Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Most of all, I find her message, the stories in her songs, and the general persona to be offensive, I really do. The fact that anyone could consider her a role model for young women is something I find borderline abhorrent.
    It's plain, it's vanilla, it isn't country, yet the stories in her songs are borderline offensive, she isn't a role model (abhorrently so) and Call Me Maybe is genius.

Well, there ya have it! LOL....

I don't even know where to start with that, I don't.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I know this will cause a few folks around here to shake their heads, but I really can't stand heavy metal. I can listen to just about anything but that.

That and I'm getting kind of sick of Gangnam Style because every time I go on Facebook someone else has just posted a link to it.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I know this will cause a few folks around here to shake their heads, but I really can't stand heavy metal. I can listen to just about anything but that.

That and I'm getting kind of sick of Gangnam Style because every time I go on Facebook someone else has just posted a link to it.
    I have absolutely no qualms with people who don't have the palate for heavy metal, but some of the stuff out there is the closest thing we have to classical music (aside from classical music ) that is out there today. Tons of musical talent in the genre. I'm not totally into the whole "darkness" element of heavy metal but musically there are some great pieces out there.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I have absolutely no qualms with people who don't have the palate for heavy metal, but some of the stuff out there is the closest thing we have to classical music (aside from classical music ) that is out there today. Tons of musical talent in the genre. I'm not totally into the whole "darkness" element of heavy metal but musically there are some great pieces out there.
    Post-rock seems to more heavily classical thread running through it IMO.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynoMnQDy8Tk

But I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I do not like the cookie monster type singing in the new metal .... I grew up on (Junior HS and HS) Black Flag, TSOL, Megadeth, Buzzcocks, The Clash in the late 70's and early 80's....then Black Flag grew their hair out and started sounding like early Black Sabbath. They were trying to distance themselves from some of the Neo-Nazi punk that was coming out of the Orange County area. I never really went back to anything hard after that, besides G & R and then STP, Nirvana, Wolfmother and Jet.

My brother was very much into Metallica and then Pantera....and then it just seemed to go into the way over the top dark and stupid. But it had to I guess in order to appeal to that audience.

virutally all indy rock, jazz, and American dance pop make me cringe. i tell you no lies, jazz is usually the soundtrack to my nightmares.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Here's another obvious one: Muzak/Elevator Music. It particularly annoys me with automated phone systems when I'm placed on hold.

A new automated option in such cases is sorely needed.

Automated voice: If you'd rather be roasted over hot coals than listen to this bloody awful music, press "0" six times followed by the "pound" key.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    virutally all indy rock, jazz, and American dance pop make me cringe. i tell you no lies, jazz is usually the soundtrack to my nightmares.
    Despite my taste in music, which i posted right before your post....I actually have a guilty pleasure in some pop music. The song "Lights" by I forget who is just stuck in my head and It does not bother me. I learned to play drums listening to jazz records my father had like John Coltrane..... then i went sideways with punk as I got older.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    What do you mean by "indy rock"?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What do you mean by "indy rock"?
    Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, the overwhelming majority of Radiohead that i've been forced to listen to, The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse.

for every one song i actually like from the genre, the same band produces 30 more that offend my senses in what is likely the same way that black metal sonically offends the overwhelming majority of people.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    My brother was very much into Metallica and then Pantera....and then it just seemed to go into the way over the top dark and stupid. But it had to I guess in order to appeal to that audience.
    i think Metallica's biggest problem is they ran out of Mustaine-era material to steal and then Cliff died.

the main reason i never liked much Pantera is Phil Anselmo, i hate that sludgey kinda vocal he uses and i find his lyrics mostly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Despite my taste in music, which i posted right before your post....I actually have a guilty pleasure in some pop music. The song "Lights" by I forget who is just stuck in my head and It does not bother me. I learned to play drums listening to jazz records my father had like John Coltrane..... then i went sideways with punk as I got older.
    Coltrane to Punk is not sideways.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Coltrane to Punk is not sideways.
    Step down in my book, but Coltrane is kind of an acquired taste.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Step down in my book, but Coltrane is kind of an acquired taste.
    BIG step down.

Coltrane is indeed an acquired taste. And Punk, by its own definition, is an acquired lack of taste.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?