Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adding productive leadoff man is Reds' top priority

Adding productive leadoff man is Reds' top priority

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

I didn't see where this was posted anywhere on here yet, but IMO, and with out question, this has to be this FO's #1 priority in the off-season.

Regardless of the fact we won 97 games.....

This past season, the Reds had seven different players bat first -- Zack Cozart, Drew Stubbs, Brandon Phillips and Chris Heisey saw the most time there, with Willie Harris, Xavier Paul and Wilson Valdez also getting cameo appearances.

The result? Reds leadoff hitters combined to bat .208 with a .254 on-base percentage -- both ranked last in the Major Leagues. The No. 1 hitters scored 83 runs, tied for the second-worst among the 30 big league teams.
    For the last few years we've basically been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole in this area.

We're all excited and dreaming of Billy Hamilton. But the earliest we'll see him is the 2014 season. He's not only learning a new position (CF), but he also has to be allowed to progress through the system and show he can hit, consistently get on base, at this level. So he's not going to be rushed.

So what does this FO do in the meantime?

Bourn would be nice. Two words though.... Scott Boras. He will be a coveted prize this off-season by a lot of teams. Boras is licking his chops, and IMO, no way you'll see him a Red.

The Giant's Pagan, who will be a FA after the WS, would be nice. My guess is he'll stay a Giant because they will throw the money at him.

So what's left? I realize that anything, when looking at who may be available in the market, is better then what we had. So do we settle for that, treat it as a stop-gap move, while keeping our fingers crossed on Hamilton?

I really want no part of Coco Crisp. Not at $7M/yr, and a career .329 OB%. I guess if I had to choose anyone from this article it would be Juan Pierre... he will rack up the singles and walks, batted .307 with a .351 OBP and 37 steals for the Phillies this past season, and earned $800,000 doing it. He's in our price range.

It's just sad what has happened to Grady Sizemore. Always liked him, but the guy has been wrecked with injuries (back, knees).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adding productive leadoff man is Reds' top priority

I'd just keep BP there for the whole season.

Reds need a big bat, not another little one.

If I had to bet on one guy the Reds pick up, I think it's Denard Span (for young pitching).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

They should bat Votto at lead-off. Phillips has been a better hitter in the 3rd or 4th spot than leading off for the past several seasons. Votto is an on-base machine and hitting doubles the way he does from the lead-off spot would put a runner in scoring position immediately.

Let Cozart bat 2nd (he hit 100 points higher from that spot than from leadoff) then follow with Bruce, Phillips, Frazier, LF, CF (whomever that is), Hannigan/Mes, pitcher.

Another advantage of moving Votto up is that the Reds wouldn't be at a disadvantage negotiating a trade or signing a FA since what they need (a left handed outfielder with high OBP) wouldn't be as specific.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    They should bat Votto at lead-off. Phillips has been a better hitter in the 3rd or 4th spot than leading off for the past several seasons. Votto is an on-base machine and hitting doubles the way he does from the lead-off spot would put a runner in scoring position immediately.

Let Cozart bat 2nd (he hit 100 points higher from that spot than from leadoff) then follow with Bruce, Phillips, Frazier, LF, CF (whomever that is), Hannigan/Mes, pitcher.

Another advantage of moving Votto up is that the Reds wouldn't be at a disadvantage negotiating a trade or signing a FA since what they need (a left handed outfielder with high OBP) wouldn't be as specific.
    I'm told that ultimately batting order doesn't matter that much -- as long as your best hitters are somewhere at the top, you are doing something right, which is why Dusty's lineups are sometimes so frustrating. I think batting Joey leadoff would make sense given his propensity for getting on-base. Certainly, the version of Votto we saw post-knee this season could be a dynamite leadoff hitter. Think Tony Gwynn.

But if we get the Joey we all know and love -- the one with the 1.000+ OPS, the doubles machine who hits 30 HR by accident with his "process swing" -- then I think leadoff is a mistake. He's the guy you want hitting with other people on the basepaths; that's how you maximize the value of his XBH.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm told that ultimately batting order doesn't matter that much -- as long as your best hitters are somewhere at the top, you are doing something right, which is why Dusty's lineups are sometimes so frustrating. I think batting Joey leadoff would make sense given his propensity for getting on-base. Certainly, the version of Votto we saw post-knee this season could be a dynamite leadoff hitter. Think Tony Gwynn.
    If Votto still isn't pre-surgery Votto, we've got a lot bigger problems than just figuring out where to bat him in the lineup.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'd just keep BP there for the whole season.

Reds need a big bat, not another little one.
    Spot on. Get a big LH bat for LF who can actually PLAY left field.

But, if the Reds are insistent on getting a leadoff hitter, then trading for Shin Soo Choo is my number 1 target and plop him down in left.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 10-26-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: meant left handed. Although a switch hitter would be great.

I think we can all agree that as long as Dusty is managing the team, Brandon is going to hit in one of the top four spots in the lineup.

Career numbers in those spots

1 265/325/426 751
    2 279/322/427 749
    3 277/323/428 750
    4 282/331/454 785

IMO 750 and 785 are not acceptable numbers for the 3rd and 4th spots
    That leaves leadoff or second.

I'd keep him at leadoff.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If I had to bet on one guy the Reds pick up, I think it's Denard Span (for young pitching).
    Winner! (I hope.)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Spot on. Get a big LH bat for LF who can actually PLAY left field.

But, if the Reds are insistent on getting a leadoff hitter, then trading for Shin Soo Choo is my number 1 target and plop him down in left.
    Agree with this. My priorities:

1. Justin Upton
    2. Dexter Fowler
    3. Jacoby Ellsbury
    4. Shin Soo-Choo
    5. Re-sign Ryan Ludwick to a 2 year deal and get a one year stop-gap in CF.
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Winner! (I hope.)
    If the Reds get Denard Span this off-season, I will be very happy. Then, I will wonder, if the Reds liked him, why didn't we get him at the trade deadline. I really think Denard Span could have been the difference between an NLDS heartbreaker and something more in the post-season.

Span just makes so much sense for a team like the Reds. Let's hope Walt gets it done.

The Reds need OB. If it comes attached to power great. If it comes attached to speed, that's fine too. And Phillips' main offensive value is putting the ball in play with runners on base. He's a better #2 hitter than a #1 hitter.

Plus, it's time the Reds gave Dusty what he wants. He wants a CF who can hit leadoff. Stubbs can't do it, at least not vs. RHPs. Time to get someone who can.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds need OB. If it comes attached to power great. If it comes attached to speed, that's fine too. And Phillips' main offensive value is putting the ball in play with runners on base. He's a better #2 hitter than a #1 hitter.

Plus, it's time the Reds gave Dusty what he wants. He wants a CF who can hit leadoff. Stubbs can't do it, at least not vs. RHPs. Time to get someone who can.
    Reds need a CF and a LF. Reds need a leadoff hitter and a power hitter. Hopefully both can get on base. Seems pretty simple to me.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Reds need a CF and a LF. Reds need a leadoff hitter and a power hitter. Hopefully both can get on base. Seems pretty simple to me.
    It seems simple.... until we see how little money they will likely have.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It seems simple.... until we see how little money they will likely have.
    I'm not entirely convinced that will be the case. They are preparing for a much bigger windfall than has previously been reported.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?