Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade Mesoraco?

Re: Trade Mesoraco?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I've thought about that too. I would give him a 3b glove first to see if that would work. His offensive profile could potentially replace Ludwick right away...just need to get him going.
    Austin Kearns is that you? Never considered that idea though. Could you see a possibility of giving Mesoraco a try in OF (like the Nats did with Harper) and let him catch 3-4 times a week, let Hanigan catch a couple times a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mesoraco and his potential.

Let's say you trade Mesoraco right now, at his lowest point since probably 2008, what do you get back? Probably not a whole lot. Certainly not an impact player.

So then what, you add salary for that player you just acquired, then have to add salary for a free agent catcher you just brought in on probably a 1 year deal because he knows he will be the back up. Then the next year you have to do the same thing because that guy walks. Then Hanigan is a 35 year old catcher with a no-name back up and all of your hopes are still pinned on Tucker Barnhart, who while he seems like a guy who could be another Ryan Hanigan type, well, has a ways to go before he even becomes that.

And all for what, a player who isn't a real impact on the team because teams aren't going to give that up for a backup (which is what Mesoraco is at this point) to a for the first time in his life, the majority catcher on his team. The Reds have told all of baseball that Mesoraco wasn't worth starting over a guy in his 30s who has never been a starter before in his life. Mesoraco has no value right now.
    I don't know if I necessarily agree on Mesoraco's value right now, but I agree overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Austin Kearns is that you? Never considered that idea though. Could you see a possibility of giving Mesoraco a try in OF (like the Nats did with Harper) and let him catch 3-4 times a week, let Hanigan catch a couple times a week?
    If Mesoraco played a different position, I think he stops catching all together. Asking him to learn another position while still learning to hit in the majors is too much.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Mes as a catcher is possibly something special. Mes in LF or 3B is likely run of the mill at best.

With his long, loopy uppercut, I question whether Mesoraco will ever hit at the level many on Redszone predict.

While dealing him may not be great, there are free agent options-- Russell Martin, Brian McCann, or Mike Napoli as either a full-time or part-time starter at catcher, or even a Chris Snyder, David Ross, or Kelly Shoppach as a back-up to Hanigan-- out there.

If Mesoraco can garner, say, a legitimate back of the 'pen arm or a be part of a deal for a legitimate table setter or cleanup slugger, IMO, you make that deal every day of the week.

A back-up catcher isn't worth all that much in today's game, and Mesoraco, frankly, is lucky to be even that after the stinker he put up last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    With his long, loopy uppercut, I question whether Mesoraco will ever hit at the level many on Redszone predict.

While dealing him may not be great, there are free agent options-- Russell Martin, Brian McCann, or Mike Napoli as either a full-time or part-time starter at catcher, or even a Chris Snyder, David Ross, or Kelly Shoppach as a back-up to Hanigan-- out there.

If Mesoraco can garner, say, a legitimate back of the 'pen arm or a be part of a deal for a legitimate table setter or cleanup slugger, IMO, you make that deal every day of the week.

A back-up catcher isn't worth all that much in today's game, and Mesoraco, frankly, is lucky to be even that after the stinker he put up last season.
    I wouldn't mind McCann, a little more LH power would be good for this team, Napoli would be nice too, if we could afford them. Maybe we can, I don't think anyone can have any idea what the team can afford at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    If his value is that low, then we may as well keep him since no one will give up much for him.

I re-sign Navarro (or acquire someone similar) and start Mes in L'ville for at least a month or two to let him get regular AB's and then I bring him up once he's honed his stroke.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I re-sign Navarro (or acquire someone similar) and start Mes in L'ville for at least a month or two to let him get regular AB's and then I bring him up once he's honed his stroke.
    And then sit him 4 times a week? Or are you going to play him 5 times a week over Hanigan? We know the Reds aren't going to.

And then sit him 4 times a week? Or are you going to play him 5 times a week over Hanigan? We know the Reds aren't going to.
    How do you see this playing out Doug? I can understand management's reluctance to hand him the job after last season, but Mes is gonna be pushing 25 years old next year. I was ok with making him earn the job last year, but we can't wait forever for him to go on a hot streak and finally claim Hanigan's spot. We've gone from having arguably the best catching prospect in baseball to a guy the organization doesn't even seem comfortable keeping as the back up.

Mes will play as much as his hitting dictates.

I believe the Reds were hoping that Mes would take over the position last year and play 5 times per week.

If we are going to keep Mes then he has to catch at least 100 games next year, even if he struggles to start with they have to keep running him out there. I do think he has the potential to be an all star level catcher but my fear is that instead of playing him hes going to sit on the bench for 120 games the next two years and never get a chance to develop and we are going to just have wasted all that potential. If thats the plan then I would rather trade him and get something for him that helps the team win in 13, if we are going to let him play and at least be the #1 guy in the time share with hanigan then yes lets keep him.

I think some people forget Mes wasn't a 5 year veteran who actually had a history of stats to live up to instead of a rookie learning the toughest position on the field. It's a learning process and he's not going to be Johnny Bench right out of the gate. Sure he could have done better but how about cutting him some slack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Did Mes even garner enough games or AB's for 2012 to qualify as his rookie year?

Checked it. Mesoraco has 165 AB's this year so 2012 was his rookie year.

Turn Off Ads?