Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adding productive leadoff man is Reds' top priority

Re: Adding productive leadoff man is Reds' top priority

How does everyone feel about Gerardo Parra?
    I like Parra. Excellent defender, can play all 3 spots. Solid if unspectacular LH bat with still some room to grow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like Parra, too, but the Diamondbacks just traded away Chris Young, which clears up some room for him. But if Adam Eaton proves he's more deserving at some point next year (he's off to a good start), Parra might be the next one on the block. Then again, we keep hearing Upton's name come up in rumors, and since Upton would pull in a bigger haul, he might be the next one to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I like Parra. Excellent defender, can play all 3 spots. Solid if unspectacular LH bat with still some room to grow.
    Also, he's Venezuelan. Apparently that's key.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Then they can keep him. He's an improvement, but had 2 bad years prior to this year and doesn't really addess the Reds need against RHP. There are other options who are better fits if Homer is the price.
    Yep, I agree. I'm not selling the farm for Span.
    It seems the Twins were asking the moon for him at the trade dealine.
    If they continue to overvalue him this winter, time to find a different target.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

At some juncture you have to believe that teams as bereft of pitching at the Twins and Rockies will figure out that Span or Fowler for a minor league package is the general direction they need to go.

I'd be fine with Parra, but what do the D-Backs want? SS maybe. They don't have a lot of holes, at least not gaping ones.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    I don't understand the logic behind putting a lot resources towards a long term CF. there's one in our own system that will need a chance soon.

Go short term, get a stop gap. Don't trade the bulk of our remaining good minor leaguers for a position that might not be a hole much longer.

I'd be fine with Parra, but what do the D-Backs want? SS maybe. They don't have a lot of holes, at least not gaping ones.
    Per mlb.com today, they're looking for a starter (innings-eater), a lefty out of the pen and maybe a 3B.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The reason the Reds didn't trade for Span at the deadline was because the Twins were demanding Cingrani (per MLBTradeRumors, I believe). That's too high of a price. If the Twins' demands have come down, the Reds should jump all over the chance at getting him. If not, I don't expect a deal will get done. Cingrani's stock has only risen since then (and it was plenty high to begin with). No way the Reds trade Cingrani for Span, but hopefully they can find a way to put a package of lesser players together for Span. I agree Leake/Ondrusek wouldn't be enough. Maybe Gregorius & Lotzkar? I wouldn't like to deal Didi, but I think Cozart is the long-term answer at SS even though he struggled down the stretch and in the playoffs. Have to remember the kid was a rookie, despite his age. He'll get better for sure, and was very solid as a rookie.

Whatever happens, the Reds need to address the CF/leadoff hitter situation. I can't stomach any more of Drew Stubbs in the starting lineup, even batting 7th or 8th.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    The reason the Reds didn't trade for Span at the deadline was because the Twins were demanding Cingrani (per MLBTradeRumors, I believe). That's too high of a price. If the Twins' demands have come down, the Reds should jump all over the chance at getting him. If not, I don't expect a deal will get done. Cingrani's stock has only risen since then (and it was plenty high to begin with). No way the Reds trade Cingrani for Span, but hopefully they can find a way to put a package of lesser players together for Span. I agree Leake/Ondrusek wouldn't be enough. Maybe Gregorius & Lotzkar? I wouldn't like to deal Didi, but I think Cozart is the long-term answer at SS even though he struggled down the stretch and in the playoffs. Have to remember the kid was a rookie, despite his age. He'll get better for sure, and was very solid as a rookie.

Whatever happens, the Reds need to address the CF/leadoff hitter situation. I can't stomach any more of Drew Stubbs in the starting lineup, even batting 7th or 8th.
    Zach Cozart will be 27 years old next season (he actually turned 27 during last season). He posted a .288 OBP. To expect much growth from that is probably not a good plan. If he were 22 or 23, or had a really low BABIP, then maybe. But he isn't and he didn't.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Cozart is an acceptable answer until he gets expensive. Hopefully we'll have a cheaper option avaialble at that time. This years Cozart is likely what you will get, which is OK as long as he's cheap.

Cozart had 33 doubles and 15 homers this year. He is one of four shortstops nominated for the NL Gold Glove award.

I'm sure he'll focus on trying to boost the OBP, but Zack is a pretty fair shortstop for this team. Of course, he should hit lower in the batting order. But I wouldn't be so fast to get rid of him.

Hold Cozart and Didi for 2013. 500+ ABs for both, Didi in AAA. They need to make the right call with these two. There's nobody behind them in the system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cozart had 33 doubles and 15 homers this year. He is one of four shortstops nominated for the NL Gold Glove award.

I'm sure he'll focus on trying to boost the OBP, but Zack is a pretty fair shortstop for this team. Of course, he should hit lower in the batting order. But I wouldn't be so fast to get rid of him.
    I am not saying get rid of him, but I wouldn't settle on him being the answer either. He is an offensively challenged player, despite good power.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm a Dexter Fowler fan. I know, I know.......the Coors effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    And with that type of hitter, I don't think the Coors effect is a thing really.
    His splits would argue otherwise.

2012: 984 OPS at Coors, 720 OPS on the road
    2009-2011: 910 OPS at Coors, 701 OPS on the road

Fowler is a pretty darn extreme example of the Coors effect.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    His splits would argue otherwise.

2012: 984 OPS at Coors, 720 OPS on the road
    2009-2011: 910 OPS at Coors, 701 OPS on the road

Fowler is a pretty darn extreme example of the Coors effect.
    Agreed. No thanks on Fowler.

Turn Off Ads?