Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to decline option

Re: Ludwick to decline option

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Two years max. I like him a lot, liked the signing at the time, but I'd bargain hard here and let him walk if the terms aren't exactly right for the Reds. 2 yrs. for 14. And, given his age, that could look really bad in less than a year.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yes. He's kind of interesting as a 3B option. But if they re-sign Ludwick, another aging slow RH hitter who plays average defense at best, I don't see Youk as a great option.
    If he grew up in Cincinnati he'll be an option folks will clamor for until he dies

This is a dangerous signing. I'm almost in the let him walk camp. It depends on the deal, but some of the numbers I've seen on this post I would say no way. Just too much risk at his age. If we are going to spend 6-9 mllion for example try to get a younger talent and put that money towards it. We really need a top hitter who doesn't strike out. Our line up is full of that. I was hoping he would do the option, but I understand why not.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Everyone is acting like we've been rich in LFs since Adam Dunn left, as if we haven't been struggling to fill that hole ever since.

I wouldn't want to go more than 2 years either, but pay the man. I would have no problem with 2 yr/25m.

So should we instead act as if he has been a consistantly very good (or better) player in recent years? He's 34 and just one good year after struggling a bit. It's a tough call - yes we need a good LF, but can we count on Ludwick to be good again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Everyone is acting like we've been rich in LFs since Adam Dunn left, as if we haven't been struggling to fill that hole ever since.

I wouldn't want to go more than 2 years either, but pay the man. I would have no problem with 2 yr/25m.

2 yr/25m.
    Yikes. That might be more than they have left to pay Cueto. NO thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    So should we instead act as if he has been a consistantly very good (or better) player in recent years? He's 34 and just one good year after struggling a bit. It's a tough call - yes we need a good LF, but can we count on Ludwick to be good again?
    Years spent in San Diego. Yeah, doesn't bother me.

I can also guarantee if he's resigned, RZ collectively will hate the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think the Reds will have you "pay the man" at that rate...1 year of production that was good, not great, doesn't warrant doing something like that.

Bump the 1-year offer a little, not much, add some incentives. Add a second year on a mutual option, just like this year. That's as far as I'd go.

Ludwick's got a big swing. Once it slows, he'll be in real trouble.

12 million bucks for him?

Pass

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That is the ABSOLUTE most I'd be willing to do. I was going to say no more than 2 years at 7MM per. If he walks from both of those, then let him walk.

And trade for Justin Upton.
    I don't think I'd go that high to be honest. I could easily see Ludwick revert to his previous seasons'.

And as for who I'd target, it ain't Upton. I'd prefer AAAAAHHH-Choo! *excuse me*

Jocketty needs to be savvy with this. There may be better options.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    12 million bucks for him?

Pass
    He did put up 2.8 WAR this year. That is 14 MM worth of value when talking about free agent dollars spent. (Figuring 5 MM per 1 WAR)

If you think he can be 80 percent of his 2012 season over the next 2 years, 12 MM is a bargain.

Now if that 6 MM a year is gonna break the budget, that is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He did put up 2.8 WAR this year. That is 14 MM worth of value when talking about free agent dollars spent. (Figuring 5 MM per 1 WAR)

If you think he can be 80 percent of his 2012 season over the next 2 years, 12 MM is a bargain.

Now if that 6 MM a year is gonna break the budget, that is another story.
    I don't care about WAR

I don't think he's a 12 million dollar player at 35 nor for 2 years.

Turn Off Ads?