Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Cingrani

Salukifan2

Tony Cingrani

Does he project as a starter of reliever? I've heard both.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tony Cingrani

Good question. I personally gravitate towards him becoming a starter, but primarily because he is left-handed and the Reds as a staff are a little lacking in that department.

During college, he was a so-so starter at Rice, but an exceptional closer for them. There was a lot of conversation about him assuming a bullpen role when he got called up towards the end of the year this season. I tend to believe that was a temporary assignment of sorts to get his feet wet at the major league level, though.

He really was a sensational starter this year. In fact, he took a no-no bid into the seventh inning of a game in late June. Posted a 1.73 ERA including a 172/58 strikeout-to-walk ratio over two levels of play. For my money, his meteoric rise has put him at the top of the Reds pitching prospect list and I think his value is just too high to relegate him to a bullpen role.

Ultimately, I think a lot of it hinges on what the plan for Chapman is going forward. If he moves to the rotation, then I'd say all bets are off for Cingrani's future.

Salukifan2

Yeah, his numbers were so staggering that i was very curious.

I think you always have to try these types of guys as a starter first. Starters are on the mound for a lot more innings over the course of a season thus make more of an impact. Got to give him a chance as a starter. If it doesnt work out move him to the pen.

I would say starter and that he has a very good chance of bumping Leake out of the rotation with a good spring
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

Starter. He's got 3 pitches (which is one of the concerns I have about Chapman as a starter, but that's for another thread) and is a 6-4 lefty that throws mid-90's with movement. I'd hate to see a guy that talented relegated to 1 or 2 innings in relief

From what I understand, Cingrani's fastball is more low 90s than mid 90s. Still, I believe his fastball is universally recognized as being a plus pitch - but I think it's due more to deception, movement and/or location as opposed to velocity.

I've also read that Cingrani has 3 pitches he can throw. But I also read that he doesn't use them frequently enough, and this is the reason some question his ability to be a MLB starter. However, I would have to think he's got time to develop his other pitchers, especially if he's already shown that he can throw them effectively on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    From what I understand, Cingrani's fastball is more low 90s than mid 90s. Still, I believe his fastball is universally recognized as being a plus pitch - but I think it's due more to deception, movement and/or location as opposed to velocity.

I've also read that Cingrani has 3 pitches he can throw. But I also read that he doesn't use them frequently enough, and this is the reason some question his ability to be a MLB starter. However, I would have to think he's got time to develop his other pitchers, especially if he's already shown that he can throw them effectively on occasion.
    I agree with this and I feel like a good season in AAA would help him a lot, but I feel like he could also take Leake's spot this season

I've read both low 90s & mid 90s. I haven't watched him frequently enough to know for myself. He may not use his other pitches enough, but they are effective.

He has dynamic stuff is how i read it somewhere I can't remember where that was but if that is true then it should be great. I have also seen somewhere he was compared to Travis Wood with better velocity so if that is true then he should be a starter.

from what i understand, cingrani's fastball is more low 90s than mid 90s. Still, i believe his fastball is universally recognized as being a plus pitch - but i think it's due more to deception, movement and/or location as opposed to velocity.

I've also read that cingrani has 3 pitches he can throw. But i also read that he doesn't use them frequently enough, and this is the reason some question his ability to be a mlb starter. However, i would have to think he's got time to develop his other pitchers, especially if he's already shown that he can throw them effectively on occasion.
    from what i've read from forum members who have seen him pitch on multiple occasions (read: Dougdirt) this is spot on. He hass three pitches but he can only consistently locate the fastball and thus relies too heavily on it.
    If by some chance he can improve his other two enough to get hitters to consistently swing and miss at them, he's a tor guy. That's a big if, though.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I want this guy as a starter. However, I feel kicking Mike Leake out of the rotation is a bit premature. I say we give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE View Post
    I want this guy as a starter. However, I feel kicking Mike Leake out of the rotation is a bit premature. I say we give it time.
    I agree that it's much too early to be giving up on Leake. He's still just "cuttting his teeth" as a ML pitcher. I'm guessing that most of the teams would like to have Leake as their 5th starter. He's proven to be pretty resilient, plus he's cheap. Personally, I think he has the potential to eventually be a No.3 type starter. It may not pan out that way, but you could say that about almost every young pitcher.

I agree that it's much too early to be giving up on Leake. He's still just "cuttting his teeth" as a ML pitcher. I'm guessing that most of the teams would like to have Leake as their 5th starter. He's proven to be pretty resilient, plus he's cheap. Personally, I think he has the potential to eventually be a No.3 type starter. It may not pan out that way, but you could say that about almost every young pitcher.
    I agree, he will fill the void left by Bronson of being used to spit up the guys that throw 90+ he was the Reds second best pitcher in 2011 as well so you can't forget that even though 2011 was horrible. That being said I could see where it would be possible for Cingrani to bump him even though the Reds would probably prefer him to be at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I agree, he will fill the void left by Bronson of being used to spit up the guys that throw 90+ he was the Reds second best pitcher in 2011 as well so you can't forget that even though 2011 was horrible. That being said I could see where it would be possible for Cingrani to bump him even though the Reds would probably prefer him to be at AAA.
    alett12, sorry if I'm getting this thread to far off topic; but just for fun, when you look at Leake do you see more Bronson Arroyo (who Leake is often compared to on the site) or Tom Browning? Personally, I see more Browning. Both Browning and Arroyo had/have to get by a lot on their wits, but Arroyo has more "Bugs Bunny" pitches. To my recollection, Browning was more about keeping hitters off balance by constantly applying pressure with a quick delivery, changing speeds, and good location. Leake may actually have better stuff than Browning, but it seems to me that Browning's approach would be a really good model for him.

Turn Off Ads?