Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod

A-Rod

Didn't see a thread on this topic.

Reports have him headed to Miami this offseason with the Yankees picking up almost the entire tab on his contract.

I could also see Boston and the Dodgers as two other possible destinations. He has a complete no-trade clause, and likely would only accept a deal to his hometown.

Given the last line, this is purely hypothetical and would never happen in real life. But since this is a messageboard designed to discuss such hypotheticals, would you take A-Rod on the Reds if the Yankees paid his entire contract? Assuming Ludwick walks, Frazier moves to LF, and you have...

CF Hamilton (once he's ready, which may not be until September)
    LF Frazier
    1B Votto
    3B Rodriguez
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    SS Cozart
    C Hanigan/Mez

Would he be worth the headache and distraction, even at the league minimum? Would you trade Corcino or Cingrani for him straight up? Despite his abysmal reputation, he did OPS .783 in the AL East this year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-18-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A-Rod

At league minimum, sure, you take the risk that with regular rest he can return to career norms. Otherwise, no, because you're paying several million for a guy who has trouble staying on the field.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Yankees will eat a large portion of the remaining money. The more talent going their direction, the more money they'll be willing to eat. Would anyone consider a deal centering around Homer with Cingrani and perhaps one of either Stubbs or Heisey thrown in?

Slogans to live by

Just say no to thinking about ARod on your team

Friends don't let friends talk about acquiring ARod

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    Yankees will eat a large portion of the remaining money. The more talent going their direction, the more money they'll be willing to eat. Would anyone consider a deal centering around Homer with Cingrani and perhaps one of either Stubbs or Heisey thrown in?
    There will not need to be much talent going the Yankees way in whatever deal they get for ARod. They know he has to be moved and will probably eat at least 80-90 million in a deal.

I do not think this is a player the Reds would go after so no way you move Bailey, and I wouldn't move Cigrani either.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

In the hypothetical scenario where I wanted A-Rod

Stubbs, Lotzkar and Netfali Soto, for A-Rod and all his contract paid. Then I guess you could keep him and release him when he got too old.

5 million per every 25 hr past 660 (I think something like that).

I don't know, I wouldn't like hearing fans give him a hard time. If I thought the town could embrace him and leave his past behind, similar to Rolen, I'd say yes. However, I don't really care to hear about Arod every day for the Reds. But I think he'd be an amazing addition to the offense. And his defense isn't statistically that bad, adding value to his WAR even last year.

Jocketty has gone after these older sluggers before: McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen ...

I think A-Rod could really revive himself spending a summer hitting against NL pitching in GABP. But is he worth the drama?

I do like receiving a Yankees subsidy. That seems refreshing.

His OPS has regressed each of the past six years. He will be 37 next season. It won't get any better.

I like whatever the Reds' scouts have to say about it. Those guys are good. For now, it's just a funny idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    His OPS has regressed each of the past six years. He will be 37 next season. It won't get any better.
    And he's a polarizing prima donna.

Good lord, the thought of him on this Reds team is impossible to fathom.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Hmmm...replacing rock steady yet aging quickly vet Scott Rolen with a flighty aging quickly ballplayer who gives his phone number out to women during the course of a playoff game?

Nah.
    sorry we're boring

ESPNradio was speculating this morning that he would be moved, and that the receiving team would only have to pony up $5 Million in 2013 and 2014, and that the Yankees would eat the rest.

I don't have time to look today, but is there any undercurrent in his numbers that suggest a move out of NY would help him? Could he hit enough between Votto and Bruce? Does Frazier become your leftfielder and Arod's caddy, like he was to Rolen?

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but would lean no. Same goes with someone like Youkilis.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?