Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sell high?

Cruisin' for trouble

Sell high?

Homer had a terrific finish this year. His stock is probably high at the moment. IF the Reds entertained the idea to trade Homer, knowing he is not likely to sign a long-term deal (doesn't like pitching at the GABP), what could they expect in return? A Latos-type return?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sell high?

IMO I wouldnt trade him. I think we need Homer and he looks to be poised for a big year in 2013. I think that him not liking GABP is more of a media/fans thought about him and is probably overblown to an extent. Hes our 3rd starter and this rotation will need him. Bronson had an extremely effective year but i dont see him repeating everything he did in 2013. With that being said I do think Leake will be a whole lot better. No way do we get a haul like the Padres got for Homer. He has good trade value but not that good. Also we need major league starting pitching. Take a look at our depth and you'll find that there is hardly any unless you think Redmond or Villareal will be good next year. We have to keep what we have until the guys we have drafted are ready to take the hill in the big leagues. It will be hard for this staff to all pitch 200 innings and make 30 or more starts again. Its only happened a handful of times. Homer is a key to 2013 and Walts postgame news conference after game 5 he was praising Homer and looking forward to him continuing that success in 2013. sounds to me like the Reds want to keep him in the wishbone C.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Let's sell high on Cueto too.

Or not.

Homer is going to make pennies on the dollar for his production next year if he can come even close to repeating what he did this year. You don't trade guys like that.

I think teams in bigger parks would be interested in Bailey, for sure. How much would he bring back is another matter. There is actually a decent amount of starting pitching on the market this year, so it may be best to hold on to Homer. I like the angle, though. I think to some extent Homer is a good story and provides definition to the Reds organizational identity. We all know his story.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Homer (and maybe even Cingrani) might be the cost for a guy like Fowler, who can lead off, play CF and get on base.

Move Chapman to the rotation next year, and you fill that hole. I don't think the Rockies would want Leake pitching in that ballpark.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Homer (and maybe even Cingrani) might be the cost for a guy like Fowler, who can lead off, play CF and get on base.

Move Chapman to the rotation next year, and you fill that hole. I don't think the Rockies would want Leake pitching in that ballpark.
    You fill that hole for about 150 innings. Then what?

I agree with Doug. The Reds can pencil 4 or 5 legit starters in for next year (depending on your thoughts on Leake/Chapman etc.). That puts them a step ahead of most teams. Let's keep it that way.

If we can get Ludwick back, fill the Rolen vacancy with a decent backup to Todd, and marginally upgrade Cairo and Valdez...I'd be happy to head into next year with that. The foundation is laid.

An upgrade in CF would be a bonus. And no doubt always be on the lookout for affordable upgrades/trades.

I believe that Walt will move to upgrade leake's spot in the rotation. If you then deal Homer you have to come up with two quality starters. I don't go to ST with Cingrani or Corcino in my Opening Day rotation and I believe moving Aroldis to the rotation would be very ill-advised at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In your opinion how far away is Hamilton? Why are people talking about unloading the strength of the team, SP, for a CF when the future can't be that far away.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I agree, there is no guarantee Chapman will ever be as good a SP as he was a reliever this year, and no way does he go more than 150 IP next year, if that much.

I also keep Homer; I was just pointing out what a good young leadoff CF might cost.

One more year of Stubbs, hitting 8th, and waiting on Hamilton? I think we'll see a lot of Hamilton leading off and playing CF in Goodyear next March.
    sorry we're boring

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I've proposed some wild ideas on the other thread, but I agree. If they can get Fowler to lead off or bat second to play CF, and get rid of Stubbs low OBP and K's, I'll be tickled to death.

Sure, re-sign Ludwick. Bolster the bench. Stick with the 5 starters. Try and keep the bullpen intact with maybe a mild upgrade on Arredondo.

I can see standing pat with just upgrading CF.

Then you have Cingrani and Corcino maturing at triple A to take the place of Arroyo in 2014.

Hamilton maturing at triple A to hopefully be a factor sooner than later.

I get the patience, grasshopper way of thinking.

While I understand the need to fill some holes, especially up the middle, I remind myself that nothing is more important up the middle of the field than pitching. The Reds have a shot at a wicked good rotation and I want to see them stick with it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

Nope, keep Homer. We have that guy (Fowler), only better, already. His name is Billy Hamilton, and he is playing CF in the AFL right now.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Nope, keep Homer. We have that guy (Fowler), only better, already. His name is Billy Hamilton, and he is playing CF in the AFL right now.
    Dexter Fowler has a 117 OPS+ last year. In the Majors. Billy Hamilton doesn't have 117 at bats in AAA (or any for that matter).

Now that he's good, we're going to trade Homer?

Nah.

Here are the guys to trade - Stubbs, Heisey, Leake, Gregorius, and either Cingrani or Corcino.

If you want to sell high, maybe Arroyo. Will never have this kind of value again and has one year left on his deal. Won't happen though.

Turn Off Ads?