Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Obviously a shot at me.
    Is it really a "shot" if it's based purely on factual statements? Is it really unfair to challenge the notion of acquiring fairly unreasonable players without speculating on the repercussions of the suggestion?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Jeff Keppinger would be reasonable. Good guy to have on the bench and play 3B, 2B, 1B and maybe even LF if needed.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Is it really a "shot" if it's based purely on factual statements? Is it really unfair to challenge the notion of acquiring fairly unreasonable players without speculating on the repercussions of the suggestion?
    Hey, if it gets your rocks off insulting people, have at it. Seems to be alot of people on here who need to insult, make fun of, and attack people. I guess it makes them feel important or superior or something. If that's what you need to do to boost your ego, have at it. Usually comes from people with a low self esteem.

I'll refrain from making any suggestions and leave it to the people that know everything.

Get the topic back on track, please.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    You mean something like this?

Always liked that picture. I grew up in Centerville but it explains a lot about New Yorkers

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Ryan Madson Declines Mutual Option
    By Mike Axisa [October 31 at 8:34pm CST]
    Ryan Madson has declined his half of a mutual option for 2013, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The option was worth $11MM, and he'll instead receive a $2.5MM buyout.

Madson, 32, did not pitch at all in 2012 due to Tommy John surgery after signing a one-year, $8.5MM deal with the Reds last winter. From 2009-2011 he pitched to a 2.78 ERA with 9.6 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9, however. The Phillies have some interest in bringing Madson back for next year, but the right-hander will seek a job closing.

You'd think if a team is willing to pickup their half of the mutual option, but the player declines, the player wouldn't get the buyout.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    You'd think if a team is willing to pickup their half of the mutual option, but the player declines, the player wouldn't get the buyout.
    Nah, that'd make sense. We can't have THAT.

It was part of the original agreement. Essentially the Reds signed him for 1 year 10M, and including the buyout as part of the mutual option was simply a way of deferring the 2.5M at the end of the season and give the Reds more money upfront to play around with.

In almost all circumstances the mutual option is turned down by one party. I doubt either party thought there was much of a chance of the option being picked up by both sides.

MLBTR posted their predictions for the top 50 free agents.

I have to say it's appropriate that it's Halloween, given how scary prediction number 44 is.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    MLBTR posted their predictions for the top 50 free agents.

I have to say it's appropriate that it's Halloween, given how scary prediction number 44 is.
    It would make no sense for the Reds not to try to resign Madson because he wants to close just to turn around and sign a far worse closer like Valverde.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hey, if it gets your rocks off insulting people, have at it. Seems to be alot of people on here who need to insult, make fun of, and attack people. I guess it makes them feel important or superior or something. If that's what you need to do to boost your ego, have at it. Usually comes from people with a low self esteem.

I'll refrain from making any suggestions and leave it to the people that know everything.
    Votto, it wasn't a shot at you or anyone else.

It was simply a statement that sugesting that we obtain X,Y,Z star player(s) without mentioning who we would trade for these players, nor how we would handle their payroll implications, isn't particularly helpful.

I think we all know that having Wright at 3B, Trout in CF and Soriano at closer would make the Reds a very good team. So why don't we make this happen?

What is Melky Cabrera expected to bring? People act like he has to take a one year contract to rebuild his cache with baseball. I doubt he would take a whopping outlay of cash.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Ryan Madson Declines Mutual Option
    By Mike Axisa [October 31 at 8:34pm CST]
    Ryan Madson has declined his half of a mutual option for 2013, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The option was worth $11MM, and he'll instead receive a $2.5MM buyout.

Madson, 32, did not pitch at all in 2012 due to Tommy John surgery after signing a one-year, $8.5MM deal with the Reds last winter. From 2009-2011 he pitched to a 2.78 ERA with 9.6 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9, however. The Phillies have some interest in bringing Madson back for next year, but the right-hander will seek a job closing.

The guy gets to rehab on the Reds dime......and if the Reds actually wanted him to stay.....he refused his half of it? He thinks he can get more money somewhere else after what he just went through?

Boras client....so not much of a surprise.

The Reds should make the qualyfing offers to keep Madson and Broxton. If they refuse the $13.3 Million qualifying offers the Reds would receive compensation first round picks. If both or one of the players accept the $13.3 Million then the Reds could either keep them or trade them. Bray and other players could be non tendered if necessary.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 11-01-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Turn Off Ads?