Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: As a Non-NFL Lover, why do the Bengals suck so much?

Re: As a Non-NFL Lover, why do the Bengals suck so much?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Hasn't it been like 20 something years since the Bengals won a playoff game?

Also why is Marvin Lewis still the coach..I know dusty has his haters for various reasons, but at least he has taken a team from zero to 50 in a few years time. I know Marvin has taken this team to a similar route, but have lost quite a few more playoff games in the process.

Also, do any of you think there's a realistic chance of the Bengals ever moving out of Cincinnati if the struggles continue?
    Yes, it's been a long time. It used to be a lot worse than it is now though, anyone who follows can at least tell that the team is trending in the right direction for the first time in a long time. And under Marvin we haven't been terrible, we've been about a middle of the pack NFL team.

Like someone else posted, it's not like the Reds have been more successful in recent years than the Bengals. There's a lot of parallels to be honest. In 2010 the Reds beat up on bad teams and lost to good teams, then had an early exit in the playoffs. In 2011 that's exactly what the Bengals did. Neither franchise has had any postseason success to speak of for quite some time.

Why is Marvin the coach? If you ask me it's because he's about as good as we have been able to get for a while. Just like big name free agent players, big name coaches don't exactly have working for Mike Brown high on their list of things to do.

With all of the really bad, it's still going in the right direction right now. We're missing talent at certain positions and it's hurting us. We're also inexperienced at spots which is also hurting us. Prime example is what Dick Lebeau did to Jay Gruden last night...just outclassed him from a coaching perspective.

Ideally the team continues to mature and either Gruden or Zimmer takes over the HC job while Marvin moves to a FO position where he can be here to put the team together. For all of his faults you cannot say Marvin hasn't done a good job at raising the level of talent all over the team. Whether or not this happens is anyone's guess, but that would be my hope.
    Last edited by Stray; 10-22-2012 at 11:58 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From an offensive standpoint, green is great, Gresham is good, BJE is maybe average. Problem is that Dalton will never be great.

Quote Originally Posted by EDavis44 View Post
    From an offensive standpoint, green is great, Gresham is good, BJE is maybe average. Problem is that Dalton will never be great.
    It's way too early to say that either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    It's way too early to say that either way.
    Disagree. He doesn't have to be great, he could still be good with the right weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by EDavis44 View Post
    Disagree. He doesn't have to be great, he could still be good with the right weapons.
    How many QBs look great 1 and 1/2 seasons out of college? Rodgers was warming the bench, Brees was a backup, Eli was surely a bust and horrible draft pick, Big Ben was a game manager, and I can't think of any others.

It's entirely too early to tell on Dalton. If anything he's ahead of schedule.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Andy Dalton can be Matt Hasselback. He is never going to be more than that, he simply doesn't have that in him. You can win with that kind of guy, but that kind of guy needs weapons around him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Andy Dalton can be Matt Hasselback. He is never going to be more than that, he simply doesn't have that in him. You can win with that kind of guy, but that kind of guy needs weapons around him.
    You could very well be right, but how in the heck does anyone know that at this point? Cam was the closest thing to a sure thing recently and he's struggling big time in his 2nd year.

I don't think there's even a ceiling for Dalton right now. He'll never have John Elway's arm or be 4 inches taller, but people said the same crap about Brees for many years. He could end up being the best QB in Bengals franchise history or he could be out as a starter in a couple of years. I think all of that kinda talk is crazy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    You could very well be right, but how in the heck does anyone know that at this point? Cam was the closest thing to a sure thing recently and he's struggling big time in his 2nd year.

I don't think there's even a ceiling for Dalton right now. He'll never have John Elway's arm or be 4 inches taller, but people said the same crap about Brees for many years. He could end up being the best QB in Bengals franchise history or he could be out as a starter in a couple of years. I think all of that kinda talk is crazy at this point.
    When you watch Cam Newton, you can see the upside. That doesn't mean he will reach it, but it is there. With a guy like Dalton, the upside is Matt Hasselback. I mean sure, I guess he could turn into Drew Brees, but it is incredibly unlikely. Dalton is a guy who has good qualities across the board, but none of them are great (at least physical ones).

Yeah I think the Hasselback comparison is spot on. Not a guy who will bring you back but a guy who won't lose you a game either. We are in yr two with Dalton and I will take that out of him at this point, however he needs to start showing something in the later part of this season cause I really don't want to waste AJ Green on Matt Hasselback.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Two of the three Bengals playoff appearances have been mirages. In 2011 and 2009 they rode terribly easy schedules to playoff berths, and were easily dispatched of once they arrived. In 2005, they actually had a very good team, but any hope was ruined when Palmer's knee went out.

Mike Brown sucks. This franchise sucks. And I don't care about them any more, because they don't care about me. Marvin Lewis has been with the Bengals for 10 years. And is 1-9 against his archrivals, the Steelers, AT HOME. Tell me where that's acceptable anywhere else.

I'm not blaming Marvin Lewis, He's done a great job, considering what he's had to work with. This team will never win anything with the Brown family in charge. And that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Two of the three Bengals playoff appearances have been mirages. In 2011 and 2009 they rode terribly easy schedules to playoff berths, and were easily dispatched of once they arrived. In 2005, they actually had a very good team, but any hope was ruined when Palmer's knee went out.

Mike Brown sucks. This franchise sucks. And I don't care about them any more, because they don't care about me. Marvin Lewis has been with the Bengals for 10 years. And is 1-9 against his archrivals, the Steelers, AT HOME. Tell me where that's acceptable anywhere else.

I'm not blaming Marvin Lewis, He's done a great job, considering what he's had to work with. This team will never win anything with the Brown family in charge. And that's just the way it is.
    2005 was also in the playoffs because of an easy schedule. The defense was awful that year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    2005 was also in the playoffs because of an easy schedule. The defense was awful that year too.
    That team didn't luck into the playoffs. The defense wasn't good, but they led the league in turnovers I believe and that paid off big time during the regular season.

That team didn't luck into the playoffs. The defense wasn't good, but they led the league in turnovers I believe and that paid off big time during the regular season.
    Have you seen a list of those QB's they beat? Woeful.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 10-22-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Have you seen a list of those QB's they beat? Woeful.
    You don't win 11 games in the NFL because of an easy schedule.

You don't win 11 games in the NFL because of an easy schedule.
    True. That's where the lucky breaks come in.

Turn Off Ads?