Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990 World Series

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: 1990 World Series

I was there in CF, just above where the Davis HR landed. Still have my ticket stub and WS program.

What a night.

Time flies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

When Davis hit that HR, a mood changed and I think the entire stadium (city) believed the Reds could win that series. And I never really noticed those A's fans after that.
    I felt it. I think every Reds fan felt it. Eric won the World Series with that swing.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I was holding my 9 day old daughter and had just gotten her to sleep when Benzinger caught the last foul out. I let out quietest yaaaaaahhhh I could.

She's 22 now and will graduate from Ohio U next spring. Tempus fugit.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

1990 was the first year I lived in the DC area. Going to work early in the morning I would turn on WLW to find out how the Reds did the previous night. I kept up with them that way all season. I didn't think they had much of chance to win it when the series started.But after Davis hit that HR to start things off I suddenly felt confident they would win it. I watched all the games in my apartment I had just rented and recorded all the games on VHS which I stll have to this day.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I watched all the games in my apartment I had just rented and recorded all the games on VHS which I stll have to this day.
    I have all the games on VHS to ( Yep, I recorded without the "expressed written consent of MLB" ). The thing is though I havent watched them probally since I recorded them in 90'. I just havent been to terribly motivated to watch a game I know who is going to win. I bet the commercials are good though
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I bet the commercials are good though
    Spuds McKenzie.

Farfednugen.

Cindy Crawford.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I have all the games on VHS to ( Yep, I recorded without the "expressed written consent of MLB" ). The thing is though I havent watched them probally since I recorded them in 90'. I just havent been to terribly motivated to watch a game I know who is going to win. I bet the commercials are good though
    I don't think I have watched mine either. The VHS I have now doesn't play the older tapes I have very well. The picture is kinda jumpy and gives me a headache to try to watch them. I would like to convert them to DVD but haven't had any luck trying to do this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Has there been a more memorable call in Reds history than:

"Oliver swings and grounds iiiiit.....FAIR DOWN THE LEFT FIELD LINE! BILLY BATES'LL SCORE AND THIS ONE BELONGS TO THE REDS!"
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Has there been a more memorable call in Reds history than:

"Oliver swings and grounds iiiiit.....FAIR DOWN THE LEFT FIELD LINE! BILLY BATES'LL SCORE AND THIS ONE BELONGS TO THE REDS!"
    People think the Davis HR was the turning point but I think the Oliver hit was truly the turning point because had the Reds lost the game they would have went to Oakland tied at one game each. Oakland if you remember was incredibly dominant and very much favored over the Reds so going to Oakland tied at one game a piece was not going to be that hard for Oakland to overcome.

Besides anytime you get up two games in any series it is pretty much over uuuhhh ...right?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Besides anytime you get up two games in any series it is pretty much over uuuhhh ...right?
    Where is the Price is Right fail music when you need it?

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

People think the Davis HR was the turning point but I think the Oliver hit was truly the turning point because had the Reds lost the game they would have went to Oakland tied at one game each. Oakland if you remember was incredibly dominant and very much favored over the Reds so going to Oakland tied at one game a piece was not going to be that hard for Oakland to overcome.

This post started off so good and then towards the end, well ended so terribly.

The Davis HR was incredibly inspirational to the fans and to the team. Without that tone-setter, I think it would have been the Reds who got swept.

Yes, there was a ton of baseball left to be played after the 1st inning of Game 1, but the Davis HR made the Reds feel like they were there to win it all.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was working nights in Knoxville at the ABC station. The WS was on CBS that year. I saw almost none of it. The Reds won so handily, I was confident they'd be back in it in '91, when the series would be back on ABC.

The '89 series was on ABC. I was working there that year, too. That was the year of the earthquake-suspended series. We had to put our late newscast on about an hour earlier than expected. It had a new lead story, one that the viewers had been immersed in for the preceding 2 hours.
    /r/reds

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I was holding my 9 day old daughter and had just gotten her to sleep when Benzinger caught the last foul out. I let out quietest yaaaaaahhhh I could.

She's 22 now and will graduate from Ohio U next spring. Tempus fugit.
    That's good stuff.

I was a college Freshman when the Reds won it all on October 20, 1990. I didn't think I'd be getting my first prostate exam before the Reds won another one.

The 1990 series ended on a Saturday night. I was on an unfamiliar college campus in Haverford, PA, running the halls of my girlfriend's dorm looking for someone with a TV. Watched it with a bunch of strangers, jumped up and down on a stranger's bed when Benzinger caught the last out, then went to a party and learned the hard way that grain alcohol packs more of a wallop than wine coolers.

Today in History for 20th October 1990:

- 3 members of 2 Live Crew acquitted on obscenity charges in Florida
    - Antiwar protest marches begin in 20 US cities (US-Iraq)
    - Cincinnati Reds sweep Oakland A's in 86th World Series
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?