into the ultra competitive AL East where he was already just a marginal player.

Considering that whole organization threw him right under the bus immediately after the incident, I can't imagine that many people liked him in the Giants' club house even before the incident.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

I want no part of Melky Cabrera. Why sign a guy who carries that kind of stigma and has a history of attitude problems? The Reds can and should do better.

Turn Off Ads?