Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Will the Reds management increase payroll for 2013?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Will the Reds management increase payroll for 2013?

Essentially the question also goes hand in hand with free agent signings.

And if the pricetag is too high to sign anyone because it puts payroll above the self-imposed limit management has set, then the only way to make changes is through trades. And these trades would have to lower payroll or be an even swap.

I read on another thread that Fay tweeted payroll is to max out around $92M, but that Reds officials are saying it will max out below $90M.

Discuss.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will the Reds management increase payroll for 2013?

Yes. New league TV money is rolling in. Most teams will be increasing payroll, either to lock up their current players or bring in new ones.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think they have enough money at bare minimum to replace either Ludwick or Madson's "slots", even though a lot of players are getting raises.
    (Hopefully money for both roles).
    Heck, Rolen's probable retirement means softens the payroll blow as well.

Walt seems like the type that prefers to spend money only when it makes sense though. For example, he's never going to sign a Milton just because he still has payroll money and Milton is the "best available pitcher left", like DanO did.

It seems they are aggressively looking for another relief pitcher at bare minimum.

If we believe the stories of Walt kicking the tires on OF last trading deadline, I bet he has money. I don't think he would've been asking about Garza, Elisbury, Span, etc if this years' payroll was that tight..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If we believe the stories of Walt kicking the tires on OF last trading deadline, I bet he has money. I don't think he would've been asking about Garza, Elisbury, Span, etc if this years' payroll was that tight..
    Good point.

Turn Off Ads?