Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Royals Acquire Ervin Santana and cash from Angels for Brandon Sisk

Royals Acquire Ervin Santana and cash from Angels for Brandon Sisk

Ervin Santana
    Brandon Sisk
    Wow. I thought Santana would have a bit more value than that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Royals Acquire Ervin Santana and cash from Angels for Brandon Sisk

Guy could be a human batting tee with the park change.

Had a tough season, and only really had the one season where he met the perceived expecations. With the money he's making, not shocked at the return.

Still, probably a good flier for KC. If he stinks, they part ways after a year. Spending money and staying away from long term contracts on older players is consistent with what they should be doing while they wait for their talent to gel.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 10-31-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Got to figure the Angels are freeing up space to sign Greinke.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I guess it all depends on how much cash the Royals got

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I guess it all depends on how much cash the Royals got
    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get anymore than half a million. The Angels held a team option on him for $13M with a $1M buyout. They simply could have just let the guy walk for $1M and been without a 26 year old reliever who has never thrown an MLB pitch. They simply wanted to free up the money and they likely found a team who was willing to give them something of potential value for less than the combined price of the cash they sent and what they would have to pay Santana to walk. Given the league minimum of roughly $500K, I doubt the Angels sent anymore than that back, otherwise they would have just paid for his buyout.

Not sure why they wouldn't have sent the whole $1M to get anything at all in return, since they were on the hook for all of it otherwise. Looks like they're trying to do something similar with Haren, his buyout is $3.5M and they're apparently close enough to budget that it could make a difference toward keeping Greinke and/or Hunter.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?