Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 145

Thread: Confession

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,874

    Re: Confession

    Personally, I agree with 757690's opening post. Yes, it's great if your team wins the World Series and your team is the MLB champ. Fair and square.

    But it no longer reflects the best overall team for the whole baseball season.

    One third of MLB now makes the playoffs. And then, there are so many hurdles that it becomes a short-term obstacle course. One game wild card playoff, five game DS, 7 games league championship. Only then do teams qualify for the WS.

    If you really want the full season championship, abandon divisions, have the top two records in each league play each other and then the World Series.

    Today, it's a matter of which team is best suited and hottest for/during post-season tournament play. The winner is the champ, but not always the best team in baseball over a whole season of regular and post-season games.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-19-2012 at 10:11 AM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,872

    Re: Confession

    I like it more like the NFL where the 6th or 7th team can make the super bowl, as opposed the the NBA where teams like the Hawks or 76ers are just a little blip and literally have zero hope of winning. Baseball has a wonderful dynamic that allows for the Astros to win a 3 game series against the Reds, etc. I'd say honoring that by letting a few more teams in, all while limiting the reward for winning a wild card slot, was a great idea for the sport. The life long guys like Leyland and Larussa on the committee were quickly all for it.

  4. #18
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,872

    Re: Confession

    You also have to face more teams, all of good quality, just to win the WS, so you could say it's that much harder.

    Finally, they say the new format will favor a team with a deep rotation, not your Brewers type teams with 1 maybe 2 guys. And as we know, had the Reds not lost Cueto, we'd be up 3-0 on the Cards right now.

  5. #19
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,678

    Re: Confession

    The Tigers were the weakest division winner, based on record. They also tied the Cards for season record. Now, those two teams are steamrolling through the playoffs. I used to be on the fence about the playoffs and crapshoot. Having watched the craziness this year, the MLB playoffs are anti-climactic to the race to get there.

    It is sort of like having your favorite meal every day for 6 months, then all of a sudden they give you a bologna sandwich, carrot sticks, and apple sauce lunchables for the last month.

    The starter of the thread is on to something.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #20
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,618

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Tigers were the weakest division winner, based on record. They also tied the Cards for season record. Now, those two teams are steamrolling through the playoffs. I used to be on the fence about the playoffs and crapshoot. Having watched the craziness this year, the MLB playoffs are anti-climactic to the race to get there.

    It is sort of like having your favorite meal every day for 6 months, then all of a sudden they give you a bologna sandwich, carrot sticks, and apple sauce lunchables for the last month.

    The starter of the thread is on to something.
    We're also seeing that homefield in MLB is overrated

  7. #21
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,888

    Re: Confession

    One change I would like to see for the Divisional Series is no home games for the wild card team. I would give the team with the league's best record a reward by having all of their Divisional Series games at home, with the team that emerges from the wild card game having to advance to the league Championship Series by winning out on the road. Wild card teams should face a major hurdle in order to advance.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  8. #22
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,888

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We're also seeing that homefield in MLB is overrated
    It is, but I still would want it, despite what happened in the Reds-Giants series.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  9. #23
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,754

    Re: Confession

    Maybe my reading comprehension is lacking but if we are complaining about teams winning the WS and not having the best regular season record, shouldn't we just put all the teams in the same division, cancel all the playoffs and instead just crown the team with the best record as champions?

    In 1973 the Mets came very close the winning the WS with a 83-79 record. Had they won it would that of made their WS victory less legit? Or the 1987 Twins example that I gave earlier?

    The NFL, NHL, NBA, NCAA and all the other sports often have teams with not the best record crowned champions. Are they less legit??

    This has been going on forever throughout sports but now it is a problem?

    What am I missing here?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,347

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    This has been going on forever throughout sports but now it is a problem?

    What am I missing here?
    I don't think you're missing anything. Our team won 97 games and choked in the playoffs. The team that finished 9 games behind us is steamrolling into the World Series.

    If the roles were reversed no one on this site would be complaining about the playoff crapshoot.

  11. #25
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    3,872

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maybe my reading comprehension is lacking but if we are complaining about teams winning the WS and not having the best regular season record, shouldn't we just put all the teams in the same division, cancel all the playoffs and instead just crown the team with the best record as champions?

    In 1973 the Mets came very close the winning the WS with a 83-79 record. Had they won it would that of made their WS victory less legit? Or the 1987 Twins example that I gave earlier?

    The NFL, NHL, NBA, NCAA and all the other sports often have teams with not the best record crowned champions. Are they less legit??

    This has been going on forever throughout sports but now it is a problem?

    What am I missing here?
    Exacty, makes no sense. This reminds me of the argument against conference tourney's in college. If you over-think these things, it will diminish them, until (invariably) it's your team that's coming out on top.

    Teams that are truly great will be remembered and will always stand out above the others. The Big Red Machine is a reference to the teams that were fielded before, during, and after the 75-76 run. In general, I don't think there are many people that accept as fact that the WS champ is the definitive version of any particular year's best team. It's a title, it's a tournament. The benefit of winning that title is that you can at least lay claim to the best team, even if others will protest. No, the best team doesn't always win, never has.

