Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gold Glove nominees named....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Gold Glove nominees named....

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/10/29/3...ists-announced

Votto, Phillips, Cozart, Stubbs, Bruce and Arroyo all named.

IMO the biggest snub is Ryan Hanigan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gold Glove nominees named....

Got a few bizarre nominees in there - Aramis Ramirez, Martin Prado, Andre Ethier, A.J. Pierzynski and Brandon Inge. Carlos Gomez and Chris Young are notable omissions.

Most loaded position is AL SS. All three of those guys are dynamite.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Ryan Braun???? He's terrible out there, even for a LF.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Ryan Braun???? He's terrible out there, even for a LF.
    Completely disagree. He was rough out there when he first switched to the position, but he's become a fairly good LF. He has some range, gets decent reads on the ball, takes good routes and has a solid arm. I wouldn't give him a GG, but I'd say the same for almost everyone who plays LF. The days when you could hope for Braun to do something goofy on a flare to LF are long gone.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

FYI: The Reds have the most players named to the nominee list this year out of all the teams in MLB.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I'm guessing Votto and Phillips are virtually sure-things, with both Stubbs and Cozart as distinct possibilities. Arroyo may make it, but he won it last year; so, no, not this year, IMO. Bruce-- notsomuch.

For what it's worth, these are most all the catching stats I see on ESPN.com

Fielding %
    McCann .998
    Yadi .997
    Hanigan .995

Passed Balls
    Posey 2
    Hanigan 3
    Montero 5

SB allowed
    Hanigan 34
    Yadi 38
    Montero 44

Caught Stealing
    Posey 38
    tied for 6th Hanigan 32

CS %
    Hanigan .485
    Yadi .479
    Montero .421

Catchers ERA
    Hanigan 3.05
    Ellis 3.33
    McCan 3.35
    Posey 3.52

And Ryan didn't get into the top 3?!? Like I said, totally ROBBED! Personally I think he should've been the prohibited favorite except for the fact that they'll automatically give it to Molina. But in pretty much EVERY facet of the game defensively, Hanigan was the best in the NL. BY FAR.

Brandon Phillips seems to think that he won't win. Yesterday, on Twitter, he posted this:
    Brandon Phillips‏@DatDudeBP: My 2012 ⚾ Season/Postseason was GOOD... but NOT GOOD enough: No #AllStar + No #GoldGlove + No #SilverSlugger + No #WSRing = #MOTIVATION
    A lot of folks think Darwin Barney may win 2nd base GG this year. Not that I agree, but just sayin....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

If Phillips doesn't win the silver slugger, who would? Neil Walker? Seriously asking.

Aaron Hill
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Wouldn't be shocked if the Reds get shut out on GG award. Or maybe one winner.

Hanigan was absolutely robbed.

Phillips has a shot, but Barney could win it.

Votto could win it, but the long injury may hurt him.

Arroyo may have the best chance on the team.

I don't expect Stubbs, Cozart, or Bruce to win.

I think the real achievement here is Cozart being a finalist. Well deserved, the rookie really came up big as an all around SS this season, despite OBP problems. SS is the key defensive position on the ball field, Zack being a finalist there is terrific for him.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Aaron Hill
    Ah, yes. I forgot him. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    For what it's worth, these are most all the catching stats I see on ESPN.com

Fielding %
    McCann .998
    Yadi .997
    Hanigan .995

Passed Balls
    Posey 2
    Hanigan 3
    Montero 5

SB allowed
    Hanigan 34
    Yadi 38
    Montero 44

Caught Stealing
    Posey 38
    tied for 6th Hanigan 32

CS %
    Hanigan .485
    Yadi .479
    Montero .421

Catchers ERA
    Hanigan 3.05
    Ellis 3.33
    McCan 3.35
    Posey 3.52

And Ryan didn't get into the top 3?!? Like I said, totally ROBBED! Personally I think he should've been the prohibited favorite except for the fact that they'll automatically give it to Molina. But in pretty much EVERY facet of the game defensively, Hanigan was the best in the NL. BY FAR.
    Hanigan should have been nominated but he was not the best in the NL by far. Molina caught 1161 innings compared to Hanigans 879 innings, which is a huge part of why A. Hanigan wasn't nominated and B. why it's hard to compare the two's stats. Molina led all of catchers in baseball in defensive runs saved as well. He won another Fielding Bible Award. I don't see how the two are even comparable on defense. Molina was by far the best defensive catcher in baseball this year, if you take the amount of innings he caught into the equation.

I do question though why Ruiz was nominated and not Hanigan. Hanigan caught more innings and had more defensive runs saved than Ruiz. That is where the snub is, in my opinion.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 10-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Here is Bill James take on who the best defensive players were:

http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_2...bible_awards_/

Yadi was the best defensive catcher in the league this year.

For the record, I have zero amount of butt hurt that Hanigan wasn't nominated for the award.

Turn Off Ads?