Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you trade/sell high on Homer Bailey this offseason?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 14.29%
  • No

54 85.71%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Trade/Sell High on Homer?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Trade/Sell High on Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds will fly a 2012 NL Central Champs banner next season. The Giants and Nationals are the only other NL teams that will fly banners based on 2012.
    Giants will fly a World Series banner in 2013. I want one of those.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Difference between the BRM of the 70's and the Braves of the '90's? One World Series Championship.

I'll gladly take 16 consecutive Division Championships, thank you.
    The BRM of the 70's didn't play in a watered-down expansion era with the option of free agency. Therefore, the comparison doesn't seem valid to me.

When all is said and done, despite winning several more division titles during the 90's than the Reds, the Braves of the 90's have won just as many championships as the Reds of the 90's. While it's obviously not a popular opinion around here, IMHO, that (Championship ratio per playoff appearance) is the most relevant statistic.

Sure, I'll gladly take 16 consecutive Division Championships. Heck, I don't even care if some of them are of the wild card variety; after all, the object is simply to qualify for the postseason.

Nobody should obviously expect a World Series appearance and/or Championship each year, but I do not want our favorite team to enter the postseason each year with unaddressed holes in the lineup and/or as prohibitive league favorites just to continually fall short.

While I fully agree with the randomness of baseball element, the aforementioned scenario occurred far too often with a certain franchise in the 90's to be attributed to simply "bad luck."
    I also believe that it was a heck of a lot more than positive random "good luck" bounces that resulted in the two WS championships that the Marlins won without ever capturing the N.L East Crown. They took full advantage of the opportunities presented with timely acquisitions and adjustments and won two championships. That is all that matters. As they say, "scoreboard"

So, in that respect, I fully agree with both Vottomatic and Caveat Emporer here.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    The BRM of the 70's didn't play in a watered-down expansion era with the option of free agency. Therefore, the comparison doesn't seem valid to me.

When all is said and done, despite winning several more division titles during the 90's than the Reds, the Braves of the 90's have won just as many championships as the Reds of the 90's. While it's obviously not a popular opinion around here, IMHO, that (Championship ratio per playoff appearance) is the most relevant statistic.
    You just made that up didn't you?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

While I like the idea of acquiring Garza and DeJesus in one deal, as an earlier post suggested, I cannot envision a scenerio in which said deal can take place without Bailey heading to Chicago.

If it's at all possible to pull off without Bailey, I'd do it.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    You just made that up didn't you?
    Maybe "statistic" was the wrong way to express it. But it doesn't change the fact that the Reds and Braves of the 90's have each won one WS championship, even though the Braves won several more divisional titles.

That was my point.

Turn Off Ads?