Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunn Comeback Player of Year in AL

Re: Dunn Comeback Player of Year in AL

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yes. Dunn isn't that old but it is by no means certain he will last long enough to reach 500 career HRs. It wouldn't surprise me to see Dunn's career to be over in a couple of years.
    So does Dunn have a case for HOF if he tops 500? It seemed like 500 was losing some mystique ten years ago, but with the steroid links and suppressed power in recent years, maybe the cachet of the 500 club will still be strong enough to push Dunn in? Or maybe I'm way off base.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    So does Dunn have a case for HOF if he tops 500? It seemed like 500 was losing some mystique ten years ago, but with the steroid links and suppressed power in recent years, maybe the cachet of the 500 club will still be strong enough to push Dunn in? Or maybe I'm way off base.
    Adam Dunn will be a long shot to make the HOF even if he reaches 500 career HRs. Right now his Hall of Fame Monitor Score is 73, well short of the 100 score of the "average" member of the HOF.
    500 HRs has definitely lost its mystique. When I first started following baseball way, way back in 1965, it was headline stuff when Willie Mays became only the fifth member of the 500 HR club, joining Ruth, Foxx, Williams and Ott. In the 1960s and 70s it was routine to hear media types exclaim that a player had guaranteed himself a place in the HOF when he hit HR no. 500, as if Mays or Mantle or Aaron hadn't already earned first ballot HOF honors prior to hitting no. 500.
    That's not the case anymore. We already have several members of the 500 club who have thus far been denied the HOF. If all Dunn ultimately brings to his argument is 500 HRs and little else, he will not and should not gain HOF membership.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Dunn's problem is that besides OBP, he doesn't bring anything else to the table besides HRs. All these other guys at one time were good to excellent on defense. They didn't get in just because they had 500 HRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'd want neither. But at least Stubbs can play the field.
    And run the bases. Dunn can only hurt you in the batters box.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

[QUOTE=RedsBaron;2770194lThat's not the case anymore. We already have several members of the 500 club who have thus far been denied the HOF. If all Dunn ultimately brings to his argument is 500 HRs and little else, he will not and should not gain HOF membership.[/QUOTE]

The guys not in are being essentially blacklisted for steroids though. If he gets a second wind, I think he's got a shot at slipping in the side door for being one of the most consistent post-steroid era sluggers. His skills seem to be drying up quick though.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The .204 batting average doesn't mean much of anything, but the .333 OBP suggests that he hasn't really come back to where he was even in 2010. I always hated the Dave Kingman comparisons but if he doesn't start getting on base again, those comparisons will become fair.
    Or Rob Deer, with more power than Deer, but without Deer's decent defensive skills..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Dunn won't get 3%.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

In my opinion, Dunn has no chance of making the HOF.
    Too one dimensional.. he hits HR and gets a lot of walks because pitchers pitch around him with men on base (knowing they will either K or BB Dunn, both outcomes better than a HR).
    Look at his reputation now overall.. Have people ever considered him a "star', even during his peak in Cincy/Wash? Nope.. Only 2 all star appearances, best he ever did in MVP voting was 21st..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Look at his reputation now overall.. Have people ever considered him a "star', even during his peak in Cincy/Wash? Nope.. Only 2 all star appearances, best he ever did in MVP voting was 21st..
    That's a fair point. Say what you want about his K's not being an issue, but that kept him from ever putting up an eye popping, MVP type season that may have garnered him a few more votes.

Fernando Rios was more deserving.

Dunn's what his critics insisted he was five years ago.

Have you ever had deja deja deja deja deja vu?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    And run the bases. Dunn can only hurt you in the batters box.
    When was the last time Stubbs got on base!!

I take Dunn anyday!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?