Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ludwick

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ludwick

I'd offer Ludwick a maximum of a 2 year/$12 million deal with a club option if he wants one. If he accepts, great. If not, I'd either trade for Gerardo Parra from the D-Backs or sign Kevin Youkilis to a 1 year incentive laden deal and move Frazier to LF.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I'd offer Ludwick a maximum of a 2 year/$12 million deal with a club option if he wants one. If he accepts, great. If not, I'd either trade for Gerardo Parra from the D-Backs or sign Kevin Youkilis to a 1 year incentive laden deal and move Frazier to LF.
    Tend to agree...just can't go 3 year 31Million for Ludwick and then be in a pickle to keep Bailey/Latos as they become more expensive.

- Hamilton hopefully can be with the Reds at some point in 2013 in CF which is a huge upgrade offensively over Stubbs.
    - Be willing to trade Leake, Cingrani, Corcini, Stubbs and a SS to get a LF bat short term and/or 3B and move Frazier to LF.

I liked the 5 solid pitching options vs. extra bat in OF to get us back to playoffs the next few years.

Ludwick was a pleasant surprise this season.

But his skills could go south at any moment. I wouldn't offer any more than a 2 year deal.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I'd be willing to go with a 2 (or 3 at the absolute most) year deal if the price is right. Ludwick is a gamer, and i don't see him becoming another Rolen with a 2 or 3 year deal

Sign him for 2 years with a mutual option for the 3rd with the possibility of a buyout. Hopefully, he can become a leader on the club.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I don't remember what thread this statement was made, but I read something a couple days ago on this forum about how important experience is, and that the teams that usually are in the playoffs pay good money to have people with experience in the playoffs. Well, I thought Ludwick had a good postseason and had some big at bats. Never seemed scared of the moment. (Though I do not know his postseason statistics) so I could be totally wrong.

But he has some postseason experience, more important, POSITIVE and successful postseason experience. I think that's valuable. I hope he stays.

Ludwick did a nice job this year, especially when Votto went down, but surely he realizes after playing a few years in San Diego that hitting in GABP is much more suited to his game. He was good for the Reds and the park was good for him. That being said I agree with Alpha earlier, offer him an additional year and million more per year. If he takes it fine, if not there are other power hitting OF's that could benefit from GABP as well. The Youkilis to third Frazier to LF would work as well.

I'm in agreement with 2 years with an option for 3'rd at right price, but guess it depends what other teams offer him as well-not in our hands. I dont agree with Youk though, I want no part of him at this point in his career.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I do not see Ludwick putting up the same type of numbers next year, and this is just my opinion but I think the Reds have enough internal options for left field I'll give you the top 5.
    1. Chris Heisey - Just give the man his chance because he won't be getting it in center.
    2. Xavier Paul - Paul showed that he can hit this season I would be very willing to give him a chance this season.
    3. Todd Frazier - For Frazier to be in left one of two things would have to happen, the Reds bring in a veteran third baseman like Youk or Keppinger, or Henry Rodriguez plays so well in spring training that he forces his way on the roster.
    4. Dennis Phipps - He's showed potential but he needs to have a huge spring to make it happen.
    5. Felix Perez - Perez had a great year in AAA this season, he turns 28 in November and is not on the 40 man roster but I think he would be very good when started in a platoon situation.
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

I think I'm in the 2-yr w/option camp....depending on the $$. I recall most of last season many of us on here were clamoring for a RH hitter to fit between Votto and Bruce. Ludwick wasn't my first option, but I was willing to give it a chance. He's been a pleasant surprise. Pay the man. Clearly, it's in the best interest of both parties to get a new deal done. I really can't see any viable in-house options. Hiesey's ship has sailed, imo. Is Paul under contract next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    1 million more a season is not going to do it

Kevin Youkilis is done being an everyday productive player unless you like a .240 hitter

Gerardo Parra is no replacement for Luddy, 58R,7HR,36RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Kevin Youkilis is done being an everyday productive player unless you like a .240 hitter.
    I think some people, myself included, might have said the same thing about Ludwick prior to last season. Also, despite Youkilis having the worst year of his career, he still got on base at about the same clip as Ludwick and was basically a league average hitter. Youkilis is also a year younger than Ludwick. He may be done, but there's a good chance that he isn't.

And you're right that Parra probably wouldn't be able to replace Ludwick's 2012 offensive output. I'm not sure anyone available who will fit within the Reds' budget can, and that includes Ludwick himself. Parra's still a young, solid, cost controlled player who can handle CF if needed. I'm not expecting him to slug .500 or better like Ludwick did this year.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 10-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Great year from Ludwick. Good gamble by Walt.

Not likely to repeat. Let him go and find someone with high OBP for left field. Too many outs in the lineup. Frazier takes 3b and replaces the power Ludwick provided. He could hit 4th. Really need a high on base guy to lead off or bat second behind Phillips.

Have to have Luddy back...maybe 10mil for 2 yrs with a one yr option..
    He's a gamer period...You think those are easy to replace...The Reds need good players with great attitudes..He & Frazier will lead the way!!

Turn Off Ads?