Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sell high?

Re: Sell high?

What do you think the chances are that they'll shop Mesorasco? I'd think he would still have a great deal of value

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Here are the guys to trade - Stubbs, Heisey, Leake, Gregorius, and either Cingrani or Corcino.
    Three below-average major leaguers, and three B-level prospects. Who would want them?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The Reds used 5 starters for every game save one this season. What the are odds that happens again?

Never have enough pitching. Keep 'em all, unless getting another starter back.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

you do not trade Cingrani or Corcino unless you are getting proven All star talent that is cheap....those 2 guys are the future of this club. you dont find guys with their make up to oftne..Cingrani might just be the guy who comes up mid to late season and carries this team off to the playoffs.....there is always a team that brings up that young stud late in the year that teams just havent seen and he usually does welll.....why cant Cingrani and Corcino be those guys....our starting 5 needs to be rested and who better to give them late year rest than 2 young studs? Guys, this team is shaping up to be a freaking powerhouse in the next few years.....we just need a few pieces to the puzzle and we are going to to go on a 3-5 year stretch like never seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    you do not trade Cingrani or Corcino unless you are getting proven All star talent that is cheap....those 2 guys are the future of this club. you dont find guys with their make up to oftne..Cingrani might just be the guy who comes up mid to late season and carries this team off to the playoffs.....there is always a team that brings up that young stud late in the year that teams just havent seen and he usually does welll.....why cant Cingrani and Corcino be those guys....our starting 5 needs to be rested and who better to give them late year rest than 2 young studs? Guys, this team is shaping up to be a freaking powerhouse in the next few years.....we just need a few pieces to the puzzle and we are going to to go on a 3-5 year stretch like never seen before.
    Ok, serious question. It's July 31st, 2012 all over again. You can get a bat that could have gotten a big hit last Thursday. You sell either one of them in hindsight? I think I do.

So in the last three posts, Cingrani/Corcino are called B prospects and also called near untouchables. That's RedsZone, an array of opinions.

I think Gregorius and one of Cingrani/Corcino with, say, Heisey, would bring a solid major league starting player back.

If the Reds add a veteran starter, say in free agency, I think Leake can get you a good prospect and a good major league bench player.

Stubbs, I find it hard to judge his value. Will a team see his potential, or will it see his current batting statistics? My guess is he isn't worth too much, he'll be viewed as all field no hit.

IMO, Rolen, Stubbs, Heisey, Cairo, and Valdez are the guys the Reds should replace this year. Rolen really can't hack another full MLB season. Stubbs is a K machine. Heisey is another righty hitter with power but bad plate discipline who keeps the team's OBP down. Cairo seems done, Valdez simply can't hit.

Add Frazier to the starting lineup, re-sign Ludwick, add a lefty CF who makes contact and walks some (Denard Span maybe), and beef up the bench with decent guys, lefties and righties, and you will have significantly upgraded the offense IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Three below-average major leaguers, and three B-level prospects. Who would want them?
    Cingrani, Corcino and Gregorius have a lot of value. Young SP prospects proven at AA and a 22-yr old SS prospect who plays excellent defense with a pretty high offensive ceiling. A lot to like there for any team looking to build up their talent base.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 10-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Probably most teams in the MLB.

Even if you characterize the major leaguers as below average, every team has them and needs them.

And those B-level prospects have decent value.

Cueto would have been one of those so called B-level prospects at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What do you think the chances are that they'll shop Mesorasco? I'd think he would still have a great deal of value
    If he'd help net a Fowler-type player, I think you have to. The Reds are fully in win-now mode...

I know there are many here who do a better job following the minor leagues. Is there any chance that Cozart is the one we should look to move and keep Gregorious? Would Cozart bring back more value?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Reds are fully in win-now mode...

Are they?

If the reds "are fully in win-now mode," then does it make sense to wait a year for Billy Hamilton? or would they be more inclined to deal him for what they need right now?

I mean...if you resign Ryan Ludwick then there really is only one slot left for a high on-base percentage leadoff hitter to play next year. He's got to play centerfield.

Do you put Billy Hamilton on the table in order to get your centerfielder for next year?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Are they?

If the reds "are fully in win-now mode," then does it make sense to wait a year for Billy Hamilton? or would they be more inclined to deal him for what they need right now?

I mean...if you resign Ryan Ludwick then there really is only one slot left for a high on-base percentage leadoff hitter to play next year. He's got to play centerfield.

Do you put Billy Hamilton on the table in order to get your centerfielder for next year?
    I think there is a key and important difference between win now and win only now. The front office is putting together a very solid core. Trading Hamilton at this point might help 2013 but how much would it hurt from 2014 on?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If he'd help net a Fowler-type player, I think you have to. The Reds are fully in win-now mode...

While they are in win-now mode, it's not like thay have a short expiration date.

They would only include Mes in a trade for a player they control for multiple years.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I agree with Doug. The Reds can pencil 4 or 5 legit starters in for next year (depending on your thoughts on Leake/Chapman etc.). That puts them a step ahead of most teams. Let's keep it that way.

If we can get Ludwick back, fill the Rolen vacancy with a decent backup to Todd, and marginally upgrade Cairo and Valdez...I'd be happy to head into next year with that. The foundation is laid.

An upgrade in CF would be a bonus. And no doubt always be on the lookout for affordable upgrades/trades.
    I think you nailed it right here. ONly other thing I can add is I'd like to see another starter. You just can't depend on all 5 starters not getting hurt and we are a little week. I just have this feeling Chapman is staying in the closer role and I don't think it bothers me.

Turn Off Ads?