Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    virutally all indy rock, jazz, and American dance pop make me cringe. i tell you no lies, jazz is usually the soundtrack to my nightmares.
    I don't like jazz and the reason is I need to be able to know where the music is heading. I don't react, I play along. That's just me.

Dance music at a club isn't bad in small doses. I don't need to hear fifty songs back to back with the same beat. It is annoying. It was annoying when I was young, it isn't me getting old. Thump, thump, thump, thump. When it is that loud it just beats you up.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I heard one today. I know it isn't a terrible song, but for some reason I can't stand "Slow Ride" by Foghat. If I have control of the stereo, I turn it off immediately. If I don't, I cringe and endure it like a punishment. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.

Ugh!
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This started a giggle fit.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I heard one today. I know it isn't a terrible song, but for some reason I can't stand "Slow Ride" by Foghat. If I have control of the stereo, I turn it off immediately. If I don't, I cringe and endure it like a punishment. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy. Slow ride, take it easy.

Ugh!
    I hear ya.

IMO, "Slow Ride", "Satisfaction", and "Hotel California" fall into the overplayed, overrated category.

I was sick to death of them years ago, and never cared for "Satisfaction" <ducks> at all.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Freebird
    smoke on the water
    stairway to heaven
    I know the classic rock station here around Albany ,N.Y is terrible same stale playlist of classic rock songs since they came out in the 70's Now don't get me wrong i love me some classic rock as much as the next person but c'mon Foghat ,Lynyrd Skynyrd must have put out other songs other than slow ride,and free bird right Maybe somebody can explain why on a lot of classic rock stations they don't play some of the bands other songs other than there "hits".
    Last edited by cinredsfan2000; 11-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMO, "Slow Ride", "Satisfaction", and "Hotel California" fall into the overplayed, overrated category.

I was sick to death of them years ago, and never cared for "Satisfaction" <ducks> at all.
    I feel like being trapped in Hotel California couldn't possibly be any worse than listening to "Hotel California." I can't turn that song off fast enough when I hear it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I still like Hotel California, but I get where you guys are coming from.

Freebird is a half-of-a-listen from me, I turn it off before the long solos and whole second song part.

R4B, take back what you said about Satisfaction. Unless, of course, you are talking about Devo or Britney Spears covers.

A good classic rock station would play everything on both Eagles greatest hits and then some (James Dean for example) and about 15 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (although some people say they did three songs: uptempo song, ballad, and Freebird).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Freebird
    smoke on the water
    stairway to heaven
    I know the classic rock station here around Albany ,N.Y is terrible same stale playlist of classic rock songs since they came out in the 70's Now don't get me wrong i love me some classic rock as much as the next person but c'mon Foghat ,Lynyrd Skynyrd must have put out other songs other than slow ride,and free bird right Maybe somebody can explain why on a lot of classic rock stations they don't play some of the bands other songs other than there "hits".
    For the most part, it's due to the fact that conglomerates are now able to purchase multiple radio stations in a given market thanks to de-regulation, which offers no incentive to be innovative at all. It's very rare that program directors have as much free reign as they used to back in the heyday of "Mainstream Rock" radio.

The irony of this is that stations that specialize in "Classic Rock" today have much smaller playlists of "Classic Rock" than they did back in the day when Rock Radio meant "mainstream AOR"--New Rock and Classic Rock in the same format.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

R4B, take back what you said about Satisfaction. Unless, of course, you are talking about Devo or Britney Spears covers.
    Sorry, I just can't.

Signature song or not --That is the one Rolling Stones track that never did anything for me.

Thanks for that info R4Blue I always sort of chalked it up to lazy d.j.'s and lazy listeners just clamoring for the hits

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Sorry, I just can't.

Signature song or not --That is the one Rolling Stones track that never did anything for me.
    it used to be a song i loved to listen to until i was about 16 or 17. then on a drive from Dayton to Denver it came on several hundred times on my brother's MP3 player.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

High five!

This was pretty high on my specially nate-calibrated insipidmeter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

Yet, it's been viewed over 42 million times...all but 10 by BaseClogger!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    I just want to point out I don't understand the term "AOR". There is plenty of "album oriented" rock out there (even more so than AOR labeled bands), but you would never hear twice of the term today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I just want to point out I don't understand the term "AOR". There is plenty of "album oriented" rock out there (even more so than AOR labeled bands), but you would never hear twice of the term today.

True, but I was speaking in terms of the "AOR" Radio format, also known as "Mainstream Rock", which is sadly virtually extinct today. Rock radio today is generally split into sub-formats--AAA, Alternative, Active Rock and Classic Rock--and rarely, if ever, do you get it all on one station today.

Also, Rock Radio stations used to play more than two or three tracks from current albums/CDs. That rarely occurs today.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Thanks for that info R4Blue I always sort of chalked it up to lazy d.j.'s and lazy listeners just clamoring for the hits
    Yep, Revering4Blue is right, although the trend started even before the mega-conglomerates got going. This was one of the things I learned back in school, before I realized I wasn't destined to be the next Dr. Johnny Fever or Andy Travis, and got a real job instead... the philosophies of programming a radio station and selling records are completely different. Record sales are about positive action -- "buy this song/album." Radio is about the negative action -- "don't touch that dial." Ratings are driven by people who leave the station on all day, and ratings = money. So the programmers focus on filtering out songs that drive people to change the station -- and in a classic rock format, by now they know how the public will react to anything they play.

But as others have noted, there's a "short term gain, long term pain" effect. By restricting the playlists to that degree, they just hasten the "stale" factor and the format's eventual demise. Same thing happened a decade or two back with the oldies stations (playlist: the period between "Rock Around The Clock" and "Sgt. Pepper") -- after awhile, the playlist had been trimmed to only the most familiar tunes, a fourth of which were by the Beatles, and now everyone who wants to hear good stuff from the '50s and '60s listens to XM/Sirius or Pandora. (Insert "aging demographic" joke here)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?