Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coco Crisp Anyone?

Re: Coco Crisp Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Using Heisey with his .315 OBP as the starter in CF is a good way to avoid offensive improvement on the Reds.

The team finished 12th in NL OBP with .315. If you are replacing a starting player, you probably ought to look at someone who can boost the .315 OBP. Not Heisey.

My problem with Crisp as the full time CFer is that he provides only a small OBP boost. If used as a platoon guy against RHP, however, he adds more. His lifetime OBP v. RHP is .333, last year .337.

I doubt the Reds would acquire Crisp for $7 million to platoon. So he probably isn't the one for the team this off-season.
    I'm not arguing to start Heisey. I'm saying Coco Crisp is not an upgrade over Heisey.

Crisp, based on 2012, would only have gotten on base six more times than Heisey over 600 plate appearances. That's not really an upgrade.

So I'm not advocating that the Reds start Heisey every day, I'm saying that Heisey might as well be thrown out there over the cost of obtaining (and paying) Crisp.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

I suspect all CF decisions line up behind whether the Reds go after Michael Bourn. He wouldn't be my first choice, but they're going to want speed and defense and he's got both in abundance.

Crisp, Fowler and Parra are all possibilities if the Reds hit the trade market. Fowler would be my favorite from that group, followed by Parra. Yet I suspect the Reds will look to fill the CF hole without moving a starting pitcher. Plus, with the fat new TV contract it makes it a lot more easier to spend on a free agent.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd much prefer Fowler, or Bourne to a lesser extent. I am not sure I'd want to chase Crisp, when there are bigger fish in the sea. If we're going to chase someone like Crisp, I agree we've already got similar people in the organization so might as well not waste the money/effort.
    Is it "next season" yet?

My offseason OF priority targets:

1. Re-sign Ludwick only if he'll take 2 years at <$7MM per. Otherwise let him walk.
    2. Justin Upton (if Ludwick walks, play Upton in LF and Stubbs/Heisey until Hamilton is ready in CF)
    3. David DeJesus
    4. Dexter Fowler
    5. Sin Soo-Choo (see #2)

I do not want Michael Bourn. Why lock someone in (expensively) at CF when Hamilton should be ready by 2014 at the latest? I don't see Crisp as a big enough upgrade to justify the $7MM + talent in a trade. I'd prefer DeJesus because he'd presumably come much cheaper than Fowler in a trade (and he's only a one-year stopgap to Hamilton), although Fowler is clearly a much better player. If they'd give up Fowler for Leake and a minor leaguer (not Hamilton or Stephenson), I'd pull the trigger. I don't really know enough about Parra but I guess I could live with that if he came inexpensively. Choo could be an interesting option for LF in his walk year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-23-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I really advocate two players that never come up here:

Michael Brantley &
    Emilio Bonifacio

Both guys could help the team at lead off and CF next year, then move around the OF or INF (Bonifacio) when Hamilton is ready. It also gives Hamilton until 2014-15 if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'm not arguing to start Heisey. I'm saying Coco Crisp is not an upgrade over Heisey.

Crisp, based on 2012, would only have gotten on base six more times than Heisey over 600 plate appearances. That's not really an upgrade.

So I'm not advocating that the Reds start Heisey every day, I'm saying that Heisey might as well be thrown out there over the cost of obtaining (and paying) Crisp.
    I'm guessing the Reds will go cheaper than Coco Crisp. I think Eric Young, Jr. is a more likely candidate for CF.

Heisey as a backup? I think he's the wrong kind of hitter, but as long as he's not playing every day it's no big deal.

Just hopefully they will do something to upgrade the OBP output in that position.

Like M2, I'd prefer Fowler, but suspect the Reds will overpay (Leake, Corcino, or Cingrani) for Eric Young, Jr.

At least he can also play some 2B. Roster flexibility is an undervalued trait.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I really advocate two players that never come up here:

Michael Brantley &
    Emilio Bonifacio
    Brantley would be a great addition if we didn't have to sell the farm to get him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

If we are talking about the trade market, I will throw Denard Span back out there. I would love that .342 2012 OBP and .357 career OBP at the top of the lineup with plus baserunning and plus defense. I think the difference between him and Stubbs may have cost us in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    If we are talking about the trade market, I will throw Denard Span back out there. I would love that .342 2012 OBP and .357 career OBP at the top of the lineup with plus baserunning and plus defense. I think the difference between him and Stubbs may have cost us in the playoffs.
    Agreed. Span should definitely be in the mix. One of the nice things for the Reds is technically there should be a lot of leadoff CF types available either on the open market or via trade.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?