Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990 World Series

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

1990 World Series

began 22 years ago tonight (10/16)

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/17/sp...-the-reds.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 1990 World Series

I was 7 years old and don't have many first-hand memories of it, but I certainly remember when they won. I was in bed at the time, and I woke up to my parents yelling and screaming at the television. I came downstairs to find out what was going on, and that's how I found out that they'd won. Even though I didn't witness much of the series, I have watched this VHS tape dozens of times and think about very frequently: http://www.amazon.com/1990-World-Ser.../dp/6304964684

I was there, in RF stands.

I can still see Eric Davis' home run swing when I close my eyes. One of the happiest times of my life.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

I can still see Eric Davis' home run swing when I close my eyes. One of the happiest times of my life.
    One of the greatest Reds moments ever by one of the greatest Reds ever. When I think of the first two games I think of that home run, and then about Billy Bates rounding third on Joe Oliver's hit.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Ditto. Green seats. I was 14 and remember it like it was yesterday. Amazing moment!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I recall watching some of the series on a 13 inch tv that had a terrible picture, when in college. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have at the time, too many other distractions. Wish I could do it over again.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

It seems like just yesterday I was crossing the bridge, looking at the stadium and couldn't believe I was going to the WS.

I sat in RF in red seats.

In the first inning I jumped up when Davis hit the HR. I spilled half my beer on the guy in front of me from jumping up.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I had just finished college and was living in Oakland with some buddies, one from Fairfax and the other from the East Bay, I had spent the last 8 weeks of the season sweating out the Reds chances and watching the A's wrap up their 3rd straight appearance in the WS, I had some hope... and then.

BOOM!

Such a week.

I was on the phone with a girl when Eric hit that homer. I dropped the phone and ran around screaming for a full minute. She was not amused.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I was on the phone with a girl when Eric hit that homer. I dropped the phone and ran around screaming for a full minute. She was not amused.
    They never are.

I was 11 years old. I remember watching Benzinger catch the ball for the final out while sitting in a lay-z-boy in my papaw's basement. I immediately jumped out of the chair and began jumping up and down screaming.

Don't forget Glenn Braggs breaking the bat on his back on a missed swing.

1990 World Series Hero Glenn Braggs on Sports Beat with Mike Sola - YouTube

And of course that team was Red Hot!
    1990 Cincinnati Reds Rap: Red Hot - YouTube

I was at Game 1, the only game in the series I went to. I had been at all the NLCS games vs. Pittsburgh. Game 2 and 3 I watched at home and Game 4 I actually missed because I was at a wedding in Cleveland. I did get to listen to the final innings on a scratchy WLW though.

For Game 1, I was in the LF lower red seats in the section behind the foul pole. I'll never forget that view - still have the ticket stub too. There were three or four A's fans in the first row of the section in their green A's jackets.

When Davis hit that HR, a mood changed and I think the entire stadium (city) believed the Reds could win that series. And I never really noticed those A's fans after that.

I went to all the home playoff and the two home world series games that year. We sat in the red seats in right centerfield. I will never forget Canseco's half ass attempt to field a ball off the bat of Hatcher to help the Reds tie up game 2. After the Reds swept in Oakland, my fiance(now wife)and I went to Fountain Square to join the impromptu gathering of Reds fans. We were standing right next to a news reporter named Felicia something or other who got a whole beer poured on her while broadcasting. She was not pleased!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

I was a senior in college, turned 21 just before Opening Day that year, some other stuff happened that's all a blur, then the World Series. That was a year that did not suck.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?