Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felix Baumgartner is the Freaking Man

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Felix Baumgartner is the Freaking Man

I've been meaning to post on this guy for a few years. Esquire did a story on him- search it out, awesome story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46751279...science-space/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Felix Baumgartner is the Freaking Man

The photo on MSNBC's home page is amazing- the earth from 13 miles up and Felix getting ready to jump. Traveled 346 mph freefall....good gracious.

Here's the link to the story- his plan is to freefall through the sound barrier.

The reason he's doing it is pretty cool. I believe his wife died in the space shuttle tragedy over Texas- wants to see if astronauts could escape such a mishap.

http://www.esquire.com/features/impo...r-skydive-0810
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 03-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.

BUMP.

Seems as though the weather won't cooperate. Maybe tomorrow.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-09-11-04-58

And a correction- his wife did not die in a shuttle mission. I believe it was a person eorking on the mission whose wife died.

This is the best story...and three fourths of people have no clue it's happening.

When I saw this I thought it odd that you were posting a thread on the Giants pitcher. Oops that's Madison Bumgarner. Oh Felix was postponed again today due to high winds. Sunday looks to be the next chance.

Wow! This is amazing.

I hope the people in Roswell have been well informed or we're going to get all types of UFO sightings.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

This makes me wonder...

Where is the line drawn by law enforcement? People commit suicide in various ways (incl. jumping off something high in the air). Where/how does the law consider things like this OK? Like a stunt to go over the Niagara Falls in a barrel. I think some of the Niagara stunts have been approved and others have been done with no approval. Obviously Felix is not trying to kill himself, but can I do the same stunt without getting some sort of OK? Or would I be arrested and Felix would not (if both survive)?

Is spacesuit knowledge worth the life of a human being? Personally I believe it is more about being in the record book and Red Bull gaining attention than it is about spacesuits.

Party pooper, I know. But common sense and rationale make me think like this lol.

Hope he has Deep Purple's Space Truckin' blaring on the way down. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Hope he has Deep Purple's Space Truckin' blaring on the way down. LOL
    Or how about 1970's David Bowie?!? THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH!

The fact the balloon carrying him up is 1/10th the thickness of a ziploc bag and is 55 stories high is amazing.

This thing makes me giddy. From that height, if he steps off the platform too hard it can send him into a death spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    This makes me wonder...

Where is the line drawn by law enforcement? People commit suicide in various ways (incl. jumping off something high in the air). Where/how does the law consider things like this OK? Like a stunt to go over the Niagara Falls in a barrel. I think some of the Niagara stunts have been approved and others have been done with no approval. Obviously Felix is not trying to kill himself, but can I do the same stunt without getting some sort of OK? Or would I be arrested and Felix would not (if both survive)?

Is spacesuit knowledge worth the life of a human being? Personally I believe it is more about being in the record book and Red Bull gaining attention than it is about spacesuits.

Party pooper, I know. But common sense and rationale make me think like this lol.
    Is it really all that different than the early days of supersonic and space flight? Test pilots were out there risking their necks all the time in order to test barriers that no one thought a human could survive. One slip up or a malfunctioning craft could mean death. And while the aerospace industry wanted to build craft capable of supersonic and space flight, the primary motivation of the pilots was to see who could go higher and faster than anyone else.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I did not realize that the boiling point changes at that altitude. Something like 98.6 degrees...if his visor opens or cracks....not pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/redbull?utm_s...d+bull+stratos

New target launch time is 8am ET tomorrow. (Sunday)

Turn Off Ads?