Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone use Roku or similar devices?

Anyone use Roku or similar devices?

I have thought about trying one out. The concern I have is that there will be very limited live programming on many of the channels offered. I think it is mostly recorded programs that you can choose to watch, and that might get old quick.

Which devices do you recommend? I want to make sure they offer MLB so that I can watch games next year through MLB.TV.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I have thought about trying one out. The concern I have is that there will be very limited live programming on many of the channels offered. I think it is mostly recorded programs that you can choose to watch, and that might get old quick.

Which devices do you recommend? I want to make sure they offer MLB so that I can watch games next year through MLB.TV.
    I have a Roku and I love it. MLB.TV and Netflix alone make it worth it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Anyone use Roku or similar devices?

I have a Roku and an Apple TV. I prefer to watch MLB.tv on the Roku, because the software/interface is better for me. It's easier to turn off "spoilers" (scores) and jump to any inning. So it works like a DVR but with with the ability to jump to certain innings without finding out the final (or current score).

I'll start watching an 7 pm game at around 8 pm and will catch up with the live version at around 9:15-9:30 ish.

I got a refurbished first generation Roku really cheap, IIRC. Works well.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If you have netflix, rokus are great.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I have a Roku XD and love it. I use it primarily for MLB.tv and Amazon Prime instant streaming. When I had HBO Go I really enjoyed using that, too. The picture quality over my fiberoptic connection is fantastic and never buffers.

The one downside to Roku with MLB games is the delay. It's around 1-2 minutes behind a live feed. Not a big deal, but if you are watching the game on Roku, and in a game thread here on Redszone, the game thread will tell you what happened well before you see it on your TV.

But the picture quality is excellent and watching Netflix and Hulu plus on it makes it worth it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

+1 for Roku.

Seems like a piece of junk.

But I have had it for 3 or 4 years now, of heavy use. Still keeps going.

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Just got a Roku to replace my streaming Samsung Blu-Ray player that was a P.O.S.

It's simply great with netflix....Some of the other free channels aren't bad either...I can dial up Soma-FM for free. That's nice.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I have 3 Rokus (an XD and 2 original players) and ~8 other set-top or embedded devices that can access streams.

* Google TV
    * Apple TV
    * Netgear Digital Entertainer
    * Netgear NeoTV
    * Sony BluRay player with streaming
    * Sony TV with streaming
    * Vizio Smart TV
    * Windows 7 HTPC
    * Windows XP HTPC

If your goal is to cover as many streaming bases as possible, the only other device on the market that is equivalent to a Roku is the XBox 360 with Live service.

The main drawback to a Roku is that it doesn't have a browser.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?