Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

"Ebony and Ivory" if we are going with stomach-turning duets.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

If you can watch this without cringing, you might be an android:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    If you can watch this without cringing, you might be an android:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI
    That video killed a budding career.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I was talking to someone last week and they brought this video up as a moment where he jumped the shark.

He had some terrific stuff, though.

High five!

OK, here's a video where, to me, the "moves" are on par with Mr. Squier's.

However, DIFFERENT RESULT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BqLlVHlWA

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I almost posted that song earlier when DougDirt mentioned that band haha. Goddamnit is goddamn perfect...

Pretty lame to talk about cringe worthy music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. People like all different types of music.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Pretty lame to talk about cringe worthy music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. People like all different types of music.
    Are you saying this is a cringeworthy thread?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I guess that could be said about posting in a thread you don't like lol...

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't think "we" have any difficulty distinguishing quality in music, film, etc.
    And yet we've spent the majority of a thread correlating album sales and chart positions with musical quality, so yknow actually, I think "we" might have a pretty big problem with it.

I disagree completely about album sales being the most objective way to judge music. If an album sells well, I think history has shown that it has more to do with its marketability than the quality of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    And yet we've spent the majority of a thread correlating album sales and chart positions with musical quality, so yknow actually, I think "we" might have a pretty big problem with it.
    I don't think we are arguing that at all.

I showed you where Taylor Swift received critical success. You made fun of the sources.

So what you've boiled it down to is that you've decided that since a market consists of teenage girls and lame media likes her, it is therefore not good.

How convenient.

Music is about taste. You don't like her. But we can't be blinded by our own taste to say that something is bad.

I don't like Metallica. I would also tell you they are the best at what they do and are pioneers. I can make that observation by looking at the people who they appeal to and realizing that that group judges them to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I disagree completely about album sales being the most objective way to judge music. If an album sells well, I think history has shown that it has more to do with its marketability than the quality of the album.
    Sell a lot or not, something can be good.

Swift sells a lot and her stuff is good. If you like pop music, you can't deny her appeal.

She writes her own stuff- she isn't some marketing creation. To be that young, write the amount of stuff that she has and have it sell that well- that takes talent. Maybe it's too fun and young and feminine, okay. I get it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You're missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Sell a lot or not, something can be good.

Swift sells a lot and her stuff is good. If you like pop music, you can't deny her appeal.

She writes her own stuff- she isn't some marketing creation. To be that young, write the amount of stuff that she has and have it sell that well- that takes talent. Maybe it's too fun and young and feminine, okay. I get it.
    I probably have the highest amount of praise for Taylor Swift of anyone in this thread, and I believe a large chunk of her sales is due to how she's marketed. She came from money, was modeling, and knew someone in the music scene before she was performing original songs. Had her teeny-bopper country songs been released on a small label, it still might have blown up, but only after her contract was sold to a larger label for more marketing.

Turn Off Ads?