Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 10/27

Birthdays- 10/27

Reds:

Bip Roberts (48) -In 1992, he was about as good as any Reds 2B not named Morgan ever was.

Mike Lum (66) -Spare part on the BRM; his middle name ws "Ken-Wai".

Others:

U.L. Washington (58) -Toothpick-chewing SS who was, I believe, a graduate of the Royals baseball academy.

Pete Vuckovich (59) -It's a good thing he was an excellent pitcher, 'cause he never would have made a living on his looks.

Elijah "Pumpsie" Green (78) -I'm too lazy to look it up, but I believe he was the first African-American player on the Red Sox, who were the last team to integrate.

Ralph Kiner (89) -HOF slugger on some awful Pirate teams. After another last-place finish, he tried to get a raise from GM Branch Rickey, leading to Rickey's famous line, "We could have finished last without you".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 10/27

Lum was one of the few players that was a native Hawaiian.

I saw UL Washington when he was in rookie ball at Kingsport Tn. IIRC he was their number one draft pick that season. You could tell he was going to be big leaguer then.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Lum was one of the few players that was a native Hawaiian.

I believe Lum was the first Hawaiian ever to play MLB.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Baseballreference.com lists three Hawaii-born major leaguers before Lum; they all had very brief careers, though.

Actually Lum wasn't even the first Red to be born in Hawaii; Milt Wilcox was a Red before Mike was. Other Hawaii-born Reds include Doug Capilla and Dane Sardinha.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Baseballreference.com lists three Hawaii-born major leaguers before Lum; they all had very brief careers, though.

Actually Lum wasn't even the first Red to be born in Hawaii; Milt Wilcox was a Red before Mike was. Other Hawaii-born Reds include Doug Capilla and Dane Sardinha.
    http://hawaiisportshalloffame.com/xlum.htm
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Ralph Kiner (89) -HOF slugger on some awful Pirate teams. After another last-place finish, he tried to get a raise from GM Branch Rickey, leading to Rickey's famous line, "We could have finished last without you".
    Some quotes from Ralph Kiner:

"All his saves have come in relief appearances."

"All the Mets road wins against the Dodgers this year have come at Dodger Stadium."

"He's (Bruce Sutter) is going to be out of action for the rest of his career."

"Now up to bat for the Mets is Gary Cooper."

"Hello everybody. Welcome to Kiner's Corner. This is...uh, I'm...uh."

"If Casey Stengel were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave."

"Cadillacs are down at the end of the bat."

"Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The other third is covered by Garry Maddox."

Turn Off Ads?