Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Senor Votto

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Has Lady Gaga been mentioned yet?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

All music is of a time, place and perspective. If it's not coming from YOUR time, place and perspective, you're less likely to like it. This is especially true when breaking down along gender lines; for the most part, men and women don't like exactly the same music or for the same reasons. That doesn't necessarily make either's music better or worse, it's just different.

Here's how to know something REALLY sucks: when the intended target audience doesn't like it. Otherwise, a little "each to our own" goes a long way.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Yoko Ono.

btw I don't listen to Ms. Swift but I respect her. And her admirers include James Taylor and Springsteen. She's okay
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Yoko Ono.

btw I don't listen to Ms. Swift but I respect her. And her admirers include James Taylor and Springsteen. She's okay
    Def Leppard, too (admirers of Swift).

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post

Go listen to A TRICK OF TAIL or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and then tell me that Invisible Touch is good .invisible touch is a disgrace to the Genesis name
    I'm not one of those dudes who can't like something later in the catalog simply because something that came earlier was better.

5150 is a great album whether Diver Down was better or not.

I think Invisible Touch is a great record. Lamb may be better....it doesn't change anything.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 10-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Has Lady Gaga been mentioned yet?
    Is she cringe worthy? Again, another incredibly gifted writer and successful artist.

I think cringe worthy, I think "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."

You guys are hating on Phil Collins and Lady Gaga. Those guys aren't cringe worthy- that's talent. That's success.

I know it pains people to like pop music, but I don't make apologies for thinking Rod Stewart is better than Pavement. He is.

I'm gonna start a thread about cringe-worthy standup comedians and then bring up Mitch Hedberg...

Everyone should nominate a cringe-worthy video. We could separate them into categories and vote on them. My Cringie nominee would be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIB2gxmFR-A

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Really identify with those lyrics, do ya?
    Not so much. But, it is catchy as can be and I dig most of her music (pop versions, not so much the country versions).

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Who gives a flying damn how many records she sold? That has nothing to do even remotely with the quality of the music, it just means her label has a good marketing department.

She is completely and utterly run of the mill. Her melodies are quite literally nothing, no different than something say, Katy Perry would write. And for an example, not even a hundredth as good as someone like, say, Radiohead's
    Why aren't all of her labels artists doing the same number of sales or quality of music as Taylor Swift has done?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    They also really, really can't ever forget who Taylor Swift is, even if they want to.

I just so happen to think that what CDs my friend's little sisters are buying is a pretty poor barometer of quality.
    Here is a sampling of the artists on my current playlist:

50 Cent
    Alkaline Trio
    Atreyu
    Lil Wayne
    Catch 22
    Drake
    Fall Out Boy
    Green Day
    Hi-Tek
    Hilary Duff
    Hoobastank
    Jay Z
    Jimmy Eat World
    Kanye West
    Less Than Jake
    Muse
    My Chemical Romance
    Nada Surf
    Oasis
    Rachel Platton
    Rage Against the Machine
    Streetlight Manifesto
    Taking Back Sunday
    T.I.
    Taylor Swift
    The Mars Volta
    The Postal Service
    Thrice
    Vanessa Carlton

I listen to an incredibly wide variety of music. It isn't just teenage girls buying her stuff.

For me, the only cringe-worthy artist on Doug's list is Hoobastank. A couple of the others might have cringe-ish moments, but that's the only artist that I find consistently horrible. But I have no idea who Rachel Platton is.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    For me, the only cringe-worthy artist on Doug's list is Hoobastank. A couple of the others might have cringe-ish moments, but that's the only artist that I find consistently horrible. But I have no idea who Rachel Platton is.
    Generally speaking, I agree. But The Reason just hits home for me to a certain point in life. I need to be in the mood to not hit next when it comes on, but it is one of those songs for me.

As for Rachel Platton.... a few of her songs are on my current playlist. Certainly not for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r61LFkzKzQQ

I'm not that into it, but at least it's not cringe-worthy. Btw, check out Regina Spektor for some great music. I can send you some links if you'd like. But back to the cringe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF2o5RDkq9A

Turn Off Ads?