Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunn Comeback Player of Year in AL

Hybrid View

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Dunn Comeback Player of Year in AL

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

.204 BA, but also 41 HR.

Discuss the most polarizing player in my Reds history.

Re: Dunn Comeback Player of Year in AL

I'm surprised his teammate Alex Rios didn't win it.

Congrats to The Big Donkey.

Pronounced dead before his time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Probably the worst batting average ever for anyone who won the award.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I heard that some outfit gave it to Fernando Rodney, which I found puzzling because he didn't really "come back" as much as "come."

The .204 batting average doesn't mean much of anything, but the .333 OBP suggests that he hasn't really come back to where he was even in 2010. I always hated the Dave Kingman comparisons but if he doesn't start getting on base again, those comparisons will become fair.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I heard that some outfit gave it to Fernando Rodney, which I found puzzling because he didn't really "come back" as much as "come."

The .204 batting average doesn't mean much of anything, but the .333 OBP suggests that he hasn't really come back to where he was even in 2010. I always hated the Dave Kingman comparisons but if he doesn't start getting on base again, those comparisons will become fair.
    No way, a ~.200 can't be simply hand waved away. He might be better than last year, but he's still declining pretty hard.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

The .204 batting average means that his OBP is now almost entirely driven by walks.

Dunner, I loved ya, but you're nearing the end.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The .204 batting average means that his OBP is now almost entirely driven by walks.

Dunner, I loved ya, but you're nearing the end.
    Yes. Dunn isn't that old but it is by no means certain he will last long enough to reach 500 career HRs. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dunn's career to be over in a couple of years.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yes. Dunn isn't that old but it is by no means certain he will last long enough to reach 500 career HRs. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dunn's career to be over in a couple of years.
    So does Dunn have a case for HOF if he tops 500? It seemed like 500 was losing some mystique ten years ago, but with the steroid links and suppressed power in recent years, maybe the cachet of the 500 club will still be strong enough to push Dunn in? Or maybe I'm way off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    So does Dunn have a case for HOF if he tops 500? It seemed like 500 was losing some mystique ten years ago, but with the steroid links and suppressed power in recent years, maybe the cachet of the 500 club will still be strong enough to push Dunn in? Or maybe I'm way off base.
    Adam Dunn will be a long shot to make the HOF even if he reaches 500 career HRs. Right now his Hall of Fame Monitor Score is 73, well short of the 100 score of the "average" member of the HOF.
    500 HRs has definitely lost its mystique. When I first started following baseball way, way back in 1965, it was headline stuff when Willie Mays became only the fifth member of the 500 HR club, joining Ruth, Foxx, Williams and Ott. In the 1960s and 70s it was routine to hear media types exclaim that a player had guaranteed himself a place in the HOF when he hit HR no. 500, as if Mays or Mantle or Aaron hadn't already earned first ballot HOF honors prior to hitting no. 500.
    That's not the case anymore. We already have several members of the 500 club who have thus far been denied the HOF. If all Dunn ultimately brings to his argument is 500 HRs and little else, he will not and should not gain HOF membership.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Dunn's problem is that besides OBP, he doesn't bring anything else to the table besides HRs. All these other guys at one time were good to excellent on defense. They didn't get in just because they had 500 HRs.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Dunn won't get 3%.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

In my opinion, Dunn has no chance of making the HOF.
    Too one dimensional.. he hits HR and gets a lot of walks because pitchers pitch around him with men on base (knowing they will either K or BB Dunn, both outcomes better than a HR).
    Look at his reputation now overall.. Have people ever considered him a "star', even during his peak in Cincy/Wash? Nope.. Only 2 all star appearances, best he ever did in MVP voting was 21st..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Or Rob Deer, with more power than Deer, but without Deer's decent defensive skills..
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

.204 BA, but also 41 HR.

Discuss the most polarizing player in my Reds history.
    I take it you weren't a fan when Eric Davis was around in the 80s.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Turn Off Ads?