  12. #26
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,449

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Teams that are truly great will be remembered and will always stand out above the others. The Big Red Machine is a reference to the teams that were fielded before, during, and after the 75-76 run. In general, I don't think there are many people that accept as fact that the WS champ is the definitive version of any particular year's best team. It's a title, it's a tournament. The benefit of winning that title is that you can at least lay claim to the best team, even if others will protest. No, the best team doesn't always win, never has.
    Exactly. Dynasties will always be remembered for their prolonged dominance, whether they won the Fall Classic every year or not. The important thing is to win at least one World Series crown...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  13. #27
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,993

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Maybe my reading comprehension is lacking but if we are complaining about teams winning the WS and not having the best regular season record, shouldn't we just put all the teams in the same division, cancel all the playoffs and instead just crown the team with the best record as champions?

    In 1973 the Mets came very close the winning the WS with a 83-79 record. Had they won it would that of made their WS victory less legit? Or the 1987 Twins example that I gave earlier?

    The NFL, NHL, NBA, NCAA and all the other sports often have teams with not the best record crowned champions. Are they less legit??

    This has been going on forever throughout sports but now it is a problem?

    What am I missing here?
    I am not talking about that at all. I even replied to your Twins example. I'll restate my position so it's clearer.

    The playoffs are always going to be a crapshoot, based mostly on luck factors instead, like whose hot and whose cold. The best teams will not always win in the playoffs because of this. To make the playoffs meaningful and the winner of the playoffs legitimate, only deserving teams should be able to make them and play in them. For me, this means teams that won their division after a long regular season. If all the teams in the playoffs deserve to be there, then the results are acceptable and legitimate, no matter how much luck is involved.

    One can argue that one wild card team per league is deserving to make the playoffs, I disagree, but I can understand that argument. I can't see any way in which a second wild card team deserves team deserves to get in, and thus, the whole playoff system is corrupted, making the winner meaningless, imo.

    As for the other sports, I think you are making my point. In Football, and especially Basketball and Hockey, there is strong disconnect between the regular season and the playoffs, making whoever wins the playoffs less meaningful.

    That is happening in baseball and it shouldn't. One thing that makes baseball so great and better than the other sports is that the regular season matters. Adding an extra wild card team to the playoffs ruins that.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  14. #28
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,993

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I don't think you're missing anything. Our team won 97 games and choked in the playoffs. The team that finished 9 games behind us is steamrolling into the World Series.

    If the roles were reversed no one on this site would be complaining about the playoff crapshoot.
    I absolutely would not feel comfortable with a Reds World Series Championship won in a season in which they were a wild card team. I would enjoy it, and celebrate it, but it would always feel dirty and cheap and I would be embarrassed by it.

    I have a lot of Cardinal fans as friends and everyone of them feels a little guilty about last seasons World Series win, and their success so far. Granted they, are all my age, and I doubt younger Cardinal fans feel the same way, but those who grew up without the wild card all feel that way I do.
    Last edited by 757690; 10-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  15. #29
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,754

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am not talking about that at all. I even replied to your Twins example. I'll restate my position so it's clearer.

    The playoffs are always going to be a crapshoot, based mostly on luck factors instead, like whose hot and whose cold. The best teams will not always win in the playoffs because of this. To make the playoffs meaningful and the winner of the playoffs legitimate, only deserving teams should be able to make them and play in them. For me, this means teams that won their division after a long regular season. If all the teams in the playoffs deserve to be there, then the results are acceptable and legitimate, no matter how much luck is involved.

    One can argue that one wild card team per league is deserving to make the playoffs, I disagree, but I can understand that argument. I can't see any way in which a second wild card team deserves team deserves to get in, and thus, the whole playoff system is corrupted, making the winner meaningless, imo.

    As for the other sports, I think you are making my point. In Football, and especially Basketball and Hockey, there is strong disconnect between the regular season and the playoffs, making whoever wins the playoffs less meaningful.

    That is happening in baseball and it shouldn't. One thing that makes baseball so great and better than the other sports is that the regular season matters. Adding an extra wild card team to the playoffs ruins that.
    I understand your point better now and maybe adding another team to mix might dilute the playoffs a bit but at the same time having the WC race adds to the excitement of the regular season. Would you be in favor of going back to pre 1969 when only 2 teams made the playoffs?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  16. #30
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,993

    Re: Confession

    Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I understand your point better now and maybe adding another team to mix might dilute the playoffs a bit but at the same time having the WC race adds to the excitement of the regular season. Would you be in favor of going back to pre 1969 when only 2 teams made the playoffs?
    The wild card race does add to the excitement, but at what cost?

    No, I would not want only two teams making the playoffs, but only because there are more teams now. I'd be fine with eight teams making the playoffs, if there were eight divisions, although you would need to add two teams to make that work.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25