Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P Doc: Brewers considering Josh Hamilton; Reds should too

Re: P Doc: Brewers considering Josh Hamilton; Reds should too

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know it's not the go-go Aughties anymore where Gary Matthews Jr can get 5 years/50 million, but someone will give Hamilton the deal he's looking for.
    I just don't see it. I think he'll get $20 mil a year, but I don't see him getting more than 3-4 years. All it takes is one team, so you could be right, but I'm not getting that feeling.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

As I was reading through this, I had a inkling, just for a second, that the Yankees would be just the kind of team to take on this huge risk, for big dollars, and a longer term than most teams would pay.

Can you imagine the enormity of the train wreck that occurs if Josh Hamilton lives, works, and tries to dodge temptation in the Big Apple?
    sorry we're boring

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The Reds made a bad trade, or did they? Latos wouldn't be here if it weren't for Volquez......... but an older, more worn down version of Josh isn't what the Reds need now.
    Don't think for a moment that Volquez was a key component in the Latos trade. He was more salary dump than anything else. That trade could have been easily done without his inclusion.

Seems like a non-story. What FO wouldn't be "considering" Josh H.?

I wouldn't go over two years for Hamilton. His back keeps him off the field too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know it's not the go-go Aughties anymore where Gary Matthews Jr can get 5 years/50 million, but someone will give Hamilton the deal he's looking for.
    History has shown us that whenever there is a big TV contract signed, teams will spend big. If Team A and Team B only want to give him a 3 year deal, there is always going to be Team C who wants to make a splash and give him those extra 2-3 years. I would say the Marlins fit that profile but they are reportedly in cost-cutting mode - again. You would have to give the edge to an AL team where he's familiar with the pitching and could DH if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I wouldn't go over two years for Hamilton. His back keeps him off the field too much.
    That and his seemingly adolescent understanding of basic nutritional obligations.

Boston? Lots of money to spend.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It seems as if St. Louis were inclined to spend a truckload of money on one particular player, they would have spent the cash on Pujols to keep him a Cardinal, seeing that he was their franchise player.

No way this happens, but would Hamilton even come back here if we had the money? If I remember correct, he wasn't exactly on good terms with the clubhouse when he left and we doubted him enough to essentially flip him for whatever value we could as soon as possible.

He will be 32 in May... and it's an old 32. He's going for that last and final pay-out, which would be a multi-year deal somewhere in the range of 20M/year. Jocketty (Reds) won't even look at him, and I'm on board with that.

Besides.... that would be back-to-back-to back lefties in the batting order (Votto, Hamilton, Bruce). That would put Dusty back in the hospital! LOL

I think he'll end up staying in the AL. Maybe a Blue Jay.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    No way this happens, but would Hamilton even come back here if we had the money? If I remember correct, he wasn't exactly on good terms with the clubhouse when he left and we doubted him enough to essentially flip him for whatever value we could as soon as possible.
    Actually, I think there were prima donnas in the Reds' clubhouse at the time that didn't like all the attention Hamilton was getting. They didn't like all the special treatment that Hamilton was getting from the FO. It didn't help that Hamilton was out performing both of them put together. Of course, the accusation of special treatment was a farce, because both Dunn and Griffey, whom seemed to be the ones named as the biggest clubhouse critics of Josh Hamilton, got so much preferential treatment, the whole thing was silly.

I honestly have never understood all the animosity toward Josh Hamilton by the media and by some fans. Yes, he got involved with drugs. Yes, it took him a while to get clean. Yes, I understand the concept of "Once an addict - always an addict." But has Josh Hamilton actually failed a drug test since his days here in Cincinnati? To my knowledge, his only couple of "relapses" have not involved drugs, but alcohol. You can't tell me that Josh Hamilton is the only baseball player who has had a beer over the last three or four years.

To me, Hamilton's only crime is that he had been open about his past failures and he doesn't want to repeat them. One way he does that is to make himself publicly accountable. That's why he says some of the off-the-wall things he does. Instead, he becomes a target, and every game he misses is scrutinized. He plays hard. And Hamilton feels that if his body cannot play hard, then he is not helping his team by only playing half hard.

