Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gold Glove nominees named....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Gold Glove nominees named....

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/10/29/3...ists-announced

Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Stubbs, Bruce and Arroyo all named.

IMO the biggest snub is Ryan Hanigan.

Re: Gold Glove nominees named....

Got a few bizarre nominees in there - Aramis Ramirez, Martin Prado, Andre Ethier, A.J. Pierzynski and Brandon Inge. Carlos Gomez and Chris Young are notable omissions.

Most loaded position is AL SS. All three of those guys are dynamite.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Ryan Braun???? He's terrible out there, even for a LF.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Ryan Braun???? He's terrible out there, even for a LF.
    Completely disagree. He was rough out there when he first switched to the position, but he's become a fairly good LF. He has some range, gets decent reads on the ball, takes good routes and has a solid arm. I wouldn't give him a GG, but I'd say the same for almost everyone who plays LF. The days when you could hope for Braun to do something goofy on a flare to LF are long gone.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

FYI: The Reds have the most players named to the nominee list this year out of all the teams in MLB.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I'm guessing Votto and Phillips are virtually sure-things, with both Stubbs and Cozart as distinct possibilities. Arroyo may make it, but he won it last year; so, no, not this year, IMO. Bruce-- notsomuch.

For what it's worth, these are most all the catching stats I see on ESPN.com

Fielding %
    McCann .998
    Yadi .997
    Hanigan .995

Passed Balls
    Posey 2
    Hanigan 3
    Montero 5

SB allowed
    Hanigan 34
    Yadi 38
    Montero 44

Caught Stealing
    Posey 38
    tied for 6th Hanigan 32

CS %
    Hanigan .485
    Yadi .479
    Montero .421

Catchers ERA
    Hanigan 3.05
    Ellis 3.33
    McCan 3.35
    Posey 3.52

And Ryan didn't get into the top 3?!? Like I said, totally ROBBED! Personally I think he should've been the prohibited favorite except for the fact that they'll automatically give it to Molina. But in pretty much EVERY facet of the game defensively, Hanigan was the best in the NL. BY FAR.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    For what it's worth, these are most all the catching stats I see on ESPN.com

Fielding %
    McCann .998
    Yadi .997
    Hanigan .995

Passed Balls
    Posey 2
    Hanigan 3
    Montero 5

SB allowed
    Hanigan 34
    Yadi 38
    Montero 44

Caught Stealing
    Posey 38
    tied for 6th Hanigan 32

CS %
    Hanigan .485
    Yadi .479
    Montero .421

Catchers ERA
    Hanigan 3.05
    Ellis 3.33
    McCan 3.35
    Posey 3.52

And Ryan didn't get into the top 3?!? Like I said, totally ROBBED! Personally I think he should've been the prohibited favorite except for the fact that they'll automatically give it to Molina. But in pretty much EVERY facet of the game defensively, Hanigan was the best in the NL. BY FAR.
    Hanigan should have been nominated but he was not the best in the NL by far. Molina caught 1161 innings compared to Hanigans 879 innings, which is a huge part of why A. Hanigan wasn't nominated and B. why it's hard to compare the two's stats. Molina led all of catchers in baseball in defensive runs saved as well. He won another Fielding Bible Award. I don't see how the two are even comparable on defense. Molina was by far the best defensive catcher in baseball this year, if you take the amount of innings he caught into the equation.

I do question though why Ruiz was nominated and not Hanigan. Hanigan caught more innings and had more defensive runs saved than Ruiz. That is where the snub is, in my opinion.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 10-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Here is Bill James take on who the best defensive players were:

http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_2...bible_awards_/

Yadi was the best defensive catcher in the league this year.

For the record, I have zero amount of butt hurt that Hanigan wasn't nominated for the award.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yadi was the best defensive catcher in the league this year.

For the record, I have zero amount of butt hurt that Hanigan wasn't nominated for the award.
    I think I would describe myself as having a residual amount of butthurt about it, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Hanigan should have been nominated but he was not the best in the NL by far. Molina caught 1161 innings compared to Hanigans 879 innings, which is a huge part of why A. Hanigan wasn't nominated and B. why it's hard to compare the two's stats. Molina led all of catchers in baseball in defensive runs saved as well. He won another Fielding Bible Award. I don't see how the two are even comparable on defense. Molina was by far the best defensive catcher in baseball this year, if you take the amount of innings he caught into the equation.

I do question though why Ruiz was nominated and not Hanigan. Hanigan caught more innings and had more defensive runs saved than Ruiz. That is where the snub is, in my opinion.
    Agree to disagree. Mainly on the stat DRS. I have very little confidence in that stat (and many of the new fielding stats). Molina was by far the best catcher in all of MLB this year. No question. If you include the bat. But defensively & handling pitchers, sorry...not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agree to disagree. Mainly on the stat DRS. I have very little confidence in that stat (and many of the new fielding stats). Molina was by far the best catcher in all of MLB this year. No question. If you include the bat. But defensively & handling pitchers, sorry...not buying it.
    I really think amount of innings caught has to play into the equation here. Who knows how many BP, WP, CS Hanigan would have if he caught the amount of innings Molina did. I think it goes to show you how dominant Molina was this year on defense that Hanigan only had 7 less stolen base attemps against him than Molina even though Hanigan played in something like 270 innings less than Molina. Still, there is no excuse for Ruiz being nominated over Hanigan.

I really think amount of innings caught has to play into the equation here. Who knows how many BP, WP, CS Hanigan would have if he caught the amount of innings Molina did. I think it goes to show you how dominant Molina was this year on defense that Hanigan only had 7 less stolen base attemps against him than Molina even though Hanigan played in something like 270 innings less than Molina. Still, there is no excuse for Ruiz being nominated over Hanigan.
    Let me be clear. Molina is an elite catcher. Period. But every player has ups and downs. This year was Molina's up offensive year and DOWN defensive year. I agree that innings caught should be a factor, but not a deciding one. The quality of those innings are what matters most IMO. And this season, Yadi fell short of Hanny. More guys ran and ran successfully on Molina. But for me, the number one job of a catcher (outside of anything with a bat) is how he handles the pitchers and the results of how he handles the pitchers. I know many don't put stock into Catchers' ERA, but I do. I also put stock into the winning percentage of a catcher. And it's not just with the starters, but with the relievers as well. The whole staff. And this season, Hanigan was better than Molina. Both handling pitchers and defending.

As I said, agree to disagree.

I think it goes to show you how dominant Molina was this year on defense that Hanigan only had 7 less stolen base attemps against him than Molina even though Hanigan played in something like 270 innings less than Molina.
    That makes him more respected perhaps, not more dominant. Hanigan threw out close to 50% of base stealers this year. The more stolen base attempts the better with a rate like that. They're only hurting themselves.

Turn Off Ads?