Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick to decline option

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Ludwick to decline option

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Everyone is acting like we've been rich in LFs since Adam Dunn left, as if we haven't been struggling to fill that hole ever since.

I wouldn't want to go more than 2 years either, but pay the man. I would have no problem with 2 yr/25m.

That would be a very bad contract. And way more than it would take to sign him.

Which players are you dumping to afford him?
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 10-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He did put up 2.8 WAR this year. That is 14 MM worth of value when talking about free agent dollars spent. (Figuring 5 MM per 1 WAR)

If you think he can be 80 percent of his 2012 season over the next 2 years, 12 MM is a bargain.

Now if that 6 MM a year is gonna break the budget, that is another story.
    No, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I don't care about WAR

I don't think he's a 12 million dollar player at 35 nor for 2 years.
    Ok, I see what happened. Somewhere this thread took a turn for the worse. We went from signing him for 6-7 MM per to 12 MM per. 12 MM a year is nuts. I thought the 12 MM was over 2 yr.

Ok, I see what happened. Somewhere this thread took a turn for the worse. We went from signing him for 6-7 MM per to 12 MM per. 12 MM a year is nuts. I thought the 12 MM was over 2 yr.
    12 a year too much yes, 6 is a different story (said the man playing with others money)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    No, it's not.
    6 MM a year would not be a bargain for a 2+ WAR player on the open market? It looks like you are as guilty as not reading full posts as I am.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

2/25? On another thread I suggested he would get paid 3/22 or 4/30 and was severely mocked. Ludwick WILL get paid. I don't think it will be us.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I haven't read this entire thread. But I remember reading on Redszone during the season........someone in the know with the Reds said that Ludwick would not be back next season, and the club was ready to move on without him.

I swear I read that on here during the season. Someone in the know posted it.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

As I've said before, my #1 target is Choo. He solves TONS of problems for us. And he'll be WAAAAY more affordable than Upton.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    As I've said before, my #1 target is Choo. He solves TONS of problems for us. And he'll be WAAAAY more affordable than Upton.
    That's cool.

Now I'm the Indians GM. I've got a few other teams inquiring on Choo. Put your best offer on the table.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 10-17-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    2/25? On another thread I suggested he would get paid 3/22 or 4/30 and was severely mocked. Ludwick WILL get paid. I don't think it will be us.
    It's not so much the issue of money as it is the length of the contract. I just don't see any possible way he'd get a 4-year deal. I think 2 years with an option is most likely, but if his services are more desired than I expect, I could see a 3-year deal.

Last off-season, we saw 7 players get deals for 4+ years. Every single one of them was both younger and better than Ludwick (although Yu Darvish was a question mark at the time). You could make the argument that Ludwick isn't even a top-10 outfield free agent, let alone top-10 free agent in baseball. He's more Jason Kubel than he is Carlos Beltran. He could be relatively expensive to keep around, but he shouldn't break the bank. And I'll reiterate that there's no way someone will offer him a 4-year deal.

That's cool.

Now I'm the Indians GM. I've got a few other teams inquiring on Choo. Put your best offer on the table.

Or is he a free agent? If so what is your best offer?
    Choo is heading into his last year of arbitration. He will become a free agent after the 2013 season. I'd say the Indians are likely to hang on to him until the All-Star break. But if the Reds are trading for Choo, you can bet that it'd take some starting pitching plus prospects to get it done.

Yikes, pay Ludwick that kind of cash?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If he grew up in Cincinnati he'll be an option folks will clamor for until he dies
    I think we need Jeff Shaw in the bullpen.
    Go Gators!

Wonderful must be Ludwick's agent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Any club will have to assume some risk if they expect to compete, so I would surmise Ludwick would need to be offered at least a second year even if one doesn't believe he'll continue to produce beyond next season. That said, any risk needs to be measured and I don't think it's wise to go beyond two seasons (at least without a club option) nor would I pay $12 million on the basis of expecting he'll completely repeat what he did this year.

So I'm in the camp of two years, $6 million per with a third option year.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd go 2 years $15 million with a mutual option for year 3. I wouldn't go beyond 2 guaranteed. The Reds can't afford to make those kinds of mistakes down the road.

Turn Off Ads?