If I were Jocketty, you better believe I would be on the phone talking to Josh Hamilton.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Actually, I think there were prima donnas in the Reds' clubhouse at the time that didn't like all the attention Hamilton was getting. They didn't like all the special treatment that Hamilton was getting from the FO.
    I agree with your entire post.
    I also think that the Reds planted stories about Josh in the clubhouse to help justify trading him, so that they wouldn't look as stupid for making the trade.

But yea, it seems that Dunn and Jr had trouble with Josh being the biggest story on the team. I can kind of understand (considering all the crap Dunn and Jr had to deal with from Marty and some fans).. but that doesn't make Josh a bad person.

I can understand the financial reasons why it would be be a bad idea to sign Josh, but he'd be great in this lineup.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree with your entire post.
    I also think that the Reds planted stories about Josh in the clubhouse to help justify trading him, so that they wouldn't look as stupid for making the trade.

But yea, it seems that Dunn and Jr had trouble with Josh being the biggest story on the team. I can kind of understand (considering all the crap Dunn and Jr had to deal with from Marty and some fans).. but that doesn't make Josh a bad person.

I can understand the financial reasons why it would be be a bad idea to sign Josh, but he'd be great in this lineup.
    I don't think the Reds needed to plant any stories justifying the trade. The Reds couldn't see into the future and know Hamilton would stay on the straight and narrow (mostly) keep healthy (mostly) and be one of the elite players in baseball. The potential was there but as a lot of folks on here will say, the Reds needed young pitching more than they needed hitting. The trade didn't work out in the Reds favor but it wasn't like Volquez was the second coming of Eric Milton.

As for Hamilton in the clubhouse, I have no earthly idea what the dynamics were in that clubhouse. I would guess that Hamilton's faith may have made some players uncomfortable. I would also guess that his restrictions on socializing would also make some players uncomfortable. He couldn't go out after games with the fellas for a beer or two. He really couldn't go out period because he couldn't be trusted with money. Another possible strike against him may have been his relationship with the Narrons. Johnny Narron was his handler and the manager was Johnny's brother. Perhaps some of the other players felt they couldn't speak freely around Hamilton because whatever they would say would eventually get back to the manager. Anyone who has played organized sports as a kid have had that kid on their team who was the coach's son. Even if that kid is a great player, there is bound to be some resentment from some players on the team that the kid is only there because he's the coach's kid. Hamilton wasn't the coach's son but he was very tight with the Narrons. Right or wrong, that's bound to cause some ill feelings.

There have been reports that the Rangers don't want him back at any price. Are they too planting stories to make them look good if he leaves? Leaving behind all the personality issues, you have to wonder about Hamilton. Is he the guy from the last 2 months of the season who missed a whole series because of a sinus infection? Or did he miss it because of too much caffeine? Is he the guy who slumped because he quit chewing tobacco? Is he the guy who dropped an easy fly ball and didn't run hard after it? In the town that spawned Charlie Hustle, that's a mortal sin. Or is he the MVP candidate from the last 2 years and earlier this year?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

http://www.dallassportsrant.com/2012...ason-overhaul/

Earlier this week an anonymous member of the Rangers front office said that Hamilton wouldn’t be coming back to Texas, “even if he wanted to play for free.”

Today, Jon Daniels said during the Rangers’ end of year press conference, that they would probably not make an offer to Josh during the three week, exclusive negotiating window provided to teams with free agents.

That’s a pretty good indication of how the organization feels, and the fans definitely reflect that sentiment. Josh Hamilton has worn out his welcome.
    Conspiracy theories about the Reds planting stories, and problems with Dunn and Junior aside, it appears that Hamilton's problems in Texas are of his own making, and have nothing to do with his time here.

I'm sure he'll sign a big contract somewhere. I'd have no problem with him coming back here, for 2-3 years, tops, but that's not going to happen.

I have a feeling that someones going to be paying Josh Hamilton for a very long time after he's done playing baseball. Because he's just not going to play that much longer, IMHO.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?