Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to decline option

Ludwick to decline option

Per Jon Heyman of CBS sports.

link

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/20580639/ludwick-will-turn-down-$5m-option-but-reds-still-hope-to-sign-him-back

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ludwick to decline option

They want him back, but you could probably bet they'll offer some deferred payments.

Not unexpected.. Would be nice to bring Ludwick back.. If he walks, we're back to hunting for a cleanup hitter, which is difficult to find..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Cant blame him. Hes tryin to cash in one more time before retirement. I do hope we can work something out with him tho. What do you guys think it will take? 8 mil a year? Im sure he wants at least 2 maybe 3 years also.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Think this would get the deal done?
    2013 $6M
    2014 $8M
    2015 $10M club option with a $2M buyout

Keep in mind that Ludwick is 34 years old. I'd say Michael Cuddyer is a good comp, and he signed a 3-year deal worth $31.5M + incentives at the age of 32.

Ludwick's been much more than I thought he would be. I hope he sees that the Reds are a good fit.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    2013 $6M
    2014 $8M

Keep in mind that Ludwick is 34 years old. I'd say Michael Cuddyer is a good comp, and he signed a 3-year deal worth $31.5M + incentives at the age of 32.
    That is the ABSOLUTE most I'd be willing to do. I was going to say no more than 2 years at 7MM per. If he walks from both of those, then let him walk.

And trade for Justin Upton.
    Go BLUE!!!

Is Kevin Youkilis a free agent this year?
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

No surprise. This is probably Ludwick's last chance to get paid before he hangs the spikes up.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Is Kevin Youkilis a free agent this year?
    Yes. He's kind of interesting as a 3B option. But if they re-sign Ludwick, another aging slow RH hitter who plays average defense at best, I don't see Youk as a great option.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 10-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    2013 $6M
    2014 $8M

Yes, $16M guaranteed over two years. It's more than I would pay. We need to find next year's Ludwick.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yes, $16M guaranteed over two years. It's more than I would pay. We need to find next year's Ludwick.
    As another poster mentioned earlier in this thread and I've been saying for some time, next year's Ludwick could be Kevin Youkilis. And I wouldn't be surprised if we could get him for $5MM or less considering the hometown discount.

See if Frazier's bat can hold up enough to be an everyday LF. If not, trade for Justin Upton and move Frazier back to 3B in 2014 and/or when Youk goes on the DL in 2013.
    Go BLUE!!!

If I were Jockety, I would be careful what I offered a 34 year-old LF'er that just had one of his top 3 seasons...Frazier can play LF or 3B, so there will be more options than just OF's to consider. Plus Frazier can hit 4th just as well as Ludwick did. I wouldn't have minded seeing Ludwick back at $5M for 1 year. Committing more to him is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Bum

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Let him walk.

Two years max. I like him a lot, liked the signing at the time, but I'd bargain hard here and let him walk if the terms aren't exactly right for the Reds. 2 yrs. for 14. And, given his age, that could look really bad in less than a year.

Turn Off Ads?