Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod

Re: A-Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Jocketty has gone after these older sluggers before: McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen ...

I think A-Rod could really revive himself spending a summer hitting against NL pitching in GABP. But is he worth the drama?
    All those guys are known for their leadership qualities. ARod is the anti-leader, exactly the type of guy that Jocketty has avoided his career.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    ESPNradio was speculating this morning that he would be moved, and that the receiving team would only have to pony up $5 Million in 2013 and 2014, and that the Yankees would eat the rest.

I don't have time to look today, but is there any undercurrent in his numbers that suggest a move out of NY would help him? Could he hit enough between Votto and Bruce? Does Frazier become your leftfielder and Arod's caddy, like he was to Rolen?

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but would lean no. Same goes with someone like Youkilis.
    For $5 mill, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Reds need a cleanup man with power and a leadoff man.

They can't spend a fortune on both.

A-Rod at third could be the cleanup man, if he as cheap as indicated. Ludwick would move on. Frazier would play LF. That leaves leadoff/CF for other transactions.

Risky? Yes. But the Reds would have to consider it if the price is right. A-Rod for $5 million would have to be looked at.

H-Rod for A-Rod straight up, with the obvious financial kickbacks. Boom.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I don't like anything about A-Rod, other than the fact that he could conceivably bring a .850-900 OPS playing in Cincy for a few years.

He likely has a better chance to have a Ludwick type resurgence than Ludwick did.

And I think he might be a better bet than Ludwick to OPS over .850 next year.

I also think he would love to come to Cincy. The place were dying bats get new life.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 10-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For $5 mill, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    He'll be 37 and 38, and has lost an average of 50 OPS points over the last three years. And he never was a good fielder and has gotten worse.

I'd rather have Rolen back, even if he repeats what he did in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I don't like anything about A-Rod, other than the fact that he could conceivably bring a .850-900 OPS playing in Cincy for a few years.

He likely has a better chance to have a Ludwick type resurgence than Ludwick does.

And I think he might be a better bet than Ludwick to OPS over .850 next year.

I also think he would love to come to Cincy. The place were dying bats get new life.
    A-Rod would be miserable in Cincy. He needs the bright lights of a big city. He has not one, but two paintings of himself as centaur in his house, one on the ceiling over his bed.
    Last edited by 757690; 10-18-2012 at 02:46 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He'll be 37 and 38, and has lost an average of 50 OPS points over the last three years. And he never was a good fielder and has gotten worse.

I'd rather have Rolen back, even if he repeats what he did in 2012.
    A-Rod used to be a pretty good SS...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    A-Rod used to be a pretty good SS...
    So did Barry Larkin

Neither will ever see time there again

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    5 million per every 25 hr past 660 (I think something like that).

I don't know, I wouldn't like hearing fans give him a hard time. If I thought the town could embrace him and leave his past behind, similar to Rolen, I'd say yes. However, I don't really care to hear about Arod every day for the Reds. But I think he'd be an amazing addition to the offense. And his defense isn't statistically that bad, adding value to his WAR even last year.
    No thank you, once the pr buzz wore off ARod is not the same player he use to be. There's no significant player in the organization I would offer for him. If the Yanks are paying for it just to get him out of town then yes. Playing in the Great America Small Park may help bring back some power but we should be looking for the next guy to hit 600 homers, not the guy who's already done it.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

He has gotten worse every year since 2007. There are stricter testing policies. He is owed over $100,000,000.00 and is under contract through 2017. That's right--even at the age of 42, he will have a salary over $20M. The media would be all over him and create a distraction for the team. At this point, Todd Frazier is probably just as good as A-Rod. There's no way it's worth the risk. Plus he probably has zero interest in coming to Cincinnati. He went to high school in Miami, so at least that idea makes some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So did Barry Larkin

Neither will ever see time there again
    Right I'm just saying the claim he was never a good defender just isn't true.

I am dismissing it out of hand...

There is no chance of it happening in the corporeal world we inhabit. However, if the terms are similar to the post above ($5M for 2013-14, Yanks pay rest) and the cost is minor league surplus, yeah I'd do it.

We always talk about how good Dusty is at managing a clubhouse and handling a mix of veterans and young players - isn't this the kind of acquisition that perfectly matches that skill set? At the cost involved, isn't he a guy that could be jettisoned or traded quickly if he becomes a distraction?

For the record I know it won't happen

But there are a lot of places far less desirable for A-Rod to go than Cincinnati. He's a competitive person by all accounts and we're sitting in a position to be competitive for a while. I think if we're winning, Rodriguez would put his head down and play. For all the talk of needing big lights to play, Seattle and Arlington aren't exactly the most glamorous places on earth either. Plus the Reds are a historic team. I think if A-Rod thought he could become a major part of a team's history, in ending one of the league's most historic team's long championship drought, he would probably jump at that.

Turn Off Ads?