Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Agency Has Officially Begun

Re: Free Agency Has Officially Begun

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    FoxSports is predicting Bourn to Cincinnati.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/lists/t...photo=31401039

And Hamilton to Atlanta.
    You are just the messenger, so don't take this the wrong way but I don't see how the Reds could sign Bourn. The early projections are in the range of a 5 year deal worth $80M. With all the arbitration raises, that would push the payroll well above the $100M mark. Unless they are sitting on a goldmine that we don't know about, I don't see how that's possible. I guess if he's still sitting around in Jan/Feb, I could see them fitting him in on a 1 year, $10M contract.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    You are just the messenger, so don't take this the wrong way but I don't see how the Reds could sign Bourn. The early projections are in the range of a 5 year deal worth $80M. With all the arbitration raises, that would push the payroll well above the $100M mark. Unless they are sitting on a goldmine that we don't know about, I don't see how that's possible. I guess if he's still sitting around in Jan/Feb, I could see them fitting him in on a 1 year, $10M contract.
    There is no way he is sitting around and willing to take that type of contract. I am sure there are teams that have no idea of his value, but most know he is one of the better centerfielders in the game. I would kill to see him with the Reds, but I don't think the money will be there. Hope I am wrong.

Salukifan2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rocket-in-2013

after reading this i don't see how the reds can go after any free agents unless they find a way to shed some payroll through trades. Michael Bourn especially appears to be out of the reds price range.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    There is no way he is sitting around and willing to take that type of contract. I am sure there are teams that have no idea of his value, but most know he is one of the better centerfielders in the game. I would kill to see him with the Reds, but I don't think the money will be there. Hope I am wrong.
    Nobody thought Madson would be sitting around that long either. I'm just saying, if he is unable to land a gig and all of the other CF holes seem to be filled (I agree, this is unlikely), I think the Reds could find it in the budget to give him a contract like Madson got.

No offense. I believe about 10% of what Fox Sports predicts. It would be nice, but I'm more inclined to got for a bit of a lesser utility type player, and see how Billy Hamilton does if they invite him to ST.

But... Castellini HAS said in the past the money is there for the right players.....

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    No offense. I believe about 10% of what Fox Sports predicts. It would be nice, but I'm more inclined to got for a bit of a lesser utility type player, and see how Billy Hamilton does if they invite him to ST.

But... Castellini HAS said in the past the money is there for the right players.....
    I'm with you there. If we do get him, I won't be complaining

What about a back up infielder of Brandon Inge?

I don't care who plays CF as long as it isn't Mendoza Line Stubbs..

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    What about a back up infielder of Brandon Inge?
    The way he has hit the last couple years, I'd rather give Henry Rodriguez a shot at backing up 2nd and 3rd

Thoughts on Delmon Young for LF if we dont resign Ludwick? He's not even on MLBTR's top 50 free agents this offseason and might be affordable. I know theres always been character issues with him but hes still just 27.

Did you see him in LF during the WS? No thanks

Nobody thought Madson would be sitting around that long either. I'm just saying, if he is unable to land a gig and all of the other CF holes seem to be filled (I agree, this is unlikely), I think the Reds could find it in the budget to give him a contract like Madson got.
    HUUUUUGE difference between a closer who only closed for 1 year and a guy who has been one of the better centerfielders in baseball for the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    HUUUUUGE difference between a closer who only closed for 1 year and a guy who has been one of the better centerfielders in baseball for the last 4 years.
    Again, I have repeatedly said this is unlikely. However, he's a Scott Boras client (like Edwin Jackson, Ryan Madson, Adrian Beltre, etc.) and Boras advises guys who can't get the contract they want to sign a 1 year contract and try again the next season. Again, unlikely, but I think it would be a bit short sighted to dismiss it completely

Turn Off Ads?