American League: J.J. Hardy
    National League: Jimmy Rollins

THIRD BASE
    American League: Adrian Beltre
    National League: Chase Headley

PITCHER
    American League: Jake Peavy, Jeremy Hellickson
    National League: Mark Buehrle
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Gold Glove nominees named....

Phillips not winning is a joke. No one is better on day in day out basis. I don't care if Barney had only two errors. One reason a player doesn't have as many errors is lack of range. I haven't watch Barney enough to know what kind of range he has but I would be surprised if it was equal to Phillips. The dirty little secrect is that a lot of people are turned off to Phillips personality. Give them a reason not to vote for him and some won't. Barney's lack of errors game them that reason. Oh well maybe this will make Phillips more determined next season to be even better.
    I don't have a problem with any of the other Reds not winning. Molina is clearly the best catcher in the NL. Bruce had too many mis-plays in the of to warrant consideration. Even though hitting shouldn't be factor it is. Stubbs hitting only about .210 killed his chances of winning. Also just not very many good defensive SS in the NL this season. Cozart should have good chance at this awards next season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Senor Votto

I really doubt that Rollins is better than Cozart at this point in time

It seems odd that this was the best defensive team I have ever seen and nobody won a gold glove.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I can deal with Barney over Phillips because he had a very good year and was steady-as-she-goes all season. If you told me I had a ground ball going to second that would determine the fate of the game I'd want either Phillips or Barney out there.

I also have little problem with the other Reds "losing" to their competitors who were quite deserving. The one that burns me up is Rollins winning at shortstop. This isn't supposed to be a lifetime achievement award, voters.

On the bright side, no awards probably saved Mr. Castellini a few bucks. According to COTS, BP's salary increases by $250,000 each year following a Gold Glove. Votto gets $50,000 bonuses for each Gold Glove, Rolen's is the same. (Strangely, so did Mahay, Wuertz, and Valdez...don't laugh.)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Also, Brendan Ryan not winning it seemed almost criminal. He's been arguably the best defensive SS in baseball for the past couple of years now and had the best UZR amongst all SS.
    Didn't Carpenter basically get Ryan ran out of StL because he had the audacity to commit an error or two while he was pitching?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The Reds had six nominees for the GG and a seventh, Hanigan, who is an outstanding defender as well.

That should tell us something about the quality of the defense on this ballclub.

The nominees included SS, 2B, CF. And the catcher is outstanding. Great up the middle defense.

Absence of any winners is annoying, but less important.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-31-2012 at 12:50 PM.

I wouldn't use the choices of these voters as evidence for anything. Fortunately, the quality of the Reds defense is evident with or without their input.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Barney deserved the GG. He's pretty solid, although not as flashy as BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Didn't Carpenter basically get Ryan ran out of StL because he had the audacity to commit an error or two while he was pitching?
    Well other teammates didn't like his attitude. It's not that Ryan was a bad person but he was like an annoying child at times. I would liken it to you're trying to watch TV and your 5 year old continues to turn off the TV. The clubhouse got tired of his antics, which was even before the Carpenter thing. The Carpenter issue was him bringing out the wrong glove and the game had to be delayed a bit. It was sort of the icing on the cake. It just wasn't the Carpenter issue, it was a multitude of things. I liked Ryan but I can see why the Cards traded him and why the players wanted him out.

Phillips not winning is a joke. No one is better on day in day out basis. I don't care if Barney had only two errors. One reason a player doesn't have as many errors is lack of range. I haven't watch Barney enough to know what kind of range he has but I would be surprised if it was equal to Phillips. The dirty little secrect is that a lot of people are turned off to Phillips personality. Give them a reason not to vote for him and some won't. Barney's lack of errors game them that reason. Oh well maybe this will make Phillips more determined next season to be even better.
    I don't get how people can say that Barney doesn't have the range of Phillips. Phillips is a great fielder but Barney lead all of second basemen in UZR this year. A high UZR generally coorelates to a pretty good range. You are right to say that the lack of errors does mean, at times, lack of range (see Jeter). However the advanced stats do not show this for Barney. He won the Fielding Bible Award this year at second, saving 28 defensive runs. Darwin fully deserved the GG this year. Another thing is that Darwin had close to 100 more chances at second than Phillips did even though Phillips played slightly more innings at 2nd than Barney did. That in and of itself tells you the kind of range that Barney had this year. I've never been a fan of Barney but give the kid his due this year. He was stellar.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

His ridiculously stupid name alone should disqualify him from winning the award.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    His ridiculously stupid name alone should disqualify him from winning the award.
    He's friends with this woman I work with, went to college together

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Completely agree with the stupid name part. He's probably one of the players I least like in baseball but all of my hate for him have nothing to do with play on the field. Who the hell names their kid Darwin? The fact that he plays for the Cubs automtically puts him on my dislike list. Lastly, the dude chews his gum like he's a cow chewing his cud. It's like he was raised in a barn. Still... he played brilliantly at 2nd this year

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I kinda saw this result coming unfortunately. I don't agree with it, but oh well.

Turn Off Ads?