Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Miguel Cairo

Replacing Miguel Cairo

Cairo's contract is finally up but that leaves a hole on the bench that could eventually be filled by Frazier but in the mean time the Reds need to find another player to fill his spot on the bench. I'll list my to 5 choices who are free agents and you all put in your comments.
    1. Jeff Keppinger - Keppinger would be a great option could possibly start
    2. Ty Wigginton - Wigginton has been very good in the past could start declining due to age though
    3. Maicer Izturis - has speed and plays all over the IF except 1B
    4. Drew Sutton - Former Red that has bounced around since being shipped out
    5. Jose Lopez - has been very poor at the plate but is the youngest of these 5.
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Replacing Miguel Cairo

no mention of johnny gomes?

I wanted Jeff Keppinger before the season started and at the deadline.. He would be a way better option that Cairo or Valdez and can HIT!!!

Greg Dobbs....would have to trade, he's signed through 2013 with the Marlins.
    Last edited by 40YrRedsFan; 10-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Of that group the only one I would kick the tires on is Isturez.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I think they should sign me. I'm about the same age. I can't field or hit, but I would do it for the league minimum; therefore, I am an upgrade over both Cairo and Valdez.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

One does not simply replace Miguel Cairo.
    "And why do false truths persist, getting passed down the decades as if they were fact? It comes back to the same point: People believe things that are wrong because, individually, people rarely investigate their own beliefs, particularly when what they believe makes sense intuitively. Even more so when those around them agree with them." -K.F.

Playoff Veteran

Kepp is the outside option.... Henry Roderiguez is the internal option. Its possible the Gregorius replaces Valdez as well.

My answer to replacing Miguel - Yes.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I'll play for him. For cheap too.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

replacing miguel cairo is the least of my worries. a bag of baseballs should do.

Jed Lowrie from Houston? Switch hitter that can hit and can play all three INF positions and under control for three years.

He had a .492 OPS and a 29 OPS+ where 100 is average, Adding a pitcher to the role could be an upgrade.

This is what I want to do now. I want to make Zack Cozart the utility player and add Yunel Escobar to play SS since he will likely be on the move with the addition of Mike Aviles from Boston in the trade for their manager.

Even after Escobar down year he still owns a .282 lifetime average and a .353 OBP, he finished 3rd in MLB with 15 Defensive Runs Saved and a move to GABP and out of the ultra competitive AL East could see a spike in his power.

If we could add that .353 OBP into the two hole and find a OBP driven lead off hitter out line up could become a monster, or even if we had to use Escobar leading off it could be a great upgrade, then when you factor in the upgrade at the utility infielder spot it becomes even better.

Yunel Escobar SS
    Melky Cabrera CF
    Joey Votto 1B
    Ryan Ludwick LF
    Jay Bruce RF
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Todd Frazier 3B
    Hanigan/Mesoraco C

Buying low on two talented players who both needed to remake their images before they get to old for a long term deal while keeping a spot warm until our prospect get ready is a winning plan IMO. Then give Ludwick a 2nd year and a slight boost in money to come back which he wants to do and you have a team that can steamroll the NL central yet again while having better depth and better OBP.

We won 97 games with a .208 average and a .254 OBP from our of the #1 spot and a .257 average and a .310 OBP out of the second spot. Just talking about adding a couple .280+ hitters who spent a ton of their career in the hardest division in baseball and are still young to those spots makes my heart beat faster, and knowing the positive from that runs even deeper by having bats like BP hitting 6th and Todd 7th would be awesome.

I would love to get Yunel Escobar. His best years came in the NL and I think that he could be the leadoff we need. The only problem I have is in order to get him we will probably have to give up more pieces than we can afford or possibly create more holes to fill just to get him. I would have said trade Cozart to the DBacks from Parra but they just received Pennington so who knows what they want now.

Turn Off Ads?