Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade/sell high on Homer Bailey this offseason?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 14.29%
  • No

54 85.71%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade/Sell High on Homer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trade/Sell High on Homer?

This is one of those polls that will be great to look back on midway through next season.

If you could trade Homer Bailey now (presumably for a leadoff/cleanup hitting OF) would you? Do you think he has reached peak value or do you expect him to stay healthy and continue the success he exhibited towards the end of this season?

Simply put, would you sell high on Homer Bailey this offseason?
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Trade/Sell High on Homer?

I voted "no." I just have a feeling that he's finally figured it out this time. I mean, really figured it out. Their patience has paid off. Now they should reap the reward.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I need something stronger than "no"

My real vote is for "Not a chance, no way, that's crazy"
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Have to say yes on this. I don't expect a mid 3's era career from Bailey, especially in GABP. I think a team in a big park would definitely see the value he holds right now. I love how he's a big game pitcher, though, and would prefer him over Leake in that regard. Leake may be harder to trade right now, although he's not expensive either, yet. I think he's a solid #5 and could be extended this year perhaps at a very reasonable rate.

This isn't a salary dump. Keep him if there isn't fair value coming back.

You guys really think he's a #2/#3 type guy?

He could go right out next year and do the same thing, I'm not saying he can't. But I don't like extending him at the rates he can get right now. Too much risk and strain on the budget. We've got to get Latos signed first, no doubt in my mind. I like the value Bailey could bring back, especially in a package with/for other MLB starters. I think of the Kennedy/Jackson/Granderson trade. Bailey is an impact player, I'd want an impact one in return that fills a need long term, perhaps in LF or at 3b since Hamilton will hopefully be in CF (I have to remember that next time I think of Span).

Even if we get none of these needs addressed next year, believe me, I won't hate having Homer Bailey in the rotation. But if I'm trading from strength, I'd pick Bailey as the one who could possibly bring the most back.

What makes you think you would be selling high?

It's not like Homer has maxed out his potential. He is just beginning to scratch the surface. Starting pitchers often take years to reach their potential. No way do I want to trade Homer just as he appears to be turning the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post

It's not like Homer has maxed out his potential. He is just beginning to scratch the surface. Starting pitchers often take years to reach their potential. No way do I want to trade Homer just as he appears to be turning the corner.
    Because I don't have the crystal ball to say he'll be better than this year, his best yet. So he's at his highest value, well, since 2005 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Because I don't have the crystal ball to say he'll be better than this year, his best yet. So he's at his highest value, well, since 2005 or so.
    By that logic, Atlanta could have 'sold high' on Tom Glavine after the 1989 season despite him showing signs of turning the corner and becoming an excellent pitcher. Or they could have ditched him after disappointing 1990 season when he gave back all the gains he made in 1989. Of course, they would have missed out on a Hall of Famer and one of the best LH starters of his generation, but who cares? They sold high. That's what really matters.

By the way, Homer Bailey has about the same number of innings under his belt that Tom Glavine had after that disappointing 1990 season. Never give up on talented starting pitchers too early.

By that logic, Atlanta could have 'sold high' on Tom Glavine after the 1989 season despite him showing signs of turning the corner and becoming an excellent pitcher. Or they could have ditched him after disappointing 1990 season when he gave back all the gains he made in 1989. Of course, they would have missed out on a Hall of Famer and one of the best LH starters of his generation, but who cares? They sold high. That's what really matters.

By the way, Homer Bailey has about the same number of innings under his belt that Tom Glavine had after that disappointing 1990 season. Never give up on talented starting pitchers too early.
    It seems their career paths have been quite different so far. Glavine didn't have injury issues. Their profiles as pitchers are different and the context for their teams are different. I can't worry that Bailey is going to be a generational pitcher.

This is the point I was making on the other thread. 2012 was a career year...until 2013, maybe.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I think from what he showed the last month or so of the season you have to keep him. He was flat out dominate. If he reverts back so be it. But I think he may have figured things out. If he truly has, then you have three awfully good starters at the top of the rotation. It will be hard for any team to match that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Nobody is "untouchable"-it all depends on what you get back in return. If the Tigers want Joey Votto this off season and offer the Reds Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander, then even though I really like Votto I would have to be in favor of that trade.
    As for Homer, it depends on what the Reds could get in return, but I sure wouldn't be actively trying to trade Bailey. Absent a really great offer, I would keep Homer as the Reds number 3 starter.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Nobody is "untouchable"-it all depends on what you get back in return. If the Tigers want Joey Votto this off season and offer the Reds Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander, then even though I really like Votto I would have to be in favor of that trade.
    As for Homer, it depends on what the Reds could get in return, but I sure wouldn't be actively trying to trade Bailey. Absent a really great offer, I would keep Homer as the Reds number 3 starter.
    The Reds are likely in buyers mode, not sellers mode, so the dynamic will have more to do with the Reds asking about others players and then hearing what they'd like for them. Actively shopping Bailey isn't hopefully something we'll hear.

Turn Off Ads?