Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

And if you don't mind bad words, search "Skrillex Rapping Freestyle.mp4" on YouTube.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not their best work by a long shot, but, IMHO, not their worst.

"Invisible Touch" was a sell-out tune if there ever was one. The sappy "In Too Deep" didn't do anything for me, either.
    Here's my favorite Genesis tune.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pteh5hdZlg

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Taylor Swift's music doesn't suck.

I realize it's about taste- but it isn't awful. It's not Rush, you know?
    Oh, come on man! Why don't you just cut my heart out of my chest!

Stat geek...and proud

If we're posting bad music videos...I just won the thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6tnj...eature=related

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

There may be other songs just as bad, but I challenge anyone to find a song more "cringe worthy" for any number of reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Here is a sampling of the artists on my current playlist:

50 Cent
    Alkaline Trio
    Atreyu
    Lil Wayne
    Catch 22
    Drake
    Fall Out Boy
    Green Day
    Hi-Tek
    Hilary Duff
    Hoobastank
    Jay Z
    Jimmy Eat World
    Kanye West
    Less Than Jake
    Muse
    My Chemical Romance
    Nada Surf
    Oasis
    Rachel Platton
    Rage Against the Machine
    Streetlight Manifesto
    Taking Back Sunday
    T.I.
    Taylor Swift
    The Mars Volta
    The Postal Service
    Thrice
    Vanessa Carlton

I listen to an incredibly wide variety of music. It isn't just teenage girls buying her stuff.
    I see mainstream rap music, some pop, and the emo pop-punk garbage I listened to in high school...

EDIT: I still listen to some older Alkaline Trio, Dookie, JEW, and Rage Against the Machine though!
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 11-01-2012 at 09:13 AM.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So if it sells then it's working?
    It's probably the measure with the most objectivity, yes.

Not that sales are totally objective.

But otherwise, it's simply a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not their best work by a long shot, but, IMHO, not their worst.

"Invisible Touch" was a sell-out tune if there ever was one. The sappy "In Too Deep" didn't do anything for me, either.
    Of course it's a personal thing, and there's plenty of Genesis that I like and plenty that I don't like, but something about the sound of that "I Can't Dance" song always makes me want to crawl out of my skin. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

And at the risk of seeming stuck in the past, I also nominate the entire "Top Gun" soundtrack as supremely worthy of cringe.

For more recent stuff, anything by Three Doors Down, and while I realize it's low-hanging fruit, Nickelback. Also, someone mentioned Train earlier. That song "Hey Soul Sister" - bleccchhhh.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It's probably the measure with the most objectivity, yes.

Not that sales are totally objective.

But otherwise, it's simply a matter of taste.
    I agree.

But why is it we are so quick to distinguish film based on quality but have difficulty doing the same with music?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I'm gonna start a thread about cringe-worthy standup comedians and then bring up Mitch Hedberg...
    You started a coughing fit with that one...great stuff. I about slipped off my chair lol....

Yeah, I love talking smack with music. I do.

I think I once compared Radiohead to a garden hoe being strung across a violin.

Or something like that. It's also funny to hear Wonderful Monds rag on Rolling Stone because I rag on them too because they five star every single album from bands he loves.

You will find no bigger fan of the Boss than I. Wrecking Ball isn't a four or five star record. Same with all the Dylan stuff. And they rank him above the Stones on theeir greatest artist list. No. DylAn isn't better than the Stones. Nirvama isn't better than Springsteen.

And the bashing of Phil Collins should be punishable by law.

You started a coughing fit with that one...great stuff. I about slipped off my chair lol....

Yeah, I love talking smack with music. I do.

I think I once compared Radiohead to a garden hoe being strung across a violin.

Or something like that. It's also funny to hear Wonderful Monds rag on Rolling Stone because I rag on them too because they five star every single album from bands he loves.

You will find no bigger fan of the Boss than I. Wrecking Ball isn't a four or five star record. Same with all the Dylan stuff. And they rank him above the Stones on theeir greatest artist list. No. DylAn isn't better than the Stones. Nirvama isn't better than Springsteen.

And the bashing of Phil Collins should be punishable by law.
    My biggest criticism of Rolling Sonte, other than their clear bias in their lists towards music from the 1960s and 1970s, is that they don't stick to their reviews. They famously gave Nevermind three stars out of five when it was released, but now have it listed as five out of five. A publication loses all credibility at that point IMO...

