Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chase Headley

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Chase Headley

So obviously he's no longer a potential steal or a hidden secret stowed away in Petco Park. He exploded some very real power this year, rare not only for a 3B in today's game, but period.

He gets on base a ton, and statistically he's a good fielder. He's under control two more years as well. I think he could legitimately change the lineup completely.

I wouldn't trade Billy Hamilton or Robert Stephenson and only one of Cingrani or Corcino, but beyond that I would probably be willing to go any 4 maybe even 5 prospects for him.

Leake, Corcino, Lotzkar, Gregorius, Y. Rodriguez

I would probably start with that and see where it got me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chase Headley

Headley at third and Frazier in left? Sign me up. I'm wary of buying high on the guy though.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Headley at third and Frazier in left? Sign me up. I'm wary of buying high on the guy though.
    I see that concern, but he's always been a good hitter away from Petco. He just happened to do it there too this year.

Frazier,Cozart,Leake and Meseroco for Headly and Grandil.Pads would laugh but its worth a try.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Love to have him, but the Pads are moving the fences in. It'd be tough.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Frazier,Cozart,Leake and Meseroco for Headly and Grandil.Pads would laugh but its worth a try.
    I don't see the point in trading back for Grandal. We don't need a catcher. Let Hanigan do his thing, let Mesoraco develop. We'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Love to have him, but the Pads are moving the fences in. It'd be tough.
    True but they still won't be good again for a long time anyway. They can finish in last place without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    True but they still won't be good again for a long time anyway. They can finish in last place without him.
    Padres went 42-33 the second half of last season. They need pitching, but they aren't far off.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I really think that the Padres are a trade for Matt Garza (and some complimentary moves) away from being serious contenders for a playoff spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I really think that the Padres are a trade for Matt Garza (and some complimentary moves) away from being serious contenders for a playoff spot.
    In that division, with the team that's won two of the last three World Series and a mega-market Goliath that just bought half the AL All-Star team? Not to mention a stacked National League with the Reds, Cards, Nats, Braves, Phillies (they'll be back next year) and a pair of others (Marlins and Brewers) that in all likelihood won't underwhelm again like they did last year? I wouldn't hold my breath on a Padres playoff appearance anytime soon.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 10-30-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    In that division, with the team that's won two of the last three World Series and a mega-market Goliath that just bought half the AL All-Star team? Not to mention a stacked National League with the Reds, Cards, Nats, Braves, Phillies (they'll be back next year) and a pair of others (Marlins and Brewers) that in all likelihood won't underwhelm again like they did last year? I wouldn't hold my breath on a Padres playoff appearance anytime soon.
    I don't think that the Padres offensively are tangibly worse than the Diamondbacks, Nationals, or Phillies (an argument could be made that they are better than all three), and are probably on par with the Dodgers, Cardinals, and Braves. They aren't a clear world-beater on that side of the ball, but with a core of Headley, Alonso, Quentin, Grandal, and some good role players like Maybin and Venable, combined with the fences being moved in (which should specifically help Quentin and Alonso), they should be able to score enough runs to stay competitive.

Their starting pitching leaves a lot to be desired. Volquez and Clayton Richard were probably their only two consistent starting pitchers (the two of them combined for about 400 innings, no other starter had even 100), and only Cory Leubke and Eric Stultz started any games at all with an ERA+ of 100 or better (that's right- two starters out of 15 pitchers who made starts for them this year!). This is why I said that getting a top-end starter like Garza- maybe Haren could work, Price or Shields certainly would if the Rays get cheap- could dramatically improve their team. Their 15 starters contained a lot of depressing names like Marquis, Bass, Ohlendorf, Wells, and Suppan. It was almost like the mid-aughts Reds #5 starters had a reunion in San Diego. Somehow getting ~400 innings out of two starters with an ERA+ of 115 or better to replace ~400 innings of an ERA+ of 80 would go a long way given their offensive pieces and the new ballpark dimensions.

A back end of the bullpen that contains Street, Gregerson, Boxberger, and Vincent should be competitive. While every bullpen needs to be addressed in the offseason because of the volatility of relief pitching, they have a good core already there.

I agree that the National League has a lot of competitive teams, but I think that the Padres can be one of those competitive teams if they can improve in their one truly weak aspect of their squad- the starting pitching.
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Heck, if we're going to give that much up, let's go all in and trade for the Mets 3Baseman. LOL.

I don't see the point in trading back for Grandal. We don't need a catcher. Let Hanigan do his thing, let Mesoraco develop. We'll be fine.
    I bet the Reds would see the point.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I wouldn't trade Billy Hamilton
    Boy, I would. Especially now that we know his own organization doesn't think he can play shortstop. I'll take the Reds at their word that the Padres were asking for the moon and stars for Headley. Otherwise, this should have happened last offseason before he put up MVP-worthy road numbers.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?