My biggest criticism of Rolling Sonte, other than their clear bias in their lists towards music from the 1960s and 1970s, is that they don't stick to their reviews. They famously gave Nevermind three stars out of five when it was released, but now have it listed as five out of five. A publication loses all credibility at that point IMO...
    Drives me nuts as well. And unfortunately now you see (as Dom mentioned) the Springsteens and the Dylans getting stellar reviews just so that the reviewer won't be on the wrong side of history. (Should the album take off)

Sorry for the typos: my ipad doesn't cooperate.

I love Roger Ebert because he gave Halloween 4 stars out of the chute.

That took some guts and some insight.

It's a great film- among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Drives me nuts as well. And unfortunately now you see (as Dom mentioned) the Springsteens and the Dylans getting stellar reviews just so that the reviewer won't be on the wrong side of history. (Should the album take off)
    Springsteen and Dylan are among the greatest of all time (and I can say that as someone who doesn't "get" Dylan and who is perfectly fine criticizing him), but not everything they do is great. You have to know that as a music critic. People with vast catalogs have crappy stuff. That's what I say to those who bash Phil Collins. Yes, there is some crap there. But good lord, the man dominated the music scene for close to ten years- there's massive talent there, and it's pretty foolish to bring up the Disney stuff to define someone.

I used to work with a guy who worshipped Jimi Hendrix and could not stop bashing Bob Seger.

Here's the thing: I can say that from a critical standpoint that Hendrix is better (if you agree that art is more important than accessebility).

But if you are asking me what I enjoy listening to more- aor what would I rather have with me on a long car ride- dude, I'm taking Seger and it isn't close. I listen to Night Moves and hear my life. I relate to it, it brings me to different chapters in my life. That's the reason I listen to music- for the melody, for the lyrics that reflect who I am, and the combination of those two things just takes you back. Music is better than pictures for nostalgia for me. And while Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist, it doesn't satisy why I listen to music.

And really- Taylor Swift gets at that with folks. You don't sell a million plus records in a week, and only appeal to teenage girls. We all had relationships at that age, we all had those feelings of heartbreak, secret crushes, success, failings. For me she captures a lot of that. Again, I wouldn't put that up against Zeppelin, but I wouldn't put Seger up against Hendrix either.

It all has its place, and I can recognize that something is good for its genre.

Springsteen and Dylan are among the greatest of all time (and I can say that as someone who doesn't "get" Dylan and who is perfectly fine criticizing him), but not everything they do is great. You have to know that as a music critic. People with vast catalogs have crappy stuff. That's what I say to those who bash Phil Collins. Yes, there is some crap there. But good lord, the man dominated the music scene for close to ten years- there's massive talent there, and it's pretty foolish to bring up the Disney stuff to define someone.

I used to work with a guy who worshipped Jimi Hendrix and could not stop bashing Bob Seger.

Here's the thing: I can say that from a critical standpoint that Hendrix is better (if you agree that art is more important than accessebility).

But if you are asking me what I enjoy listening to more- aor what would I rather have with me on a long car ride- dude, I'm taking Seger and it isn't close. I listen to Night Moves and hear my life. I relate to it, it brings me to different chapters in my life. That's the reason I listen to music- for the melody, for the lyrics that reflect who I am, and the combination of those two things just takes you back. Music is better than pictures for nostalgia for me. And while Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist, it doesn't satisy why I listen to music.

And really- Taylor Swift gets at that with folks. You don't sell a million plus records in a week, and only appeal to teenage girls. We all had relationships at that age, we all had those feelings of heartbreak, secret crushes, success, failings. For me she captures a lot of that. Again, I wouldn't put that up against Zeppelin, but I wouldn't put Seger up against Hendrix either.

It all has its place, and I can recognize that something is good for its genre.
    Dom, we haven't always seen eye-to-eye in this thread, but I agree with everything you just typed. Excellent post!

EDIT: I'm still gonna choose Hendrix, but I've always been an instruments guy. I think there is a lot more emotion that can be released from a guitar than can be expressed in lyrics. Just my opinion. But that doesn't mean I can't agree with your post.

Turn Off Ads?